John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Excessive lint/dust on clothes after washing

Lily

• Root Admin

Hello Louise. I think there's something wrong if you are still getting this much lint from your carpet. A new carpet should not be shedding excess lint after three or four months. I've just done a quick search and found the following article which may be of use. Although it is an American page it should still be relevant for our carpets I would imagine https://allkleencarpets.com/avoid-carpet-shedding-fuzzing/

Apparently this fuzzing is separate to normal lint shedding. If the problem with the laundry is to do with the carpet though I'm still surprised that it is so pervasive as the overwhelming majority of laundry doesn't come into contact with a carpet. I presume you shake the laundry thoroughly before putting them in the washing machine these days?

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Members
1 hour ago, Louise1305 said:

This is the amount of lint I get every single day just from my stairs and landing. And I don’t know if it’s the clothes causing all of this lint but when I shake them loads of fibres come off them. And the dark washing comes out with loads of fibres stuck to the surface. 

95DF55E5-15ED-45AD-8F29-87DABFFEE9AD.jpeg

Same here, it’s like a living nightmare. The lint has transferred to everything, coats, curtains and there’s lint covering all inside my car etc. my problem doesn’t seem to be getting better. Exactly same what’s happening to me. 

• Members
1 hour ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hello Louise. I think there's something wrong if you are still getting this much lint from your carpet. A new carpet should not be shedding excess lint after three or four months. I've just done a quick search and found the following article which may be of use. Although it is an American page it should still be relevant for our carpets I would imagine https://allkleencarpets.com/avoid-carpet-shedding-fuzzing/

Apparently this fuzzing is separate to normal lint shedding. If the problem with the laundry is to do with the carpet though I'm still surprised that it is so pervasive as the overwhelming majority of laundry doesn't come into contact with a carpet. I presume you shake the laundry thoroughly before putting them in the washing machine these days?

Hi Andy, 

It’s honestly awful the amount of fibres around my house but I don’t know whether it is the carpet or the laundry causing the problem. I don’t remember having this issue before the carpet was installed. But it’s been going on for so long I can’t be 100% sure. 

I do shake the clothes before they go in the machine but no matter how much I shake them fibres are constantly being released from the clothes it’s like it’s never ending. 

I am trying to seperate the washing by fabric type now and see if that makes a difference. I’m one step away from vacuuming the clothes before they go in the machine and when they are dry from the machine.🤣

People around me think I’m being dramatic when I say it’s ruining my life but it truly is. I feel like my house is never clean because it’s covered in fibres, I can dust and they’re back half an hour later. I can’t do any decorating that needs doing because I’m worried about the lint getting into the paint or settling onto wet paint. I’m so desperate for an answer and a resolution. I’ve searched the internet and read so many articles but none of them have suggested anything I haven’t already tried. 

• Sad 1

• Root Admin
5 minutes ago, Louise1305 said:

People around me think I’m being dramatic when I say it’s ruining my life but it truly is. I feel like my house is never clean because it’s covered in fibres, I can dust and they’re back half an hour later.

This is such a bizarre thing as the this is such a bizarre hello the the source of the fibres seems to be limitless. If the fibres are the same colour and texture as those coming from your carpet I think you really need to contact the carpet fitter and or the carpet manufacturer. As the article I linked to earlier suggests, there could be a manufacturing fault on the carpet.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Members
8 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

This is such a bizarre thing as the this is such a bizarre hello the the source of the fibres seems to be limitless. If the fibres are the same colour and texture as those coming from your carpet I think you really need to contact the carpet fitter and or the carpet manufacturer. As the article I linked to earlier suggests, there could be a manufacturing fault on the carpet.

Yeah honestly I could shake my clothes and just clouds and cloud of fibres appear. No matter how much I shake them it doesn’t seem to stop. 

Its strange that everyone with this issue has different circumstances aswell, like Emma is saying she doesn’t think it’s her carpet shedding. I’m unsure if the carpet fitters will do anything about it now as it’s over 18 months old, and I’m so reluctant to purchase new carpet because if it doesn’t resolve it I’ve wasted the money effectively. 

The only other thing I could relate it to is that I live in a semi hard water area, but my neighbours do not have this issue, I have a friend who lives over the road and her washing is fine, same with my in laws who live two doors down. 

And the other thing I could put it to is that the washing machine doesn’t have its own separate drainage it is plumbed in to the sink drainage but again my in laws have theirs the same way and they don’t have any issues. 

• Sad 1

• Root Admin
18 minutes ago, Louise1305 said:

Its strange that everyone with this issue has different circumstances as well, like Emma is saying she doesn’t think it’s her carpet shedding. I’m unsure if the carpet fitters will do anything about it now as it’s over 18 months old, and I’m so reluctant to purchase new carpet because if it doesn’t resolve it I’ve wasted the money effectively. 

Yes to be honest it has over complicated things. On the face of it they are the same problem so it's perfectly legitimate for them all to be on the same thread but in hindsight it would have been better for each 1 to have its own thread.

Regarding the carpet fitters yes you are writing they are highly unlikely to be interested because people never are but under the consumer rights act 2015 you have up to 6 years in England (five years in Scotland) to get redress for any faulty product. The problem is that from everything I've learnt over the years of dealing with consumer issues both the carpet fitters, the shop you bought it from and possibly even the manufacturer will all be reluctant to help because it's nothing but hassle for them and it's going to cost them money. So in order to get any redress you would have to have some expert come out and write a report saying that the carpet is defective. Having said that, I believe it is worth contacting the manufacturer of the carpet. They may be more helpful than we expect. It's possible they may even be aware of a faulty batch.

Other than that I'm not sure you have a lot of option. Obviously I have no idea about your financial circumstances, but if this thing is seriously impacting your quality of life then you have to do something about it and that may include taking gambles. As I said several times before, troubleshooting any problem is all about collating all of the possibilities and discounting them one by one by experiment.

So you may have to do just have it ripped up and replaced. If that's not possible I wonder whether it may be possible to cover it up for a week or so in order to see if the problem slowly gets better.  I recently had a new boiler fitted and the gas fitters that came brought with them some carpet covering protectors. They were sticky on one side and stuck to the carpet and on the other side they were like hard felt. I was very impressed with them although he did say they were "expensive" though I have no idea how much. Maybe they were only relatively expensive in that he has to fit them every time he fits a boiler.

At the end of the day it is impossible to solve any problem without eradicating every possible cause until you are left with or uncover the culprit.

25 minutes ago, Louise1305 said:

The only other thing I could relate it to is that I live in a semi hard water area, but my neighbours do not have this issue, I have a friend who lives over the road and her washing is fine, same with my in laws who live two doors down. 

The only way it can be related to the hardness of your water is if your washing machine cannot get rid of all the fibres properly because you are not using enough detergent. I've mentioned that probably four or five times so I would presume you have discounted that already.

27 minutes ago, Louise1305 said:

And the other thing I could put it to is that the washing machine doesn’t have its own separate drainage it is plumbed in to the sink drainage but again my in laws have theirs the same way and they don’t have any issues.

Again this is related to the efficiency of the washing machine. So again I would have thought you would have discounted all washing machine related possibilities which I've listed in great detail by now. 

• Members
6 hours ago, Louise1305 said:

Yeah honestly I could shake my clothes and just clouds and cloud of fibres appear. No matter how much I shake them it doesn’t seem to stop. 

Its strange that everyone with this issue has different circumstances aswell, like Emma is saying she doesn’t think it’s her carpet shedding. I’m unsure if the carpet fitters will do anything about it now as it’s over 18 months old, and I’m so reluctant to purchase new carpet because if it doesn’t resolve it I’ve wasted the money effectively. 

You can shake them for ages and it wouldn’t get rid the dust. 

• Members

I am currently looking into costage of replacing the carpet, I’m currently having my drive done so when that job is finished and no chance of the new carpet being ruined then I will be replacing because I’m that desperate to eliminate anything that it could be. It’s going to be costly as I have three floors but I’m willing to try anything at the moment because I’m living a nightmare. 

I just can’t get my head around why the machine isn’t getting rid of the excess lint, I’ve never had this issue before, I’ve never accidentally washed tissues or anything in the machine, never washed anything fluffy in there. And I use the machine as directed. It’s just so baffling I wish someone had the magic answer. 

• Like 1

• Root Admin
1 hour ago, Louise1305 said:

I am currently looking into costage of replacing the carpet, I’m currently having my drive done so when that job is finished and no chance of the new carpet being ruined then I will be replacing because I’m that desperate to eliminate anything that it could be. It’s going to be costly as I have three floors but I’m willing to try anything at the moment because I’m living a nightmare. 

I just can’t get my head around why the machine isn’t getting rid of the excess lint, I’ve never had this issue before, I’ve never accidentally washed tissues or anything in the machine, never washed anything fluffy in there. And I use the machine as directed. It’s just so baffling I wish someone had the magic answer. 

Hello Louise. I had no idea it was the same carpet on all three floors. I was assuming it was just a lounge carpet for example. However, if it is the same carpet on all three floors it would at least explain why there is so much of it and why it is affecting all of your laundry.

I really would suggest that you contact the manufacturer or the shop and complain because there is at least a chance something may be done, especially if they are aware that there has been an issue from say other complaints. I appreciate the problem is that you cannot categorically say it is caused by the carpets but if you are pulling off the fibres from your laundry and they are the same as the ones on the carpet I would think that is fairly strong evidence.

If you haven't already I would also spend some time researching if other people are having problems with the carpet excessively shedding lint indefinitely and or disintegrating slowly.

At the end of the day it is all about the process of elimination but the logical method is to eliminate all of the simple things first. In your case (if I'm not mixing up with someone else 🙂 ) you seem to have an almost un-limitless supply of these fibres and I cannot see how it would be coming from the washing machine in such quantities and for so long.

By the way I just did a quick search on Google for - faulty carpet expert - in case I could find somebody who might be able to inspect your carpets. I didn't spend long but I found this first result that you may find of great interest. It is someone looking like they have the same problem as you and their carpet manufacturer accepted it was faulty. Check it out https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5625117/faulty-carpet-consumer-rights

• Root Admin
2 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

I cannot see how it would be coming from the washing machine in such quantities and for so long.

However, I can see how the washing machine may be unable to cope with removing them - especially if they are somehow getting electrically charged through friction and static electricity and sticking to the fibres. This is why I spent much of the first part of this topic talking about ensuring you are using the washing machine is 100% correctly as possible in case the problem was exacerbated by the washing machine not being able to remove the fibres because it wasn't being used on the proper programme or with the correct amount of detergent.

• Members

Thank you for being so helpful Andy, I really appreciate it. 

I think I will visit the carpet shop in which I purchased it tomorrow and state my issue. The only problem being is like you say, I can’t definitely prove that they are the carpet fibres. The carpet is only in the hallway, but I have it over the two sets of stairs and the landing. Everywhere else is laminated/tiled. 

Upon my searching the internet I found anti static spray for laundry, do you think that would be worth trying? 

Just to show you the scale of the problem I just ironed my kids fresh bedding in the kitchen and this is what is left on my hob just from moving the covers to iron them. So it’s just a viscous circle, any time fabric moves in this house this is what I get out of it. 

4D211647-4941-47CE-863D-84AC28B7CDB5.jpeg

• Sad 1

• Root Admin

Hi Louise. I've not heard of the antistatic spray but it's worth a try. If the washing machine could get rid of them it would be a massive help I'm sure.

Looking at your photo, if I didn't know anything about this and someone showed me that photo I would say that it looks like the fibres from a carpet. Have you compared the fibres that come out of your vacuum cleaner with the fibres that infect the laundry? Bear in mind that if they have gone through a wash and been subjected to detergent it's possible that they may change slightly but you should be able to tell if they are carpet fibres or not. Try using a proper magnifying glass to have a closer look if necessary.

I think you should definitely get it looked into because if it is a fault on the carpet you should not have to suffer financially as well. Just be calm but firm with them and tell them that you have been investigating this issue and researching it for months. Also do the research on the problem to find other examples and cases, especially like the one I linked to where the manufacturer admitted the carpet was faulty.

Bear in mind that in consumer law the manufacturer is not responsible at all. Only the retailer who sold it. This is why you often get problems with retailers because they are saddled with this responsibility and it is nothing to do with them at all. There's nothing to stop you contacting the manufacturer, who may very well be helpful. If they choose to any manufacturer can replace any faulty product, it's just that they aren't obliged to in law. If you do contact the retailer remember to tell them that under the consumer rights act of 2015 they are responsible and will have to liaise with the manufacturer, and we can make a claim for compensation or replacement if appropriate for up to 6 years after purchase.

Finally if you paid for the carpets by a credit card you may well be covered under section 75 whereby under consumer law they are jointly liable for any faulty products purchased with their cards. So if the retailer and/or manufacturer are unhelpful you can contact your credit card company and tell them you want to make a claim under section 75 for a full refund. The only problem with this, and I found this out first hand when I had a faulty engine, is that all they will do is contact the retailer who will (if they have been obstructive for some reason) just tell them that you don't have a claim. The credit card company will then come back to you and say there's nothing they can do. This is highly infuriating. It caused me a lot of anger and stress.

After several months had elapsed I did come to appreciate that they cannot just give out refunds to people because they claim they are entitled to one. Bear in mind that if they give a refund they will claw it back from the retailer. So it's a serious step and they need evidence. In this case you would need to get an expert to write a report. On that link that I sent you to Google there was a carpet expert who will travel anywhere in the UK to inspect carpets and write reports. It appears to be their main business and he has over 40 years experience. Obviously this is likely to cost a few hundred pounds but it may very well be worth the gamble if you are convinced it is the carpet and it is going to cost thousands to replace them.

• Members

Hi Andy, now that you mention it it does look a lot like carpet fibres, they’re quite long in length and I wouldn’t imagine those coming from the clothes. I will take a photo of the carpet when my son isn’t sleeping on me.🤣 It’s hard to compare them with the ones from the vacuum though as they get pushed into a ball of fluff in the vacuum you can’t see the individual fibres. 

But I have nothing to lose contacting the carpet shop, I have had the carpet a while but I had assumed the shedding would have calmed down over time. It’s on everything, my sofa, curtains, everywhere. I paid for the carpet with my debit card so I don’t think I have the same protection as a credit card. But I will see what they say. 

• Root Admin

Hi Louise. Let me know how you get on. No there’s no protection on debit cards. Try to get fibres off the carpet with a small brush. 

• Members

I’ve tried using the dustpan and brush on the carpet before and it just sends it flying everywhere. It’s an absolute nightmare. 

• Root Admin

I’m thinking of something like a stiff hair brush. Something with plastic or strong teeth. 

• Root Admin

Also have you checked that none of your immediate neighbours have the problem? 

• Like 1

• Members

I will give that a go, I have a few brushes I could try. I’ve also used a rubber reusable lint roller on it previously and it picked up so much lint. 

My in laws live two doors down and they do not have this issue, they had a different style carpet from a different shop more recently than mine and they do not have excess lint. My mother in law thinks I’m going crazy, no one believes me how bad it is. 

• Like 2

• Members
5 hours ago, Louise1305 said:

Thank you for being so helpful Andy, I really appreciate it. 

I think I will visit the carpet shop in which I purchased it tomorrow and state my issue. The only problem being is like you say, I can’t definitely prove that they are the carpet fibres. The carpet is only in the hallway, but I have it over the two sets of stairs and the landing. Everywhere else is laminated/tiled. 

Upon my searching the internet I found anti static spray for laundry, do you think that would be worth trying? 

Just to show you the scale of the problem I just ironed my kids fresh bedding in the kitchen and this is what is left on my hob just from moving the covers to iron them. So it’s just a viscous circle, any time fabric moves in this house this is what I get out of it. 

4D211647-4941-47CE-863D-84AC28B7CDB5.jpeg

You’ll have let me know how you get on with spray, is  this what happens when I iron or even move, thank you

• Members
18 minutes ago, Emma Roberts said:

You’ll have let me know how you get on with spray, is  this what happens when I iron or even move, thank you

I will do Emma, I’ve seen some on Amazon, I’m gonna see if I can find any in home bargains tomorrow first before I pay Amazon prices but I’m willing to try anything. 

It’s the same in my house and it’s just an excessive amount of lint, I’m driving myself crazy trying to clean it up every day. I’m wasting my life dusting up lint and I can’t cope anymore.😩😩

• Thanks 1

• Members
On 19/01/2022 at 18:02, Louise1305 said:

I will do Emma, I’ve seen some on Amazon, I’m gonna see if I can find any in home bargains tomorrow first before I pay Amazon prices but I’m willing to try anything. 

It’s the same in my house and it’s just an excessive amount of lint, I’m driving myself crazy trying to clean it up every day. I’m wasting my life dusting up lint and I can’t cope anymore.😩😩

How’s everything going, still the same? 

• Members
4 hours ago, Emma Roberts said:

How’s everything going, still the same? 

Hiya, still the same unfortunately. I had a neighbour wash some of my children’s bedding and it was exactly the same. I feel like once it’s cling to your washing is there really any way to get rid of it?😔

• Root Admin

Have you tried any lint remover tools?

• Members
16 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Have you tried any lint remover tools?

Yes I tried the balls but no luck. 

• Root Admin
24 minutes ago, Emma Roberts said:

Yes I tried the balls but no luck

Hi Emma. What balls were they? I was thinking of the sticky roller type.