TKH

New washing machine leaving black marks on clothes

Hi

My new washing machine is leaving black streaks on my clothes, and it happened with my last machine too. It is driving me insane! No one could get to the bottom of it so I paid for a washing machine repair guy to come round and he thought it might be the seal deteriorating and the marks may be from the rubber where the clothes are getting caught in the seal.

However I clean the seal every time as I’m so paranoid about it. I don’t overload my machine and nothing I put in is that dirty, no greasy clothes etc. I do a service wash at 90 with the powder that Hotpoint recommended to keep my machine clean. I am at my wits end. I have a 3 month old baby and all his white vests and baby grows are coming out with black streaks. My bedding is ruined. I’m too scared to put whites in now. The marks are a similar pattern, they have a white streak in between the black marks, like they are getting caught on something.

I wonder if anything else/the plumbing could be causing this. I’ve googled this problem and usually it’s caused by a build up of dirt and this is happening with a new machine and I’ve tried everything that’s been suggested re not overloading, cleaning the seal, doing a service wash. I also switched from liquid detergent in the drawer to liquid capsules in the drum (usually bio) with whitening powder in the drawer and whitening sheets in the drum as I’m so paranoid about the marks but this just came out covered in black streaks as well. I usually wash at 40 and avoid short washes but when I have done a short wash the marks are even worse 

Any help gratefully received. 

2C5AD1BB-E7DB-4754-A46B-540489643CC9.jpeg

Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

This might seem like a daft question but do you use a tumble dryer too? I once had troublesome marks on laundry where the washing machine got blamed but it turned out to be the dryer causing them. Apart from that, the marks look like the laundry is getting nipped or trapped in the door seal. However, door seals are grey and shouldn't cause black marks. All of the hoses inside the washing machine such as the sump hose and the main water inlet hose are black. But the only way laundry could come into contact with them is when pressed through the holes in the drum. That would leave spots not lines.

Washer dryers have a rubber flange at the top of the door seal where the hot air is blown into the drum. It's possible for laundry to catch up there. Try getting a white piece of cloth or sock stretched out over a hand and rub all around the drum firmly. Rub it in between the door seal and drum and around the hot air vent at the top of the seal. See if you can get any black marks on it which would show where they are coming from.

Yes I do use a tumble dryer too. I didn’t put the last load in so didn’t see it when it came out of the washing machine, only the tumble dryer 

However with my previous machines I had similar marks and it was definitely from the washing machine as I was washing in the Summer and not using the tumble dryer 

I’ll try the cloth suggestion and I will check the clothes before they go in the tumble dryer and report back 

What could it be in the tumble dryer that’s causing the marks and how do I get it sorted? 

I’ve got another plumber coming round on Friday as I didn’t want to go back to Hotpoint again until I’ve ruled everything else out 

Tina 

I have to say it was a long time ago but I never forgot the lesson it taught me about not making assumptions. Back then it was a Hoover tumble dryer and it was black grease from the dryer's front bearings. It's probably quite unlikely these days but just double check that the marks are only appearing after the wash. Check the other things I mentioned too and hopefully you may find something to report.

Hi. I’m fascinated to hear where TKH got to with this as I literally have had exactly the same scenario with a Bosch washer dryer which ruined countless white / light items of clothing with black (almost oil like) marks. It was less than two years old but we replaced it as it was destroying our babies clothes and bedding. We ended up replacing it with a Siemens washer dryer but the exact same problem is happening again. 

We had countless Bosch engineers out for the last machine and all said it was exceptionally clean so that’s the issue and like TKH, I don’t overload it and I run 90 degree empty washes to clean it out! Now wondering if it’s our water / pipes...

Any ideas? Any help GREATLY appreciated! Thanks! 

Hi 

Yes I am also having this problem , I purchased a Samsung Eco Bubble in November and am having lots of light items ruined due to these black marks 

Its driving me crazy , white polo shool shirts bed linen , the machine itself is clean i have carried out the maintenance wash I , I have had the engineer out who said he cannot find anything wrong with it , I am at my witts end 

Hi all 

I had same problem with two new Siemens 500 washing machines.  Found a smear of black residue at back of drum after a 1500 rpm spin which was default spin for a 60 degrees.  So, I experimented with different spin speeds and found that setting it at 800 or 1000 rpm there are no marks or oily residue.   Not ideal as washing comes out slightly wetter but I think I solved it.