Appliance Offers
laundryfairy

Lg Wm1437wfd (steam Direct Drive)

I wonder if anyone has any experience of the LG WM1437WFD (Steam Direct Drive). I have seen that it is a Which Best Buy but am unsure whether or not it is worth investing in such an expensive washing machine.

Thanks in advance.

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

At over £700 you are right to be cautious. The Which? best buy status is encouraging although it bizarrely rates it "poor" on rinsing. Lots of washing machines are accused by Which? of being poor on rinsing though due (presumably) to the low water usage.  Why cant modern washing machines rinse properly?

I would be cautious about the following points. LG are reported by Which? to be around the middle of the reliability chart but for £700 is that good enough? Also, LG are said by the independent repair trade to be, "not highly regarded within the repair industry because of issues with spares and having only limited technical information available". It has to be said that LG aren't the only washing machine manufacturer that makes it hard for the independent repairers, even Miele are accused of it. However, unlike Miele, the efficient national coverage of authorised engineers has been called into question because whereas Miele employ their own engineers, LG apparently use dealers and don't appear to have had a long established network in place. "LG aftersales service is one of the most nomadic contracts in the industry having been serviced in the past by Electrolux’s Service Force, then ISDAL (Independent Service, Domestic Appliances Limited) and now by repaircare.net with agents on every network complaining of poor spares and technical backup for the products since their introduction to the UK market."

Finally I am always naturally cautious about new things (aren't we all?) using steam in washing machines is new to domestic appliances although it's been used for a while in industrial washing machines. It's certainly innovative and LG seem to be leading the way. However, they have yet to prove that it's genuinely a better way. Mind you, if no one buys them they won't be able to!

I would expect them to be decent washing machines, it's just whether it's worth spending that kind of money on one or not.

Why take out a Which? 1 month trial?

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

The steam model you have chosen, I believe comes with a 5 year guarantee from LG. If you were to spend your money on what is considered to be one of the best, Miele, you would also get a 5 year guarantee for a model around the same price. However, the specification on the Miele would not come near the LG, for the same price, and same guarantee time. For example a £700 Miele would have around 6KG drum, but the LG has 8KG, also you are getting triple A performance with the LG, as for the Miele, it would more than likely be a ABB or AAB at best around these prices. You could also wave goodbye to the steam feature (but then, do you really need steam!?)

Of course, there is more to a Miele than Spec. and guarantee! And if we could all afford a £1750 washing machine with a 15 year guarantee we wouldn't need this site!!

I recently went for a £480 LG WM14316FD at a bit of a risk. It only has a 2 year guarantee, but I decided to buy it I just looked at that price over 2 years, and for the spec. it seemed a reasonable choice.

If I really wanted to spend £700, The 5 year guarantee would give me some confidence with that LG, and from my experience so far with the WM14316FD they seem a pretty solid machine, seems a solid machine! But thats the risk, only time will tell!!

My only concern would be the rinse issue, raised in the post above written by admin/(Andy?)

All that said, maybe you have plenty cash!! B) In which case I would get LG right outta my head and buy a Miele for around double that, and not worry for the next fifteen years!!!

Forgot to add - thats my de-ranged opinion, make of it what you will, or something :blink:

:)

Thank you both for your replies.

I am in the fortunate position that my 19 year old Zanussi is still working and therefore I think I will wait a while and see if any more information becomes available before making a decision. (It is strange to think that I spent £300 on that machine all these years ago and am hesitant about a £700 spend now - I could never imagine spending £1750 on a washing machine, at that price I'd expect it to wash, dry, iron, fold and put away.)

Thank you both for your replies.

I am in the fortunate position that my 19 year old Zanussi is still working and therefore I think I will wait a while and see if any more information becomes available before making a decision. (It is strange to think that I spent £300 on that machine all these years ago and am hesitant about a £700 spend now - I could never imagine spending £1750 on a washing machine, at that price I'd expect it to wash, dry, iron, fold and put away.)

The shops are full of cheap washing machines which aren't as well built and aren't likely to last anywhere near as long. That makes people believe £700 is a lot for a washing machine when it's only the "proper" price. You can now buy a Zanussi washing machine for £250. Taking inflation into account that's amazingly cheap. It's great they are so cheap but if they only last several years - aren't they actually much more expensive than they used to be?

£700 is a true reflection of what a proper washing machine with plenty of features should cost these days and Miele do excellent machines for that amount and less. With the LG steam washing machine, like the Dyson CR01 the high price is not for extra high build quality (although quality should still be decent) but for innovation and technical features.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

I absolutely agree with you. I think it is very easy to confuse cost and value.

I realise that the question I have is - "What is the value of the steam option?"

My understanding is that some dry clean items could be 'refreshed' rather than being sent for cleaning as frequently which is clearly a benefit. Would the steam feature clean better or more gently?

Thanks again.

I absolutely agree with you. I think it is very easy to confuse cost and value.

I realise that the question I have is - "What is the value of the steam option?"

My understanding is that some dry clean items could be 'refreshed' rather than being sent for cleaning as frequently which is clearly a benefit. Would the steam feature clean better or more gently?

Thanks again.

According to LG, the steam washing machine uses 35% less water and 21% less energy when tested against a conventional model. Steam-cleaning also "reduces shrinkage and extends the life of clothes".

It sounds a good idea, but I see it in the same way as many other new technologies such as Blue-ray, HD, Plasma TV's etc. in that they will either revolutionise the way things work and everyone will follow suit or they will fall by the wayside. Time will tell. Meanwhile they will be expensive at first. If you have the money to take a punt it could be a great machine.