John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Excessive lint/dust on clothes after washing

• Root Admin

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy appliance spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

4 hours ago, Slcx said:

This. Is. My. Life. 😩😩 I’ve had this exact same problem for nearly 2 years now, and nothing I have tried has worked! It just started happening randomly one day. I started to notice white on black clothes. Then progressively it started to get worse and worse. And now I’m at the point where I’m stood choking in a thick dust cloud just from shaking an age 3-4 school polo shirt (put the age for reference of how much dust comes from such a small item of clothing.) My mental health has took a massive blow from this. Everyone thinks I’m insane, but until one has to live through this problem and the multiple issues that come with this, they will never understand!! It’s now unbearable. It doesn’t matter how much I shake, the dust doesn’t stop coming. Tried washing everything inside out but when I go outside and shake, I turn garment right way round and another cloud of dust comes out. Doesn’t matter if the clothes are brand new or old, it still happens. I have changed nothing in my house, or the way I have washed my clothes in the past 10 years. 

When I look at my clothes, they look like they have been rubbed with sandpaper. Tried brand new items of clothing in the washer and they come out looking the same. It all started 8 months-1 year after I brought a new Samsung washing machine. The only conclusion I can come to is that the drum is too rough on the clothes. It has now broke down the fibres in the clothes and it’s only going to get worse. Doesn’t matter if I take my clothes to my friends, and try her washer, because the clothes are already damaged. I bought 2 brand new onesies. Exactly the same. Washed one in my washer, one in my friends. Mine came out looking all dishevelled and about 10 years old, and full of dust after drying. Hers came out looking brand new.

I also feel like my washer holds a lot of lint, and doesn’t pump it out. (Had everything checked and there’s no blockages.) I do 90 degree empty cycles with white vinegar after every single wash to try and clean it out, and this has made zero difference. The white cotton wash produces more dust, the black washes look worse. Whatever I wash, I have a whirlwind of dust to live in!!

i know this is a loooong post, but the stress and everything that comes with this problem is debilitating!! Instead of being able to take my washing of the clothes horse and ironing it like normal people, I have to shake it all out outside for hours first. Then iron. Then spend hours vacuuming every inch of the house. Just to come downstairs in the morning and see it settling back on everything because it’s all in the air. And repeat. This is my Groundhog Day.

my clothes, house, car, EVERYTHING is full of dust particles. Now the sun has started to shine and it just makes the issue even worse because it’s hella more noticeable. I don’t want to go out anywhere. I don’t want to bring anyone to my house. I just want the ground to swallow me up because I’m done with this!! 

Some photos for reference.

If anyone finds a solution to or a reason for this problem, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!! 🙏🏼
my heart goes out to you others on here that have to deal with this. I know how hard it truly is. 

3BB36DFB-55D5-41AC-A539-130769D56D5C.jpeg

9AE63F00-8D08-471F-8E17-1FD28F3B76A6.jpeg

D4E6367B-4EBC-4620-94CB-7E14FF6C7EA1.jpeg

43E5F002-0201-428F-A848-773F8911544E.jpeg

Your washing looks exactly like how mine comes out of the machine. And I have literally tried absolutely everything and nothing has helped. I have an LG washer for 3 and a half years and have been battling this issue for about 2 years now. 

• Root Admin

The last link I posted looked like it had some good advice on it? It’s clearly a known problem. Maybe it’s just modern clothes, but wouldn’t expect it from Marks & Spencer’s clothes. 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

3 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

The last link I posted looked like it had some good advice on it? It’s clearly a known problem. Maybe it’s just modern clothes, but wouldn’t expect it from Marks & Spencer’s clothes. 

Hi Andy, I’ve seen that article before and tried pretty much everything they have suggested. I am currently washing all my clothes on the gentle cycle now with a less aggressive spin but I’m worried the damage is already done to these clothes. I’m still running everything through the tumble on refresh with no heat to trap some of the lint but getting it all off is proving difficult. I’m going to check some of the M&S clothes and get in touch with them aswell. I don’t know who else would know anything about this issue. 

• Root Admin
1 minute ago, Louise1305 said:

I am currently washing all my clothes on the gentle cycle now with a less aggressive spin but I’m worried the damage is already done to these clothes.

Yes I would think the listed suggestions are more for preventing. It would be interesting to see what Marks and Spencer say. 

Which type of fabric is it that sheds all these fibres?

• Root Admin
3 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

I would think the listed suggestions are more for preventing

But I would have thought it would still help to reduce the problem. 

37 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Yes I would think the listed suggestions are more for preventing. It would be interesting to see what Marks and Spencer say. 

Which type of fabric is it that sheds all these fibres?

It’s everything honestly. The surface of all of my clothes have a really fuzzy texture also. This is a new jumper and it’s only been washed once, it’s shedding so much lint. 

8EA5A5E7-ABFD-410F-BFFB-CEA42DEB8A92.jpeg

• Root Admin

I haven’t studied it, but thought cotton’s wouldn’t be so bad, and some fabrics or combinations particularly bad. Have you also tried using the washing nets to protect specific laundry from rubbing during wash?

25 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

I haven’t studied it, but thought cotton’s wouldn’t be so bad, and some fabrics or combinations particularly bad. Have you also tried using the washing nets to protect specific laundry from rubbing during wash?

I would say the cottons are just as bad, my bedding is awful for shedding my bedroom is the worst affected place for lint dust. My tea towels and kitchen cloths are awful and they get washed by themselves. If I wipe my electric hob the cloths leave behind so much lint. I can’t clean anything properly became of the lint from the cloths. 

I have got some of the bags, it’s worth a try.  

• Root Admin

Could it be that cotton attracts it or it sticks easier to cotton, but it’s come from other laundry?

The thing is we don’t remotely have a problem with it and presumably neither do most people,  so it’s a mystery why a few people have it so bad.

10 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Could it be that cotton attracts it or it sticks easier to cotton, but it’s come from other laundry?

The thing is we don’t remotely have a problem with it and presumably neither do most people,  so it’s a mystery why a few people have it so bad.

Yeah I did think that to be honest because the amount of dark fibres on my bedding from other clothes it’s like it just sticks to it. I wish I didn’t have this problem so badly, I just want to wash my clothes and put them away like a normal person.😭

13A0FC4A-5F23-4320-9E10-C55DF33B55EC.jpeg

• Root Admin

• Root Admin

Can’t remember, have we excluded tumble dryers from causing friction and static?

4 hours ago, Louise1305 said:

It’s everything honestly. The surface of all of my clothes have a really fuzzy texture also. This is a new jumper and it’s only been washed once, it’s shedding so much lint. 

8EA5A5E7-ABFD-410F-BFFB-CEA42DEB8A92.jpeg

This is exactly what all my clothes look like. 
Like the fibres have been cut, or the garments have been shaved or rubbed with a nail file. I find 100% cotton stuff the absolute worst! White items like school polo shirts etc. They look fine when wet, but as soon as they’re dry, they’re all fuzzy and the dust storm occurs.
The dark wash absolutely baffles and infuriates me. I will 90 degree vinegar empty wash 2-3 times. Wipe out the inside drum and around all the rubber. Put my dark wash in, literally black T-shirts, black trousers etc. Nothing remotely white, yet it all still comes out absolutely covered in white bits!! I’ve even tried shaking, hoovering and lint rolling the clothes before putting them into the washer. But nothing at all seems to make even a tiny bit of difference! It has well and truly taken over my life. 

This is an example. A pair of 100% cotton kids pjs. First time washed. Notice all the edges. That’s what everything looks like after washing. They look really old and tatty, yet they are brand new!? All our clothing looks run down and over-worn, when actually it’s only been washed a handful of times. 😫

ABB5E9CA-9577-419A-A0E9-716C15EA1137.jpeg

0D6D2F5F-58E4-4B9E-829F-CE57CC7AF734.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Slcx said:

This is exactly what all my clothes look like. 
Like the fibres have been cut, or the garments have been shaved or rubbed with a nail file. I find 100% cotton stuff the absolute worst! White items like school polo shirts etc. They look fine when wet, but as soon as they’re dry, they’re all fuzzy and the dust storm occurs.
The dark wash absolutely baffles and infuriates me. I will 90 degree vinegar empty wash 2-3 times. Wipe out the inside drum and around all the rubber. Put my dark wash in, literally black T-shirts, black trousers etc. Nothing remotely white, yet it all still comes out absolutely covered in white bits!! I’ve even tried shaking, hoovering and lint rolling the clothes before putting them into the washer. But nothing at all seems to make even a tiny bit of difference! It has well and truly taken over my life. 

This is an example. A pair of 100% cotton kids pjs. First time washed. Notice all the edges. That’s what everything looks like after washing. They look really old and tatty, yet they are brand new!? All our clothing looks run down and over-worn, when actually it’s only been washed a handful of times. 😫

ABB5E9CA-9577-419A-A0E9-716C15EA1137.jpeg

0D6D2F5F-58E4-4B9E-829F-CE57CC7AF734.jpeg

That’s exactly like mine. I wonder what could be causing it? It was fine before and now it’s just a big massive problem. 

What washing machine do you have?

• Root Admin
On 18/03/2022 at 19:16, Slcx said:

First time washed. Notice all the edges. That’s what everything looks like after washing

Hi there. Can you tell me exactly what it says on the wash label?

18 hours ago, Emma Roberts said:

You have let us know the outcome, how do you feel about that? 

I dunno because if I pay them to come and look at it and it’s nothing to do with the machine then I’ve ultimately wasted my money? I’m just running everything through the tumble dryer on refresh still and it’s collecting loads of lint. Slowly working my way through all of the clothes, towels and blankets. I don’t know if it’s making a difference yet but it can’t be doing any harm.🤷‍♀️

• Root Admin
1 hour ago, Louise1305 said:

I dunno because if I pay them to come and look at it and it’s nothing to do with the machine then I’ve ultimately wasted my money?

I fully understand, and I do appreciate that money is tight these days for most people and things are getting really bad, but I do disagree that it would be a waste of money. In the sense that if an engineer tests the washing machine (properly) and states there is nothing wrong with it at all, then it has eliminated one of the causes, and advanced the process of finding the cause of the problem. However, whether the engineer could be trusted to test the washing machine and fully understand the nature of the issue is another matter.

• Root Admin

Also, are you washing all similarly coloured items together and not mixing them with light? I know this is potentially difficult, but from my understanding of reading some of the pages that I have linked to other sites looking at this issue, it seems that to a great extent this shedding is now considered normal. So if all dark laundry is washed together, and all light laundry is washed separately, it prevents the problem of dark fibres contaminating light laundry and showing up really bad.

Having said that, it still remains to be seen if there is a specific issue somewhere that is causing it because to be fair most people do mix their laundry including my wife who seems to just bung everything together on 40° cottons but we have never noticed any problem at all. Is it certain types of clothing that are more susceptible to it such as children's clothes, "fashionable clothes" or clothes from certain shops?

6 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Also, are you washing all similarly coloured items together and not mixing them with light? I know this is potentially difficult, but from my understanding of reading some of the pages that I have linked to other sites looking at this issue, it seems that to a great extent this shedding is now considered normal. So if all dark laundry is washed together, and all light laundry is washed separately, it prevents the problem of dark fibres contaminating light laundry and showing up really bad.

Having said that, it still remains to be seen if there is a specific issue somewhere that is causing it because to be fair most people do mix their laundry including my wife who seems to just bung everything together on 40° cottons but we have never noticed any problem at all. Is it certain types of clothing that are more susceptible to it such as children's clothes, "fashionable clothes" or clothes from certain shops?

Yeah I always sort my washing by colour ie lights, darks, bedding, towels and tea towels separate. I can deal with the visual side of the lint on clothes, my main issue is the big clouds of it flying in the air and landing on everything, I understand I’m never going to eliminate lint completely, I can deal with a certain amount but this is just astronomical. 

I’m going to go through LG and see how much they quote me to look at it. 

• Root Admin
39 minutes ago, Louise1305 said:

I’m going to go through LG and see how much they quote me to look at it. 

Sadly it's likely to be a ridiculous amount, but worth looking into. It's a pity you can't find some expert on textiles & clothes somewhere. It may be worth trying to send an affected item to the manufacturer of the clothing to see what their experts think. The only thing I can imagine that could yet fall on a washing machine to cause excessive shredding as if the wash action was really aggressive on the gentle wash cycles.

I've asked a couple of times now but no one has actually answered, exactly what does it say on the wash labels of these badly affected items?