John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Excessive lint/dust on clothes after washing

1 minute ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hello Louise. I've thought a lot about this issue and as far as I can see have mentioned every possible cause and solution that my brain can supply. The only thing I can suggest is to very carefully read over every single one of the posts and make sure you have tried everything that has been suggested. It may well be that there are some things that have been suggested that you didn't try because maybe it was awkward or you didn't think it would make any difference?

Things like covering up the carpet for example?

Hi Andy, I’m just waiting to replace the carpet completely to be honest. I emailed the company and they gave me a call back, they’re going to look into it and get in touch. In the meantime I will talk to my OH about temporarily covering the carpet.

It’s just honestly baffling I don’t understand why it’s such a prevalent issue but it’s honestly a living nightmare. I just wish it would go away. The surface lint doesn’t bother me, it’s the fact it’s being thrown into the air and settling on everything I own. 

I even posted to a few cleaning pages on Facebook asking for advice and a lady from Canada has got in touch because she has the same issue. 

5 hours ago, Louise1305 said:

Hi Andy, I’m just waiting to replace the carpet completely to be honest. I emailed the company and they gave me a call back, they’re going to look into it and get in touch. In the meantime I will talk to my OH about temporarily covering the carpet.

It’s just honestly baffling I don’t understand why it’s such a prevalent issue but it’s honestly a living nightmare. I just wish it would go away. The surface lint doesn’t bother me, it’s the fact it’s being thrown into the air and settling on everything I own. 

I even posted to a few cleaning pages on Facebook asking for advice and a lady from Canada has got in touch because she has the same issue. 

I feel exactly the same. 

• Root Admin
20 minutes ago, Louise1305 said:

After all that cleaning out the machine the washing is still coming out the same.😢😢

Hi Louise. Thanks for your update. After seeing your photos I was going to say that the lint inside the plastic condenser shouldn’t be able to get into the washing machine drum. The only way lint can get to the laundry from the dryer section is down the vent at the top of the door seal. 

That’s where the hot air is pumped into the drum. Early on in this topic the lint from the dryer was talked about as a possible cause but it can’t explain the constant and pervasive covering that has been talked about recently.

The constant contamination of hundreds of fibres with a limitless supply couldn’t possibly be caused by lint from the dryer section. It has to be on the laundry before going into the washing machine. 

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy appliance spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

On 03/02/2022 at 10:01, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hi Louise. Thanks for your update. After seeing your photos I was going to say that the lint inside the plastic condenser shouldn’t be able to get into the washing machine drum. The only way lint can get to the laundry from the dryer section is down the vent at the top of the door seal. 

That’s where the hot air is pumped into the drum. Early on in this topic the lint from the dryer was talked about as a possible cause but it can’t explain the constant and pervasive covering that has been talked about recently.

The constant contamination of hundreds of fibres with a limitless supply couldn’t possibly be caused by lint from the dryer section. It has to be on the laundry before going into the washing machine. 

Louise - do you find washing new clothes generates more lint on the clothes than normal? 

• Root Admin
31 minutes ago, Louise1305 said:

I’ve even bought a roll to cover the carpet and it’s made no different because I don’t know how to get it off the clothes in the first place

If the carpet is the source then that should at least prevent further contamination? Have you tried the sticky roller I suggested? If that doesn't remove it from the laundry then I would say that the nature of your contamination is that once the stuff is all over the clothes they are possibly ruined. 

On that note, I wonder if some household insurance would cover that and pay for replacements?

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Root Admin
1 minute ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

If the carpet is the source then that should at least prevent further contamination

Although it could be that they would pick fibres up from the other laundry in the washer.

• Root Admin

Hello Louise. Adding aspirin does sound very bizarre it sounds almost like an old April fool's joke. It's hard to imagine how that could help but as I can't also imagine how it could possibly cause any harm it is definitely worth a try. Please let us know how you get on.

Also let us know if you find out if they found proof of what was causing it.

12 hours ago, Louise1305 said:

I’ve just saw this on one of the Facebook cleaning pages I’m on, this woman’s clothes look a lot like mine do out of the wash and two people have both recommended using aspirin in the wash? I reckon it’s worth a shot?

6048FFA8-DE2A-434A-B71C-C2FEFC6B26A5.png

4BF4F10F-54C6-4327-838E-2203B807E1D8.png

Definitely let us know the outcome please or what’s causing it be very much appreciated 

• Root Admin

Thanks for the update Louise. So unfortunately although very similar in looks like a totally different cause. If you do try the aspirin thing, which still sounds a little crazy 🙂, just make sure you try it on less-expensive laundry although if the laundry is caked in it then it may be down to kill or cure anyway. Has anyone tried a proper lint remover roller yet?

5 hours ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Thanks for the update Louise. So unfortunately although very similar in looks like a totally different cause. If you do try the aspirin thing, which still sounds a little crazy 🙂, just make sure you try it on less-expensive laundry although if the laundry is caked in it then it may be down to kill or cure anyway. Has anyone tried a proper lint remover roller yet?

Yeah I’ll just chuck in a small load of old clothes. I’m going to get some aspirin tomorrow and try it. 
I have lint rollers galore, the traditional tape sort of one and the reusable ones that you can rinse but unless I do it on absolutely every piece of clothing it just transfers everywhere anyway ie on the sofa, bedding.😩

On 16/02/2022 at 13:37, Louise1305 said:

Yeah I’ll just chuck in a small load of old clothes. I’m going to get some aspirin tomorrow and try it. 
I have lint rollers galore, the traditional tape sort of one and the reusable ones that you can rinse but unless I do it on absolutely every piece of clothing it just transfers everywhere anyway ie on the sofa, bedding.😩

How did you get on? I know it’s hard to know it’s on everything. 

7 hours ago, Emma Roberts said:

How did you get on? I know it’s hard to know it’s on everything. 

Yeah it’s hard to tell because like you say it is literally on everything. I’ve been washing with aspirin since yesterday, and my work skirt seemed like it had less lint on it when it came out of the machine but I don’t know if it’s just me getting my hopes up. I’m gonna see how this stuff dries today and just keep using it just in case, for 10p a wash it’s worth giving it a chance to do something. 

2 hours ago, Louise1305 said:

Yeah it’s hard to tell because like you say it is literally on everything. I’ve been washing with aspirin since yesterday, and my work skirt seemed like it had less lint on it when it came out of the machine but I don’t know if it’s just me getting my hopes up. I’m gonna see how this stuff dries today and just keep using it just in case, for 10p a wash it’s worth giving it a chance to do something. 

Do you just add it to the wash? 

SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM, well, at least for me.... and it has worked...

Dunno if I am commenting on the right bit as on my phone, but I hope this helps people who suffered from what I had suffered.. and also... I will try explain the best I can as I'm usually not very good at that lol 

So, I had all these problems to begin with and was racking my brain what on earth am I doing wrong etc etc.. 

I've have now came to a conclusion  that i am more than happy with. 80% happy with.. which is a far cry from where I was!

Combination of a lot of factors of what I did, trying out different situations 

From going through 3 washing machines and countless detergents and softeners etc...

1st of all.. as you get older "apparently " things like that bother you as its something to do with your immune system.. I would scratch etc, see them white thing float around and believing it to be some sort of dust, of fiber. Which it is.. 

I got medication for allergies and the scratching etc stopped.. although instill see it, it isn't as bad as I found putting every single wash on a softer wash, like synthetics or hand wash help MASSIVELY! 

I used non bio tabs and the smallest amount of softener. 

I washed my socks separate from anything else, as is towels and bedding.. 

Tshirts etc all got put in the same wash. 

Anything fluffy like jogging bottoms, socks, towels was the main cause (it's up to you if you put it on a cotton)  as apparently that is more aggressive the way a machine spins.

So with me having developed some sort of allergy since I've gotten older (34) I've stuck with this and I see massive improvements.. to my scratching and also to the amount of fibres flying around.

Nothing can control it, it will always be there, maybe perhaps, like I have, never noticed it before until it started bothering me.

I hope this helps someone at least.

Any questions, please dont hesitate and emailing me (alexstewart.jnr@gmail.com) or on this (If I see it) lol 

Also,... when drying, just leave it to dry naturally as tumble dryers and sheets may cause more damage (what I found) as laundry sheepskin is contaminated with it!!

Hope this helps!! :)

• Root Admin
20 hours ago, alexjnr87 said:

SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM, well, at least for me.... and it has worked...

Dunno if I am commenting on the right bit as on my phone

Hi Alex. Which problem are you refering to?