John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Excessive lint/dust on clothes after washing

2 hours ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

I've asked a couple of times now but no one has actually answered, exactly what does it say on the wash labels of these badly affected items?

I will check labels in the morning and get back to you, however it seems as this point that literally everything I own is affected. 

• Root Admin

The symbols on wash labels can be difficult to understand as they aren’t all easy to work out. There are still some I need to research properly but I have an old article her that may be useful what do the wash label symbols mean?

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy appliance spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Root Admin

I have clothes that say to wash inside out, do not spin, don’t use fabric softener and other weird and ridiculous instructions. 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Root Admin

Funnily enough I've just seen an automatically generated advert between posts on this topic advertising an air purifier. It shows a picture of a hand with an extended finger displaying a lot of lint and fluff as described in this topic. It made me wonder has anybody tried an air purifier? They suck in air constantly and filter out airborne particles.

18 hours ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Funnily enough I've just seen an automatically generated advert between posts on this topic advertising an air purifier. It shows a picture of a hand with an extended finger displaying a lot of lint and fluff as described in this topic. It made me wonder has anybody tried an air purifier? They suck in air constantly and filter out airborne particles.

I have two air purifiers in my house, one in the living room and one in my bedroom as I find they are the worst affected rooms, they do collect a lot of lint I’m constantly vacuuming the outside of it as it’s covered in lint. 

• Root Admin

Hi Emma. The problem is if the washer is already contaminated it will likely cover anything put inside. Does the washing machine wash gently, back and forth slowly with lots of pauses? It’s surely not possible for bobbling to occur after just one wash if following exact wash instructions. If so something must be seriously wrong but I cannot imagine what. 

I feel like I’m going round in circles, I’ve been running things through the dryer on only air to collect the excess lint which I thought was working, it’s not getting rid of all of it but it’s reducing it. I took a dark load out of the dryer and shook them and didn’t see much come off it. When I then rewash that stuff it comes out dusty again. It’s got to be the machine.😭😭 it all comes out covered in white fibres again, even if I run a tub clean before I put that wash in. 

• Root Admin

Hi Louise. Did you wash them with only other dark items or were there light items in too?

• Root Admin
1 hour ago, Louise1305 said:

Hi Andy, I always just wash darks separately, so I really can’t understand where the white fibres are coming from. 

It’s crazy isn’t it. Have you cleaned the pump filter?

• Root Admin
15 hours ago, Louise1305 said:

Is that the screw thing at the front?

Usually at front right of the bottom of the machine where is the washing machine pump filter?

6 hours ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Usually at front right of the bottom of the machine where is the washing machine pump filter?

Hi Andy, yes that’s the thing I meant.🙈 I open it up pretty much after every wash and it hardly ever has anything in it. No lint. No bits from the wash. With the amount of lint on my clothes I expected it to be full of fibres but honestly it’s usually clean. Because I ready somewhere that lint on clothes can be due to the pump filter being blocked therefore draining the water too slow but the filter is always clear. But there’s always stuff left on my clothes, even my own hair I find in the tumble dryer filter which shows that the washing machine isn’t cleaning this stuff off. 

• Root Admin

Hmmm. If washing machine is not washing properly at all, and it’s definitely being used right, there must be a fault, or it’s a rubbish washing machine. 

9 hours ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hmmm. If washing machine is not washing properly at all, and it’s definitely being used right, there must be a fault, or it’s a rubbish washing machine. 

That’s what I’m thinking there’s got to be a fault on it somewhere. I even found a tiny piece of Lego and a small hair elastic in my dryer filter surely these kinds of things should be in the washing machine pump filter if the machine was cleaning the clothes properly? It’s a high rated machine all the reviews are amazing, but I’ve had nothing but problems. 

• Root Admin

Does it appear to wash ok? Does it fill with water, take in the detergent within a minute or so, and then agitate back and forth with pauses inbetween for at least 40 mins or so before pumping out and doing the rinses?

On 04/04/2022 at 05:19, Louise1305 said:

That’s what I’m thinking there’s got to be a fault on it somewhere. I even found a tiny piece of Lego and a small hair elastic in my dryer filter surely these kinds of things should be in the washing machine pump filter if the machine was cleaning the clothes properly? It’s a high rated machine all the reviews are amazing, but I’ve had nothing but problems. 

Any better? 

On 04/04/2022 at 15:26, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Does it appear to wash ok? Does it fill with water, take in the detergent within a minute or so, and then agitate back and forth with pauses inbetween for at least 40 mins or so before pumping out and doing the rinses?

Yeah it looks like it works just fine, but I wiped my hand over the inside of the door after a load and it had loads of lint on it. I don’t know what’s causing it but it’s so stressful. 

On 09/04/2022 at 08:59, Emma Roberts said:

Any better? 

Still not a tiny bit better. I’m at breaking point I can’t cope anymore. 

On 10/04/2022 at 15:21, Louise1305 said:

Yeah it looks like it works just fine, but I wiped my hand over the inside of the door after a load and it had loads of lint on it. I don’t know what’s causing it but it’s so stressful. 

Still not a tiny bit better. I’m at breaking point I can’t cope anymore. 

Same here, I found new clothes are ten times worse with the lint when washed for the first time - do you find that as well? 

On 12/04/2022 at 20:13, Emma Roberts said:

Same here, I found new clothes are ten times worse with the lint when washed for the first time - do you find that as well? 

I don’t know if the new clothes are worse but I know this definitely isn’t normal. A friend of mine gave me a school cardigan for my daughter that her daughter had outgrown and I shook it like crazy in front of a light bulb and hardly anything came off it, a few fibres maybe. I do that with my clothes and there’s just clouds and clouds of it. I can’t cope anymore. 

• Root Admin

Hi Louise. It’s difficult to tell. Are all the clothes sopping wet through?

Modern washing machines use as little water as possible. Using less water means they can get better results on the wash labels. They use tricks like recirculating pumps and the plastic lifters to scoop and sprinkle water over the laundry. 

If everything is working ok the effect is like the difference between having a bath and a shower. We soak in a bath and use far more water but a shower is just as effective and much cheaper. 

So when the drum is revolving there should be water sprinkling on top of the laundry to keep it wet. 

During rinses there would need to be a fair bit more water in though.

It’s possible that if the washing machine has a recirculating pump and it’s not running, or is blocked, then that would adversely affect the quality of the wash.

On 31/03/2022 at 11:49, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hi Emma. The problem is if the washer is already contaminated it will likely cover anything put inside. Does the washing machine wash gently, back and forth slowly with lots of pauses? It’s surely not possible for bobbling to occur after just one wash if following exact wash instructions. If so something must be seriously wrong but I cannot imagine what. 

It sounds like it’s struggling and it only has one towel in 

• Root Admin

Hi Emma. Thanks, but testing with one towel isn’t a real world test as you should never wash just one towel. The motor will not turn smoothly with just one towel.

I was asking about the wash action on the wash cycle when it’s heating up the water.