Jump to content
John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

 

Excessive lint/dust on clothes after washing


Lily

Recommended Posts

  • Members
2 hours ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Liquid detergent is rubbish. It’s a pointless invention. It doesn’t contain bleaching agents so especially if you combine it with mostly low temperature washes it ruins washing machines by allowing a horrible build of of grease and gunge inside the washing machine. 
 

Again this is covered in the links in my last long reply that I mentioned so please read it all and all the articles linked in it. 
 

Heres another which is best type of washing machine detergent

My wife uses Surf powdered detergent which is good but any of the famous brands of proper powdered detergent should be good. Find out how hard your water is - or if you already know it’s hard just use the amount that the package advises to use. It’s usually a lot more than people use if they just use their judgment. 

I used liquid for a while on our washer Andy because the powder just got clogged in the soap drawer into one big lump instead of nicely dissolving I am thinking either because its cold water only machine so the cold water is not dissolving it , or because not enough water pressure from the jets above the soap drawer is not powerful enough to push down the powder ( the water coming into the machine is fed from the header tank in the loft rather than mains fed water) - so have you any tips on how to carry on using powder but getting it to dissolve better with the incoming cold water? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin
12 hours ago, andyr12345 said:

I used liquid for a while on our washer Andy because the powder just got clogged in the soap drawer into one big lump instead of nicely dissolving

Yes Andy that's the only advantage of it but it comes at a price. You used to be able to place the detergent in a container on top of the laundry but they seem to have fallen out of fashion. Don't know if detergent manufacturers still make them or not.

If the water pressure is so low as to not flush detergent down properly there's not much alternative other than always helping it down with a jug of water.

  • Like 1

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
57 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Yes Andy that's the only advantage of it but it comes at a price. You used to be able to place the detergent in a container on top of the laundry but they seem to have fallen out of fashion. Don't know if detergent manufacturers still make them or not.

If the water pressure is so low as to not flush detergent down properly there's not much alternative other than always helping it down with a jug of water.


Yep thats right - dosing ball they used to call it I think. - ah right so you cannot get them now , thats a shame . 

So, these capsules you get with the dissolvable wrappers can they cause damage as well over the time ? the actual dissolvable wrapping on the capsule?  - can they over time get caught up in the pimp and hoses and cause problems do they build up over time ? or do they just dissolve fully and just pump out down the drain do you know?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin

Hi Andy. Some of the dosing balls made quite a racket as they clanked about the drum. 
 

I would think the skins completely dissolve. The problem is they still contain liquid detergent and for some reason I’ve seen several sources where they say it’s not possible to put bleaching agents in liquid detergent. That’s what causes a build up of bacteria and gunge especially when combined with exclusively using low temperature washes. 
 

 

  • Like 1

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
On 27/12/2021 at 20:33, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

It has to be something like that Emma. If it’s the same in three different washing machines. This is covered in one of the links in my previous reply that I mentioned. You need to make sure you use the right amount of detergent (not liquid) for the hardness of your water. 
 

Most people think the amount specified is too much but it isn’t. If you don’t use enough then you get things re deposited on laundry. Also don’t use quick washes or low temperature washes unless the fabric demands it. 
 

If it doesn’t fix the problem you’ll at least have eliminated one of the possibilities. 

Nothing has worked, I don’t know what to do! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin
10 hours ago, Emma Roberts said:

Nothing has worked, I don’t know what to do! 

Hi Emma. In your case it can't be your washing machine because it happened on two different ones (one brand new) and one at the laundrette. So it has to be something not related to washing machines or something about the way you use the washing machine. Both seem unlikely to be honest but it's impossible for it to be anything other than the washing machine, the way it's used, or something else and if it can't be the washing machine it has to be one of the other two causes.

The only thing I can suggest is to not use liquid detergent, don't use quick wash cycles (which are rubbish and don't wash properly) and do maintenance hot washes as described in one of my previous links. Also don't overload the washing machine but I just mean don't fill it to the top, you don't need to hardly put anything in. 

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
23 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hi Emma. In your case it can't be your washing machine because it happened on two different ones (one brand new) and one at the laundrette. So it has to be something not related to washing machines or something about the way you use the washing machine. Both seem unlikely to be honest but it's impossible for it to be anything other than the washing machine, the way it's used, or something else and if it can't be the washing machine it has to be one of the other two causes.

The only thing I can suggest is to not use liquid detergent, don't use quick wash cycles (which are rubbish and don't wash properly) and do maintenance hot washes as described in one of my previous links. Also don't overload the washing machine but I just mean don't fill it to the top, you don't need to hardly put anything in. 

Thank you - very much appreciated. I’ll go through them and read them. I’ll get back to you

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin

Hi Emma. Just concentrate on all the articles about wash results, wash cycles and keeping washing machine clean. It can't be a fault on the washing machine if it also happened with a brand new one.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
On 31/12/2021 at 13:08, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hi Emma. Just concentrate on all the articles about wash results, wash cycles and keeping washing machine clean. It can't be a fault on the washing machine if it also happened with a brand new one.

Don’t know you if you got any articles on what clothes to wash together? I know like the 100% cotton on a cotton wash but what if the clothing is 98% cotton, 2%

 

On 31/12/2021 at 13:08, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hi Emma. Just concentrate on all the articles about wash results, wash cycles and keeping washing machine clean. It can't be a fault on the washing machine if it also happened with a brand new one.

Do you have a article on what clothes to wash together? 100% cotton on a cotton wash, but what if the item is 95% cotton,  5% Lycra elastane?  What are socks too? Thank you 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin
35 minutes ago, Emma Roberts said:

Don’t know you if you got any articles on what clothes to wash together? I know like the 100% cotton on a cotton wash but what if the clothing is 98% cotton, 2%

I wouldn't associate washing wrong items together with your issue. But basically the wash labels will say what wash cycles are safe. Avoid quick wash cycles and 30 degree cycles unless items of laundry say only wash at 30 degrees. Unfortunately a lot of modern laundry does.

40 degree cottons and 60 degree cottons are great - as long as the items have those temperatures on their wash labels. Also do the maintenance wash mentioned with no laundry inside at least once a month, and make sure you put good quality powder detergent in and the correct amount as described on the detergent package for the level of water hardness at your house. And of course make sure you put the detergent in the correct side of the drawer. That's all you can do really.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
On 02/01/2022 at 15:17, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

I wouldn't associate washing wrong items together with your issue. But basically the wash labels will say what wash cycles are safe. Avoid quick wash cycles and 30 degree cycles unless items of laundry say only wash at 30 degrees. Unfortunately a lot of modern laundry does.

40 degree cottons and 60 degree cottons are great - as long as the items have those temperatures on their wash labels. Also do the maintenance wash mentioned with no laundry inside at least once a month, and make sure you put good quality powder detergent in and the correct amount as described on the detergent package for the level of water hardness at your house. And of course make sure you put the detergent in the correct side of the drawer. That's all you can do really.

Would it take a few washes to rid of the dust/lint? The lint has transferred to everything in house, kids toys and teddies, curtains, coats, sofas,  everything

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin

I wouldn't be surprised if it took several washes to see good results.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Thank you for all of your advice Andy. 
I am clutching at straws at the moment trying to find a solution. It’s a living nightmare, the lint dust in my house is awful. 
 

So far a list of things I’ve tried that haven’t worked; switching to liquid detergent, I have now gone back to powder, cutting out softener as I thought that was causing the excess lint, gentle cycles, running the clothes through the dryer, white vinegar. 

We’ve even opened the machine and scooped out lint from the inside, the filter is emptied almost daily, I run tub clean cycles all the time. It’s really baffling me as to what could be causing it. 
 

I will try your suggestions of washing at 40 and a longer cycle and see if that helps at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
7 hours ago, Louise1305 said:

Thank you for all of your advice Andy. 
I am clutching at straws at the moment trying to find a solution. It’s a living nightmare, the lint dust in my house is awful. 
 

So far a list of things I’ve tried that haven’t worked; switching to liquid detergent, I have now gone back to powder, cutting out softener as I thought that was causing the excess lint, gentle cycles, running the clothes through the dryer, white vinegar. 

We’ve even opened the machine and scooped out lint from the inside, the filter is emptied almost daily, I run tub clean cycles all the time. It’s really baffling me as to what could be causing it. 
 

I will try your suggestions of washing at 40 and a longer cycle and see if that helps at all. 

I have the same problem and yes I fully agree that’s it a living nightmare. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
13 hours ago, Emma Roberts said:

I have the same problem and yes I fully agree that’s it a living nightmare. 

I can sympathise honestly, it is ruining my life. It’s making me so anxious and agitated. I’m worried about the lint dust around my children and I have exhausted all options on how to resolve it. Do you have the same when you shake the clothes clouds off lint come off them? Like it’s hiding inside the fabric?

 

I did a wash yesterday the longest cotton setting on 40 degrees, it took several hours and the black items we still covered in white lint afterwards. I’m going to see how they dry and see if they produce the lint cloud. But I can’t think of anything else I could try. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin
1 hour ago, Louise1305 said:

 

I did a wash yesterday the longest cotton setting on 40 degrees, it took several hours

40 degree wash should only take between one and half to two hours. Have you had an engineer to check the machine is functioning properly?

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
12 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

40 degree wash should only take between one and half to two hours. Have you had an engineer to check the machine is functioning properly?

Hi Andy, it’s an LG washer and I think it weighs the washing inside and then sets the time for the wash. Ever since I have had this machine the cotton setting has always taken at least 3 hours, so I have always used it on the mix setting which cuts this time in half. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin
29 minutes ago, Louise1305 said:

the cotton setting has always taken at least 3 hours, so I have always used it on the mix setting which cuts this time in half. 

Essentially they have designed the washing machine to wash and rinse cottons, and the programme needs 3 hours or so to do it. By selecting options to cut the time in half it compromises the wash effectiveness by using less water, not agitating as much, or cutting out some rinses etc.

If troubleshooting a problem where the laundry doesn't seem to be washing or rinsing properly it's advisable to use the washing machine exactly as designed and use the correct amount of detergent etc. If the fault persists you have at least eliminated some of the possible causes.  

 

 

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
4 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Essentially they have designed the washing machine to wash and rinse cottons, and the programme needs 3 hours or so to do it. By selecting options to cut the time in half it compromises the wash effectiveness by using less water, not agitating as much, or cutting out some rinses etc.

If troubleshooting a problem where the laundry doesn't seem to be washing or rinsing properly it's advisable to use the washing machine exactly as designed and use the correct amount of detergent etc. If the fault persists you have at least eliminated some of the possible causes.  

 

 

Would you suggest I continue using that setting then to see if that makes a difference? I’m at just frustrating that it takes that long but if it can solve the issue then I will do that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin

Yes Louise. You need to use the correct wash cycle with no time-cutting options selected and the full amount of detergent advised on the detergent packaging and make sure you don't ram the drum too full. Only then can you know you are using it 100% correctly so that if the fault persists you can look to other causes.

Fault finding is all about eliminating possible causes one by one until a cause is found. Is it a washer-dryer btw?

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Is it a washer-dryer btw?

It is a washer dryer, and I had never had this issue before I purchased the combined unit. 
 

I will give it a go then of using just the cotton setting and hopefully that helps. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin
19 minutes ago, Louise1305 said:

It is a washer dryer, and I had never had this issue before I purchased the combined unit

Hi Louise. It's getting a bit confusing as there are I think 3 different people on this thread with the same problem but different circumstances. I've mentioned washer-dryers a few times. Washer dryers can get trapped lint in the dryer section that can fall into the drum. It seems like it is a design flaw in a way. 

Do you use the dryer section much? I'm thinking if you only use it infrequently then the trapped lint and fluff that is normally damp and sticks inside could dry out and potentially cause this issue.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 minute ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hi Louise. It's getting a bit confusing as there are I think 3 different people on this thread with the same problem but different circumstances. I've mentioned washer-dryers a few times. Washer dryers can get trapped lint in the dryer section that can fall into the drum. It seems like it is a design flaw in a way. 

Do you use the dryer section much? I'm thinking if you only use it infrequently then the trapped lint and fluff that is normally damp and sticks inside could dry out and potentially cause this issue.

Sorry yes I think there’s a few of us with the same issue but different machines. 
 

I rarely use the dryer to be honest, I try not to use it and I air dry my clothes. But I had read somewhere that the tumble dryer is supposed to get rid of excess lint so I tried that and it didn’t, they were still just as bad out of the tumble dryer. 
 

I ran a tub clean last night so I’m hoping that has refreshed my machine and I am going to try everything else without using the dryer to avoid lint being stuck outside the drum. I have just put another smaller load on the cotton setting and it’s come out to an hour and half so I will see how this goes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin
9 minutes ago, Louise1305 said:

I rarely use the dryer to be honest

This could be the main cause. Although if you have hardly used it I wouldn’t expect too much lint to be there. But there could be. Lint can build up inside the dryer fan chamber, inside the heating element chamber and in the condenser. 
 

I would try putting the dryer on a couple of drying cycles. You don’t need to put any laundry in if you don’t want to. My idea is that by using the dryer a couple of times it should cause most of any stuck lint to become wet and stick in place. 

Then use the wash and see if it’s improved. The other advice about not using enough detergent and not using full wash cycles still stands though as that’s related to washing laundry properly and keeping washing machine clean inside. 

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
51 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:The other advice about not using enough detergent and not using full wash cycles still stands though as that’s related to washing laundry properly and keeping washing machine clean inside. 

Thank you, I will give that a go aswell then. My partner opened the top panel a few months ago and we found lint in a part of the machine, a big white plastic thing? I’m not sure what it is but we fished lint out of there but the problem still persisted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Appliance Repairs

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Book Repair Now

Buy Your Spare Parts

Ransom Spares is a family company with over 1 million white goods appliance spare parts for sale. Next day delivery available, friendly company with over 5000 reviews on Trust Pilot

Price match promise: "If you find the exact same part or accessory elsewhere for cheaper, we’ll not only match it, we’ll beat it!" -

Buy your appliance spare part




  • Popular Contributors

    1. 1
      Whitegoodshelp (Andy)
      Whitegoodshelp (Andy)
      4
    2. 2
      constantG
      constantG
      1
  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      3.1k
    • Total Posts
      13.3k
×
×
  • Create New...