John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Indesit IWDC6143 Washer/Dryer - Grinding Sounding Drum - Sparking

• Members

Hello,

The first fault I noticed was the machine didn't seem to work. All the lights would flash so you couldn't do anything, no change if I switched it off/on at the mains. So I plumbed in an older washer that has a problem taking conditioner.

After several months I decided to hook it back up to refresh my memory before posting at such a place like this.

Oddly it was no longer flashing but, something with the spin of the drum didn't sound healthy. A sort of grinding sound, so I kept an eye on it and I believe I saw a blue glow coming from inside the drum at the bottom so I turned it off. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhXpnE5QX2I

Maybe it has been that way for a while and I just haven't heard/noticed since it is in the garage.

Any input would be appreciated.

Edited by Paft
youtube link and tags

• Root Admin

Hi Paft. When all the lights are flashing it's usually because the washing machine is displaying a coded error code. It's detected a fault.  Unfortunately that could be caused by virtually anything. You need to have access to the error code explanations. Many of them are kept secret by manufacturers, though not are. 

The only thing that could, "glow" underneath the drum would be the heating element but that should glow red if anything. I'm assuming that you meant that the glow came from underneath the drum rather than inside the drum? If it was inside the drum the only thing I could imagine could be may be a big spark caused by metal against metal, though I wouldn't expect that to be described as a glow, and more likely as a flash.

With any noise that you get when the drum is turning you have to bear in mind that you are hearing a noise when both the motor and the drum are turning. So in order to troubleshoot you need to disconnect the drive belt and then spin the motor and drum by hand separately to see which one is causing the noise. It's easy enough to spin the drum by hand but the motor would be difficult to spin fast, so if there is no noise on the drum with the belt disconnected you may have to try actually running the motor the belt off.

Listening to the video I would suspect that the noise is coming from the drum. There is a possibility of some metal object that has got inside there.

I have extensive articles and trying to troubleshoot a noisy washing machine on my main site Whitegoodshelp -

Noise coming from washing machine

More causes of a noisy washing machine

• Like 1

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Having said the above I've just remembered that some washing machines such as some Indesit models that are flashing all of the lights may actually be displaying an elaborate error code so always check the instruction manual to see what it says about them. If it doesn't mention all lights flashing then it's probably something gone badly wrong.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.