John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Excessive lint/dust on clothes after washing

Lily

• Members
6 hours ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hi Emma. Thanks, but testing with one towel isn’t a real world test as you should never wash just one towel. The motor will not turn smoothly with just one towel.

I was asking about the wash action on the wash cycle when it’s heating up the water. 

Thank you, won’t do that in the future. I’ll get another video for you tomorrow. 

• Like 1

• Members
On 20/04/2022 at 12:57, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hi Emma. Thanks, but testing with one towel isn’t a real world test as you should never wash just one towel. The motor will not turn smoothly with just one towel.

I was asking about the wash action on the wash cycle when it’s heating up the water. 

I washed new clothes on their own as per labels and i dried them on the line and I shook them, clouds on dust partials came off them, worse than my clothes that I wear often. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
On 02/04/2022 at 09:34, Louise1305 said:

I feel like I’m going round in circles, I’ve been running things through the dryer on only air to collect the excess lint which I thought was working, it’s not getting rid of all of it but it’s reducing it. I took a dark load out of the dryer and shook them and didn’t see much come off it. When I then rewash that stuff it comes out dusty again. It’s got to be the machine.😭😭 it all comes out covered in white fibres again, even if I run a tub clean before I put that wash in. 

How’s its going? Still the same? 

• Members
1 hour ago, Emma Roberts said:

How’s its going? Still the same? 

Exactly the bloody same I could cry. 

• Members
13 hours ago, Louise1305 said:

Exactly the bloody same I could cry. 

Same here, and it’s more sunny it’s more noticeable 

• Root Admin
On 31/03/2022 at 10:58, Emma Roberts said:

So I put a new jumper in wash on it’s own and washed it per label, it came out more dusty than my normal clothes and it had bobbles on it.

Can you put a photo of the wash label up?

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Members
40 minutes ago, Emma Roberts said:

Same here, and it’s more sunny it’s more noticeable 

I’m just fighting a losing battle. I run stuff through the tumble dryer and that does eliminate some lint, there’s still some coming off the clothes but not as much, but then as soon as it goes through the machine again it’s back to square one. My cotton bedding is awful for it, if my daughter sleeps with elastics in her hair there’s grey fluff stuck to the elastics the lint is that bad. 

• Root Admin

Also have any of you tried the air purifiers that filter out dust and fibres from the air? You’d need a good one though recommended by Which?

• Thanks 1

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Members
46 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Also have any of you tried the air purifiers that filter out dust and fibres from the air? You’d need a good one though recommended by Which?

I’ve got two air purifiers one in the living room and one in my bedroom, I can’t realistically afford to buy one for each room. They are the Blu brand and they had amazing reviews, they do the job to some extent but like I say there’s just fibres in all of the other rooms and it’s just a losing battle. 

• Members
On 08/05/2022 at 10:04, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Can you put a photo of the wash label up?

I’ve actually put the jumper into storage bag for the summer but I did wash these new trousers and the washing machine has damaged them on the first wash. All my clothes have holes in or damaged. 89EE8035-8CCE-4F02-A491-C8649C37AC75.thumb.jpeg.b88293e772c5aa55f36162a94ef66810.jpeg39905361-CDE5-4AFC-9651-D7B42189557B.thumb.jpeg.2ea6b41a0a5e296001845ed997bd248f.jpeg

• Root Admin

Hi Emma, did you wash them inside out?

• Members
5 hours ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hi Emma, did you wash them inside out?

Yes I did, I’m so scared about putting them in the wash again, the pulled fabric are all over the trousers. 

• Root Admin

Hi Emma. I can’t see how the washing machine could cause that type of damage on the outside of the jeans when you washed them inside out. It looks like a loop has been pulled.

• Members
5 hours ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hi Emma. I can’t see how the washing machine could cause that type of damage on the outside of the jeans when you washed them inside out. It looks like a loop has been pulled.

100% it was the washing machine, I don’t know what to do, I can’t afford to buy clothes all the time. 

• Root Admin

Hi Emma. Maybe I’m misinterpreting the photo, but it looks like a thread has been pulled outwards or lifted up. That’s something that is caused by something sharp snagging on it and pulling it upwards, which surely couldn’t happen from the other side of the jeans? If washed inside out the thread that got pulled would be in the inside. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 14/05/2022 at 19:51, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hi Emma. Maybe I’m misinterpreting the photo, but it looks like a thread has been pulled outwards or lifted up. That’s something that is caused by something sharp snagging on it and pulling it upwards, which surely couldn’t happen from the other side of the jeans? If washed inside out the thread that got pulled would be in the inside. 

Washed them inside again and this happen

9952B33F-310B-4FA8-9B5C-B529CAC3627F.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Exact same issue here.

I just vacuumed a sweater and then shook it outside and it still had never ending clouds of dust flying off it. 

Everyone thinks I'm crazy.

I live with my dad who has terrible hygiene and is completely oblivious to everything and he doesn't notice. Sometimes I think it's his poor hygeine and dusty room that's spreading it all over my stuff but the fact it's there even after I vacuum and shake my clothes for ten minutes straight makes me feel like... I don't even know it seems almost supernatural to be honest. 

I did move out though for a year and the problem stopped, I basically threw out all my clothes though at the same time and replaced my entire wardrobe. I had to move back due to crappy circumstances and now my new wardrobe is affected again. I can't afford to move out and replace my entire wardrobe again. 

I feel almost suicidal about it. I feel like I can't breathe and I'm dying.

• Like 1

• Root Admin
10 hours ago, Haunted said:

I did move out though for a year and the problem stopped, I basically threw out all my clothes though at the same time and replaced my entire wardrobe. I had to move back due to crappy circumstances and now my new wardrobe is affected again.

Hi, and welcome. Thanks for sharing your experience, which sounds very serious, but at least it is very helpful in that you describe how when you moved out, the problem stopped, and when you moved back in, it tarted again. This at least proves it is caused by something at that house.

The only thing I can suggest at this point, is if you haven't already, go through all of the posts slowly and carefully, and try every thing that's been mentioned. The answer to all of these cases is quite possibly in here somewhere. If the house is not vacuumed enough, maybe there are some dust mites or something that is attacking the laundry, or maybe dust is so bad it is causing the problem. I've heard several times that accumulated dust actually rots curtains and causes them to disintegrate.

So as a start, I would try to vacuum all carpets every day if you aren't doing so already. Also make sure the vacuum cleaner is actually effective and works well! Also consider an air purifier to help remove dust, if only in your own bedroom.

• 1 month later...
  • Root Admin
30 minutes ago, Louise1305 said:

My issue is still exactly the same, nothing has improved. 

Wow. That's remarkable that you just posted as I had an experience this morning that made me think about adding something to this thread. 

The sun was streaming through my bedroom window and I got out of bed and got a t-shirt out of my wardrobe. I had put this t-shirt on the other day but it felt a bit tight so I'd taken it straight off and threw it back 😊

It was a bit crumpled up. So I gave it a good shake, and was amazed at the plume of small fibres that filled the space above my bed. It looked like thousands of very small dust-like particles. I took the following photo although it's not possible to get an accurate representation of how it looked. 

3A0D2EF2-FD5C-43F3-B994-7786EF8B4C2B.png

• Members
5 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Wow. That's remarkable that you just posted as I had an experience this morning that made me think about adding something to this thread. 

The sun was streaming through my bedroom window and I got out of bed and got a t-shirt out of my wardrobe. I had put this t-shirt on the other day but it felt a bit tight so I'd taken it straight off and threw it back 😊

It was a bit crumpled up. So I gave it a good shake, and was amazed at the plume of small fibres that filled the space above my bed. It looked like thousands of very small dust-like particles. I took the following photo although it's not possible to get an accurate representation of how it looked. 

3A0D2EF2-FD5C-43F3-B994-7786EF8B4C2B.png

Hi Andy, yeah this is kind of what this issue is. I understand that a ‘normal’ amount of fibres will always come off clothes however this is so extreme like this T-shirt which you’re describing. There seems to be an endless supply of tiny fibres. This is how every single item of clothing is after air drying straight from a wash. 

• Root Admin

Then I noticed a small fly had landed on the bed and got my trousers that I'd taken off last night and thrashed them on the bed to get the fly. Of course the fly escaped, but another plume of these micro fibres exploded everywhere. 

Throughout this thread I've always said I don't have the problem, but this demonstrates that I do. However, I do suspect that it's most likely normal. Either that or something strange is happening.

In normal day to day use we are totally unaware of any issue at all. And even now I have to say I am not really concerned, as it only seems to manifest if you shake clothes where there's strong sunlight. 

I can't honestly say if it's anything to be concerned about or not for certain. 

• Root Admin

I've just taken the t-shirt off and shook it violently again upstairs, but I couldn't see any more fibres. The sun is no longer streaming, but I couldn't see anything. So in my case at least, the fibres are definitely not an endless supply. 

• Members
11 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Then I noticed a small fly had landed on the bed and got my trousers that I'd taken off last night and thrashed them on the bed to get the fly. Of course the fly escaped, but another plume of these micro fibres exploded everywhere. 

Throughout this thread I've always said I don't have the problem, but this demonstrates that I do. However, I do suspect that it's most likely normal. Either that or something strange is happening.

In normal day to day use we are totally unaware of any issue at all. And even now I have to say I am not really concerned, as it only seems to manifest if you shake clothes where there's strong sunlight. 

I can't honestly say if it's anything to be concerned about or not for certain. 

Do you notice your surfaces in your house are dusty all of the time? 

My main concerns are my children breathing this in constantly. And that all of my cleaning cloths are full of fibres, so when I am cleaning it’s leaving a trail of fibres on everything. 

I have recently been diagnosed with ocd so I know I am quite particular and can be difficult when it comes to cleanliness but I didn’t have this issue before I moved into this house. If I did, I didn’t notice it. 

• Like 1