John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Excessive lint/dust on clothes after washing

On 24/12/2021 at 13:13, Louise1305 said:

Hiya,

I’m wondering if anyone discovered a solution for this issue? I am currently having the same problem with my clothes. They are absolutely covered in lint, they emit so much lint all over my house I am forever dusting. My cloths that I wash in my machine can’t be used for cleaning because they just leave lint over every surface. I am at breaking point with it now.😩

On 25/02/2022 at 13:19, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hi Alex. Which problem are you refering to?

The white fibres looking like dust on clothes when you shake it. Happens to be more visible in direct sunlight or by shining a torch.

Like I said, I had that totally covered in my clothes and was bothering me as I would scratch like mad. 

But putting things on a softer wash, using tablets and a little softener reduced it significantly. Also washing anything that is woolly like the inside of jogging bottoms separate and wash them on their own. 

Right so this is a long shot and I don’t know if it’s actually working in the long run but visually I feel like there is a difference. 

I recently bought a tumble dryer and I have been running small loads in it on the air only setting ‘refresh’ with no heat. 

If you remember the state of these blue pyjama bottoms recently, well I’ve been using a smaller amount of washing detergent, a tablespoon worth, letting it air dry and then putting the stuff in the dryer afterwards on the refresh mode with a dryer sheet until the lint trap isn’t really collecting a lot of lint. And I think the difference in the photos speaks for itself. 

The bottom pic is a photo of the lint from the trap from two tiny loads of my children’s clothes. Which I thought was quite a lot considering the amount of clothes that went through the tumble dryer. 

I still think the carpet is one of the issues so I will be replacing that too but I think if the dryer can get the existing lint from the clothes it will change my life. 

BD336C58-2C0B-46EB-84CC-BE0CED218D9C.jpeg

7739F4F6-1ECD-4BED-B9F6-DEA2509561B5.jpeg

5D5F8D90-3EEB-4265-9DE1-0E9107E0B4AB.jpeg

948D4ADA-BFB8-4D6E-B46E-6638B61878F4.jpeg

Hi there, I have the same problem.  It's not the washer or the carpet. I've moved four times and replaced the washer twice. I believe this is a dust mite infestation, and the only solution is to get rid of all fabrics and deep clean your home. Sounds crazy I know! My problem began when I moved into  a duplex in Florida. The Hvac system was covered in dust. It made me and my children very sick. Two of them developed asthma. Not only that, I was so fed up after asking the landlord to fix it the unit because of the excessive dust on it and because it had a terrible water leak, I called the health dept, and found out that I had mold in the ventilation system.  Like I said, I've moved four times since then but the dust follows me wherever I go. I cant afford to get rid of everything, but I feel like it's the only way. It makes you feel dirty and yes I'm OCD, always cleaning. I have an air purifier,  dehumidifier, I've tried striping the laundry in the bathtub. Nothing works. 😞

• Root Admin

Thanks Shawna. They sound horrible little things. Have you seen anything that says that dust mites can cause excessive lint though? My understanding is that dust mites eat human skin and cause allergies, I've not heard anything about them being related to excessive lint on laundry.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy appliance spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

On 01/03/2022 at 13:08, Louise1305 said:

Right so this is a long shot and I don’t know if it’s actually working in the long run but visually I feel like there is a difference. 

I recently bought a tumble dryer and I have been running small loads in it on the air only setting ‘refresh’ with no heat. 

If you remember the state of these blue pyjama bottoms recently, well I’ve been using a smaller amount of washing detergent, a tablespoon worth, letting it air dry and then putting the stuff in the dryer afterwards on the refresh mode with a dryer sheet until the lint trap isn’t really collecting a lot of lint. And I think the difference in the photos speaks for itself. 

The bottom pic is a photo of the lint from the trap from two tiny loads of my children’s clothes. Which I thought was quite a lot considering the amount of clothes that went through the tumble dryer. 

I still think the carpet is one of the issues so I will be replacing that too but I think if the dryer can get the existing lint from the clothes it will change my life. 

BD336C58-2C0B-46EB-84CC-BE0CED218D9C.jpeg

7739F4F6-1ECD-4BED-B9F6-DEA2509561B5.jpeg

5D5F8D90-3EEB-4265-9DE1-0E9107E0B4AB.jpeg

948D4ADA-BFB8-4D6E-B46E-6638B61878F4.jpeg

Hi Louise. Do wash cottons, synthetic separate etc? Use a cotton wash etc? Thank you. 

My dryer has collected so much lint off my clothes and I’ve kept everything separate, stuff that’s been in the dryer and stuff yet to go in but I don’t know if it’s helped at all. I feel like visually there are less fibres on the clothes but there’s still fibres in the air. It’s honestly effecting my mental health so bad. 

5 hours ago, Louise1305 said:

My dryer has collected so much lint off my clothes and I’ve kept everything separate, stuff that’s been in the dryer and stuff yet to go in but I don’t know if it’s helped at all. I feel like visually there are less fibres on the clothes but there’s still fibres in the air. It’s honestly effecting my mental health so bad. 

Louise honestly I feel the same, you’re not alone. I hate going out in public places, other peoples house etc. I feel like this problem will never be resolved. 

37 minutes ago, Emma Roberts said:

Louise honestly I feel the same, you’re not alone. I hate going out in public places, other peoples house etc. I feel like this problem will never be resolved. 

I don’t know what to do anymore. I just sit and cry about it. I know it seems silly to some people but it’s really ruining my life. 

• Root Admin

Hi. How often do you vacuum the carpet, and is the vacuum cleaner definitely working properly and need emptying regularly?

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

15 minutes ago, Louise1305 said:

I don’t know what to do anymore. I just sit and cry about it. I know it seems silly to some people but it’s really ruining my life. 

I totally understand, people just don’t understand. My partner thinks I’m crazy. My children are quite often ill and I’m scared it’s something to do the excessive lint that they’re breathing in. 

28 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hi. How often do you vacuum the carpet, and is the vacuum cleaner definitely working properly and need emptying regularly?

I’ve tried vacuuming less often and more often and I haven’t really noticed a difference. But the vacuum is only 1 year old and picks up quite a bit of grey fluff/lint dust every time I use it on the carpet and hard floors. It’s a canister type so it’s easy to see how much it collects. At the moment I am vacuuming the house daily. 

17 minutes ago, Emma Roberts said:

I totally understand, people just don’t understand. My partner thinks I’m crazy. My children are quite often ill and I’m scared it’s something to do the excessive lint that they’re breathing in. 

My partner is only just realising how much it’s affecting me. Today he was being very sympathetic and it made me feel so much better like I wasn’t going crazy. 

I just don’t understand how we can see what has caused it and how we can fix it. It seems like such a simple problem that would have a root cause but it’s just so difficult. 

I really need help today because I’m feeling so down about the dust in the house. The sun is shining through the windows and all I can see is fibres floating in the air and it’s just never ending. I’m wasting my life and precious time with my kids constantly dusting every single day. Multiple times a day. I can’t cope anymore.😭😭😭

• Root Admin

Hi Louise. How many fibres are there floating? It’s normal to see bits of fibres and stuff floating around in the air when the sun shines in strong. I’ve seen it many times and thought isn’t it weird how we can’t normally see them and we are probably always breathing them in but they don’t seem to do us any harm. 

Apart from the sun shining a light on them so to speak the hot air from the sunshine (and of course radiators) causes a lot of dust and bits to float about. It’s normal of course, but I can’t see how bad it is at your house to make a judgment. 

3 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hi Louise. How many fibres are there floating? It’s normal to see bits of fibres and stuff floating around in the air when the sun shines in strong. I’ve seen it many times and thought isn’t it weird how we can’t normally see them and we are probably always breathing them in but they don’t seem to do us any harm. 

Apart from the sun shining a light on them so to speak the hot air from the sunshine (and of course radiators) causes a lot of dust and bits to float about. It’s normal of course, but I can’t see how bad it is at your house to make a judgment. 

Hi Andy, there’s so much, I feel like it’s never ending. My kids were just playing in the living room jumping around and there was so much in the air more than I would consider to be normal. I can see it in normal light aswell without the bright sunshine. I expect a certain amount to come off clothes but there’s just clouds off one piece of clothing. 

• Root Admin

Have you researched whether any bugs or insects could be damaging the clothes? Search Google for - what could be eating my clothes UK -  

A lot of very interesting stuff comes up. 

• Root Admin

Also, could you vacuum cleaner be ironically making things worse? If vacuuming regularly to get rid of the dust it could possibly be actually pumping loads of fine dust into the air. Read this https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/vacuum-cleaner-lowering-air-quality-in-your-home/

On 12/03/2022 at 12:32, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Also, could you vacuum cleaner be ironically making things worse? If vacuuming regularly to get rid of the dust it could possibly be actually pumping loads of fine dust into the air. Read this https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/vacuum-cleaner-lowering-air-quality-in-your-home/

Thank you for this. So if I put a new item of clothing on it’s on own in the washing machine - it comes out with excessive lint? When I do a drum clean, there’s even more excessive lint on the clothes? 

On 10/03/2022 at 21:39, Louise1305 said:

My partner is only just realising how much it’s affecting me. Today he was being very sympathetic and it made me feel so much better like I wasn’t going crazy. 

I just don’t understand how we can see what has caused it and how we can fix it. It seems like such a simple problem that would have a root cause but it’s just so difficult. 

I feel like it’s getting to me today 😭

• Root Admin
1 hour ago, Emma Roberts said:

Thank you for this. So if I put a new item of clothing on it’s on own in the washing machine - it comes out with excessive lint? When I do a drum clean, there’s even more excessive lint on the clothes? 

In that case it has to be from the washing machine, but I thought you'd replaced the washing machine, and it still did it? Or am I mixing up with someone else?

3 hours ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

In that case it has to be from the washing machine, but I thought you'd replaced the washing machine, and it still did it? Or am I mixing up with someone else?

Yes I replaced the washing machine and the problem was still there. Samsung won’t do anything as there’s no error code. 

On 10/03/2022 at 21:01, Louise1305 said:

This. Is. My. Life. 😩😩 I’ve had this exact same problem for nearly 2 years now, and nothing I have tried has worked! It just started happening randomly one day. I started to notice white on black clothes. Then progressively it started to get worse and worse. And now I’m at the point where I’m stood choking in a thick dust cloud just from shaking an age 3-4 school polo shirt (put the age for reference of how much dust comes from such a small item of clothing.) My mental health has took a massive blow from this. Everyone thinks I’m insane, but until one has to live through this problem and the multiple issues that come with this, they will never understand!! It’s now unbearable. It doesn’t matter how much I shake, the dust doesn’t stop coming. Tried washing everything inside out but when I go outside and shake, I turn garment right way round and another cloud of dust comes out. Doesn’t matter if the clothes are brand new or old, it still happens. I have changed nothing in my house, or the way I have washed my clothes in the past 10 years. 

When I look at my clothes, they look like they have been rubbed with sandpaper. Tried brand new items of clothing in the washer and they come out looking the same. It all started 8 months-1 year after I brought a new Samsung washing machine. The only conclusion I can come to is that the drum is too rough on the clothes. It has now broke down the fibres in the clothes and it’s only going to get worse. Doesn’t matter if I take my clothes to my friends, and try her washer, because the clothes are already damaged. I bought 2 brand new onesies. Exactly the same. Washed one in my washer, one in my friends. Mine came out looking all dishevelled and about 10 years old, and full of dust after drying. Hers came out looking brand new.

I also feel like my washer holds a lot of lint, and doesn’t pump it out. (Had everything checked and there’s no blockages.) I do 90 degree empty cycles with white vinegar after every single wash to try and clean it out, and this has made zero difference. The white cotton wash produces more dust, the black washes look worse. Whatever I wash, I have a whirlwind of dust to live in!!

i know this is a loooong post, but the stress and everything that comes with this problem is debilitating!! Instead of being able to take my washing of the clothes horse and ironing it like normal people, I have to shake it all out outside for hours first. Then iron. Then spend hours vacuuming every inch of the house. Just to come downstairs in the morning and see it settling back on everything because it’s all in the air. And repeat. This is my Groundhog Day.

my clothes, house, car, EVERYTHING is full of dust particles. Now the sun has started to shine and it just makes the issue even worse because it’s hella more noticeable. I don’t want to go out anywhere. I don’t want to bring anyone to my house. I just want the ground to swallow me up because I’m done with this!! 

Some photos for reference.

If anyone finds a solution to or a reason for this problem, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!! 🙏🏼
my heart goes out to you others on here that have to deal with this. I know how hard it truly is. 

3BB36DFB-55D5-41AC-A539-130769D56D5C.jpeg

9AE63F00-8D08-471F-8E17-1FD28F3B76A6.jpeg

D4E6367B-4EBC-4620-94CB-7E14FF6C7EA1.jpeg

43E5F002-0201-428F-A848-773F8911544E.jpeg

Edited by Slcx

• Root Admin

Hi Slcx. It sounds like a terrible problem, and so frustrating not knowing exactly what is causing it. If you say you did an experiment with washing one item at a friends and one at yours and yours came out like that, but hers didn’t, it seems pretty conclusive that it is something about your washing machine and/or the way it’s used. 

Are you washing them on the exact wash cycle the wash labels tell you to? A lot of clothes now have ridiculous restrictions on how you can wash them. Have you checked all the symbols and know exactly what they mean? Having said that it’s hard to imagine that ignoring wash labels would result in such disaster but some of them say do not spin do example, so presumably they cannot cope with the stresses of spinning in a washing machine.  

• Root Admin

Also this seems like something that has no obvious explanation but something is clearly attacking or damaging the fibres in the clothes. Chemicals, friction and insects are the only things I can think of. It will probably need an expert to get to the bottom of it. If it was me I’d get in touch with a company that makes the clothes. I’d buy some from John Lewis or Marks and Spenser. And then if it happens to them, get in touch with them. They are two companies I would expect would investigate it properly if you can get to the right department. 

3 hours ago, Slcx said:

This. Is. My. Life. 😩😩 I’ve had this exact same problem for nearly 2 years now, and nothing I have tried has worked! It just started happening randomly one day. I started to notice white on black clothes. Then progressively it started to get worse and worse. And now I’m at the point where I’m stood choking in a thick dust cloud just from shaking an age 3-4 school polo shirt (put the age for reference of how much dust comes from such a small item of clothing.) My mental health has took a massive blow from this. Everyone thinks I’m insane, but until one has to live through this problem and the multiple issues that come with this, they will never understand!! It’s now unbearable. It doesn’t matter how much I shake, the dust doesn’t stop coming. Tried washing everything inside out but when I go outside and shake, I turn garment right way round and another cloud of dust comes out. Doesn’t matter if the clothes are brand new or old, it still happens. I have changed nothing in my house, or the way I have washed my clothes in the past 10 years. 

When I look at my clothes, they look like they have been rubbed with sandpaper. Tried brand new items of clothing in the washer and they come out looking the same. It all started 8 months-1 year after I brought a new Samsung washing machine. The only conclusion I can come to is that the drum is too rough on the clothes. It has now broke down the fibres in the clothes and it’s only going to get worse. Doesn’t matter if I take my clothes to my friends, and try her washer, because the clothes are already damaged. I bought 2 brand new onesies. Exactly the same. Washed one in my washer, one in my friends. Mine came out looking all dishevelled and about 10 years old, and full of dust after drying. Hers came out looking brand new.

I also feel like my washer holds a lot of lint, and doesn’t pump it out. (Had everything checked and there’s no blockages.) I do 90 degree empty cycles with white vinegar after every single wash to try and clean it out, and this has made zero difference. The white cotton wash produces more dust, the black washes look worse. Whatever I wash, I have a whirlwind of dust to live in!!

i know this is a loooong post, but the stress and everything that comes with this problem is debilitating!! Instead of being able to take my washing of the clothes horse and ironing it like normal people, I have to shake it all out outside for hours first. Then iron. Then spend hours vacuuming every inch of the house. Just to come downstairs in the morning and see it settling back on everything because it’s all in the air. And repeat. This is my Groundhog Day.

my clothes, house, car, EVERYTHING is full of dust particles. Now the sun has started to shine and it just makes the issue even worse because it’s hella more noticeable. I don’t want to go out anywhere. I don’t want to bring anyone to my house. I just want the ground to swallow me up because I’m done with this!! 

Some photos for reference.

If anyone finds a solution to or a reason for this problem, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!! 🙏🏼
my heart goes out to you others on here that have to deal with this. I know how hard it truly is. 

3BB36DFB-55D5-41AC-A539-130769D56D5C.jpeg

9AE63F00-8D08-471F-8E17-1FD28F3B76A6.jpeg

D4E6367B-4EBC-4620-94CB-7E14FF6C7EA1.jpeg

43E5F002-0201-428F-A848-773F8911544E.jpeg

Exactly the same that I’m going through - it’s a nightmare