John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Excessive lint/dust on clothes after washing

• Root Admin

Thanks Emma. To be honest that looks a bit useless. I was thinking of a proper one with sticky roller like this

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/baestis-lint-roller-grey-90425626/

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy appliance spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Root Admin

It's definitely worth a try, Emma. Those rollers are very sticky so they should remove any loose lint even if it's clinging on. Please let me know how you get on.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

On 26/01/2022 at 12:32, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hi Emma. What balls were they? I was thinking of the sticky roller type.

Thank you. I put a fluffy jumper in with similar colour and read the label, and it’s covered the other clothes in pink long fabrics from the jumper. This was the first I put in the wash - should of I washed it on it’s own? 

• Root Admin

Hello Emma. The label on the item should tell you if you have special instructions. A lot of modern clothes say hand wash only or dry clean only but most people never notice. A lot of things say to wash inside out too. Exactly what is on the label?

• Root Admin
20 hours ago, Louise1305 said:

Taken the plunge today and opened up the machine to deep clean it and this is the white thing I was talking about that had a lot of lint in it previously. We only opened it up and cleaned it a few months ago and it’s full of lint again already. 

Hello Louise, I need to re-ask a few questions because we have different people with the same problem but different circumstances on this thread. How often do you use the washer dryer? The lint that gets inside the condenser chamber, which is this big plastic part, is lint that is likely to have come from the drying cycle.

1 hour ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hello Louise, I need to re-ask a few questions because we have different people with the same problem but different circumstances on this thread. How often do you use the washer dryer? The lint that gets inside the condenser chamber, which is this big plastic part, is lint that is likely to have come from the drying cycle.

I use it quite rarely to be honest. I see it several times to see if it got the lint off the clothes but it didn’t seem to. I’m going to just use the machine as a washer not use the dryer now and see how that goes. 

• Root Admin

Hello Louise. I suspect there may be a fundamental flaw in the design of washer dryers. It seems many of them suffer with a big build up of lint that clogs the dryer fan, the heating chamber and the condenser chamber. I just can't work out whether or not this happens when the dryer is being used regularly, or when a dryer is not used regularly and the lint maybe dries out and moves around. At the end of the day all lint that is removed from laundry during the drying cycle is supposed to get washed into the outer drum underneath the main drum and then get pumped away. 

9 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hello Louise. I suspect there may be a fundamental flaw in the design of washer dryers. It seems many of them suffer with a big build up of lint that clogs the dryer fan, the heating chamber and the condenser chamber. I just can't work out whether or not this happens when the dryer is being used regularly, or when a dryer is not used regularly and the lint maybe dries out and moves around. At the end of the day all lint that is removed from laundry during the drying cycle is supposed to get washed into the outer drum underneath the main drum and then get pumped away. 

Hi Andy,

that’s what I’m assuming, I thought the lint would be washed/drained away. I think I’m going to purchase a seperate dryer and continue using the machine as just a washing machine and see how that goes. I’ll open the machine and inspect the same parts again next month. 

I’m still waiting to hear back from the carpet shop also. 

• Root Admin

Hello Louise. If you've managed to clear the lint and do not use the dryer any more then hopefully the problem should stop. Please let us know if it does. If by any chance it does not stop then this would strongly imply that this lint is somehow getting up into the dryer's parts, though I struggle to imagine how that would be possible so it probably won't happen.

7 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hello Louise. If you've managed to clear the lint and do not use the dryer any more then hopefully the problem should stop. Please let us know if it does. If by any chance it does not stop then this would strongly imply that this lint is somehow getting up into the dryer's parts, though I struggle to imagine how that would be possible so it probably won't happen.

Yeah that’s what I’m hoping for, I’m going to order a separate tumble dryer and see if that will help loosen some of the lint into a filter that I can actually collect it from rather than it just moving around in the machine. Fingers crossed!

On 29/01/2022 at 11:15, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hello Emma. The label on the item should tell you if you have special instructions. A lot of modern clothes say hand wash only or dry clean only but most people never notice. A lot of things say to wash inside out too. Exactly what is on the label?

Yes exactly on the label. Really hard to explain so all the other clothes had visible pink fabrics. It was like it shredded the jumper. So I don’t over load the washing machine so I put about three towels in but they come out stiff and stuck to the inside the washing machine - what am I doing wrong there? The lint is really ruining my life  

• Root Admin
3 minutes ago, Louise1305 said:

I was hoping to buy a dryer and see if that will help but I don’t want to waste money if it’s not going to work.

Hi Louise. I thought you were going to buy a dryer because you were going to stop using the dryer on the washer-dryer, and therefore would need a separate dryer. I didn't realise you were thinking of buying a dryer to see if the dryer would remove the lint. 

I wouldn't expect a tumble dryer to remove the lint if either hanging the washing out on a line to blowdry doesn't get rid of it, no using a lint remover.

28 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hi Louise. I thought you were going to buy a dryer because you were going to stop using the dryer on the washer-dryer, and therefore would need a separate dryer. I didn't realise you were thinking of buying a dryer to see if the dryer would remove the lint. 

I wouldn't expect a tumble dryer to remove the lint if either hanging the washing out on a line to blowdry doesn't get rid of it, no using a lint remover.

I was hoping it would aerate the clothes enough and gather the excess lint in the lint trap. The lint seems to be within the clothes though and not just on the surface. I’m not really bothered about the visible lint on the surface of the clothes because I can reduce that with a lint roller I’m fed up of the lint being produced by the clothes when they move because it’s coating everything in my house. 

But I am refraining from using the dryer on my machine at all. 

• Root Admin

Hello Louise. Yes you need to find where the lint is coming from in order to solve your problem.

11 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hello Louise. Yes you need to find where the lint is coming from in order to solve your problem.

Hi Andy, I feel like I’ve just exhausted all of my options so I’m just willing to try anything. It’s severely affecting my quality of life and I just wish I had an answer. I need a miracle.😢

• Root Admin

Hello Louise. I've thought a lot about this issue and as far as I can see have mentioned every possible cause and solution that my brain can supply. The only thing I can suggest is to very carefully read over every single one of the posts and make sure you have tried everything that has been suggested. It may well be that there are some things that have been suggested that you didn't try because maybe it was awkward or you didn't think it would make any difference?

Things like covering up the carpet for example?