John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

New washing machine leaving black marks on clothes

• Root Admin

Hi. If you mostly use 30 degree wash cycles the washing machine could be disgustingly filthy inside. Can you see any gunge if you pull back the door seal where it meets the lip of the drum?

Read this article - laundry not getting cleaned in washing machine - coming out with marks

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy appliance spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• 1 month later...

Thank you Ake! This seems to have done the trick. I've changed the RPM to 1000 each wash I do and haven't had any streaks since. After all the advice above, it has been a good reminder to regularly maintain the washing machine bits and pieces by giving it all a clean every now and again. But I'm almost certain it's the spin cycle speed, and the marks did seem to be lint based.

• Root Admin

Hi All. I think that marks like the ones shown in all the previous photos, where there are long dark lines, can only be caused by the laundry being dragged on the rubber door seal - or more accurately being trapped in the gap between the door seal and revolving drum and dragged around.

This seems to be much more common on washer-dryers (are the photos from washer-dryers?) because there is a vent built into the top of the door seal on a washer-dryer where the hot air from the dryer section is pumped into the drum. Laundry seems to catch on this more easily.

Inside the drum, laundry is isolated from everything except the door seal. The only other source for marks on laundry is either redeposited grease and grime from not using enough detergent, something in - or on - the laundry, or something inside the outer drum just underneath the stainless drum.

The latter can manifest itself with small spots on the laundry. Sections of the laundry (especially cottons) get forced through the small holes in the drum by the centrifugal force of spin and can scrape on gunge or even some object underneath. The latter of course only produces spots because only the small part of laundry that's pushed through the holes gets affected.

Ake's previous suggestion of reducing spin speed which seems to have helped him, and microelk is interesting. It may be that the faster spin speeds facilitate the problem. It's important to note by the way that only cottons should be spun at full speed. All other fabrics need slower spin speeds.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• 5 months later...
  • Root Admin
2 hours ago, shedsur said:

It's like it's been pinched between black rubber and a black mark is left. 

There used to be extremely common a long time ago on Hoover washing machines when all of their door seals were black. But as they are now all grey, it shouldn't really happen. However, inside a washing machine drum, the only way that laundry can get pinched, or suffer friction damage, is if they get trapped in between the gap between the door seal and the drum and get dragged around.

My experience is that this tends to happen much more on washer dryers, and also if a drum is overloaded. But by overloaded I mean if it has so much laundry inside that items are forced up against the door glass.

It is possible for laundry to be dragged on gunge and grime inside the main outer drum (underneath the revolving in a drum), but this only happens if either the drum is very loose on its shaft, and almost scraping on the outer drum, or during spin when certain items of laundry get expressed through the holes through centrifugal force. This can cause laundry to scrape on the outer drum. But in both of these instances the marks would be "spotted", in line with the holes in the inner drum.

Hi Andy, thanks for all your time and explanations. It's really appreciated.

My Bosch machine is a washer/dryer but we don't use the dryer. In my case I'm certain the marks were the lint/gunge build up and they did generally wash out (eventually). And I'm sure that many of us do put a lot into the wash which is going to push the contents into the crevices more. 

Since February I've been reducing the spin speed to 1000 (defaults to 1400) and haven't had any marks at all. My previous machine was about 20 years old and I wonder if the spin speed even went that high.

Each time someone finds this thread and comments it does remind me to go and give my machine the once over LOL.

Take care everyone. 🙂 

hi Andy

are you sure it is not ball bearings leaking oil in the drum  i have bosch WVG30461GB  5 years old 

i have the same black marks like those jeans.  i am going to remove  boot gasket soak in bleach

if that does not work i am going to try and split the drum change bearings 

i would need to get another 5 years for this work.  bosch wont sell bearing where would i get bearings and seal

and what is the best glue for this job

• Root Admin

Hi wdc.  Bearings shouldn't leak into the drum. They are sealed in the back of the drum and protected by a seal in front. They don't have oil in them either, just a bit of yellowish grease. If anything inside the bearings could get into the drum then water would also easily get into the bearings. This would quickly wash away grease and make the drum pretty rumbly and noisy. 

If manufacturer doesn't supply drum bearings, then they are designed to be unrepairable. I would say it's not worth trying to circumvent that. You would need to replace not only the bearings but the seal if front of them that keeps out the water. If they are in a sealed drum you are unlikely to be ble to buy such a seal. 

Also you would have to try and seal the two drum halves back together when it's not designed to be done and the drum bearings could be difficult or even impossible to knock out. 

been thinking about this - could it be deteriation of the black hose that goes from the soap dispenser drawer to the outer drum tub? - say if like when that black rubber deteriates  (I cant spell that word and the spell checker isnt helping either lol but hopefully you know what I mean ... like the black rubber hose breaks down)  and then the black rubber from that hose from the soap drawer to the tub that is breaking down (due to chemicals such as the soap detergent liquid or powder and fabric conditioner) puts a lining of yucky black rubber on the outer drum tub and on fast spin speed the clothes are being drawn through the holes of the stainless steel drum and just scraping on the outer drum and picking up the black marks. 

If it type of machine where drum can be halved in two I would be having a real good look at that outer plastic tub inside for any evidence of black marks and also checking the black hose from the soap drawer to outer plastic tub and if perishing / breaking down would replace that. 

I would be also looking at the copper pipe of the house. Is that coming from the mains cold water with high pressure or is it coming from the header tank up in the loft/attic? if it is coming from the attic header tank could inside that storage header tank be dirty water? - then the flexible rubber hose from the copper pipe to the washing machine cold water inlet pipe , what is that made of? the older black rubber hose type or the newer grey hose? - if old black one the pipes you can pick up in electrical shops for a fiver , try changing that - even with the grey newer pipes over times the pipes I have seen as fine but when I have taken off the pipe the rubber o- seal at each end have perished over time, that would let black marks into the washing machine, whilst that rubber inlet hose is off I would pull out the little filter inside the cold water inlet valve of the washing machine (a pair of long nose pliers to pull it out) and inspect that fully, any flecks of black rubber/gunge or limescale in it? - water could be going past that filter and picking up the black specks and taking it into the washing machine. 

Then you have (under the top lid of the washing machine) normally black rubber hoses from the 2 water solenoids to the soap dispenser drawer (1 black rubber pipe is for the wash cycle the other pipe is for the fabric conditioner rinse cycle, they can perish / break down over time too. 

Re- if you had to split an outer tub apart to check inside that , before reassembly where the original seal is then some very high quality a bead of waterproof (with antifungal) sealant the one you apply with a cartridge gun , a good amount of that should seal it up nice and proper ,
But if it is the case that the outer tub is yucky with perished black marks and gunge and dirt then the longest intense wash at 90'c with no washing in the drum and no detergent or fabric conditioner used and over 3hr wash at 90'c - or even better if the machine has a dedicated "Drum Clean Cycle"  - can really work wonders if you even tried a few of them to dissolve all the black dirt and gunge that has built up in the machine and then a maintenance wash of 90'c once a month to keep it clean. 
Good luck.

• Root Admin

If it had a black rubber seal between the two halves of the drum that could potentially rot and cause marks.

I used to see hoses and seals going tacky and breaking down, but usually on really old washing machines like 15-20+ or when people used to use that nappysan to treat dirty nappies. I presume virtually no one uses cotten nappies any more u less maybe it's come back into fashion for some reason. 

I can't imagine any proper detergent causing any adverse effects though. Maybe if there are some sort of chemicals getting onto laundry that may cause some problems. 

good call about the black rubber seal that holds the front and rear split tub, i never thought about that. 

I think I read somewhere that bleach used regularly can perish rubber and rubber seals, thats why they say dont use bleach in washing machines and dishwashers. 

washing powders (especially for whites) have bleaching agents I don't know if bleach and bleaching agent is the same thing? - but I cannot see them bringing out powders with bleach in that damage the seals and rubber in washing machines would they? 

• Root Admin

No Andy, I've never heard of, or seen any damage to hoses caused by detergent, especially the soap dispenser hose.

Yes bleach can damage rubber. I've been on at our lass for years to stop pouring it down the sink and bath as it causes the rubber o rings and seals in the plumbing  to rot - and then leak. They create black smears when you handle them, which is similar to the problem here. 

Also, vinegar can damage rubber too. 

good point Andy, and these eco friendly shows are always telling you to use vinegar and other products to clean appliances as well instead of propriety cleaners as its good for the environment - even one show i watched suggested a cup of vinegar or cup of bleach on the top rack of the dishwasher every time you load the dishwasher , so that eventually over time would most probably perish the rubber seals and pipes let alone what it could do damage to the stainless steel interior 

• Root Admin
6 hours ago, wdc said:

black grease bosch bearing

Thanks. There's no need for black grease 😂 But even so it shouldn't be possible for grease from the bearings to get into the drum because they are sealed from the drum and water.

If the drum bearing seal fails, then potentially it could, but the weight of all that water should force any grease out through the back of the drum where there are two drain holes designed for that job. 

So if the drum bearing has failed and grease could get out, a mu h bugger problem would be that water would run into the bearings. This should cause a rapid deterioration of the bearings with them becoming noisy and eventually collapsing. 

But if there is black grease in there then it can't be totally rules out as a source. 

• 1 month later...

My LG front loading washer & sdryer are and have been giving me the same headache.  Thanks all for this great forum. 

some particulars:  

10 year old W/D machines in great condition.  No black gaskets, seals, door liner or anything. 

Black streaks on pullovers that look like they're caused by rubber or plastic being scrapped on the cloth.  There are no smudges.  It ONLY happens to my polo type pullover shirts - except 1 time: when i had a tee shirt in with the polos and it got streaked.   The polo shirts are always small loads.  And it doesnt happen every time but often.  but I often run an extra spin dry in the washer! - maybe the culprit.

It has never happened with any 'regular' load, colors or whites, which are usually larger loads. 

I am going to apply the rotation speed fix and i have a feeling that'll do the trick.  Thanks!

I've been puzzling over this for years.  Why only my Polos?!

What is evident from all the commentary is that it (at least in a certain category of cases) is connected to the human:  People mention getting a new machine and it happens again.  And it's obviously not a universal problem so not all machines or persons have it happen.  I'm going with spin speed.

12 hours ago, RANTHONY said:

Black streaks on pullovers that look like they're caused by rubber or plastic being scrapped on the cloth. .....

...It has never happened with any 'regular' load, colors or whites, which are usually larger loads. 

I am going to apply the rotation speed fix and i have a feeling that'll do the trick.  Thanks!

I've been puzzling over this for years.  Why only my Polos?!

(It is a terrific forum, isn't it!)

I found it was mostly my cotton things: t-shirts, sheets. I suspect it has to do with the nature of those threads to grip and stretch while spinning? Not an engineer, but I'm sure there's a scientific explanation. I don't have it in me.

I'm still mark-free by reducing spin speed to 1000rpm (from default 1400) every wash.

• 4 months later...

I often wash my whites on 60 degrees and always find black streaks on one or two items (comes off with vanish). I followed advise from one of the comments on this site and lowered the rpm speed to 1000. It’s done the trick - 60 degrees on 1000rpm and finally not a single black streak to be found!

Edited by Sim
Spelling error or streak