John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

miele distinction 3000 - slower than usual final spin speed

Our washing machine has a max spin speed of 1500. We regularly use the Cottons programme (which would enable 1500 spin speed at the end) and we have noticed recently that the machine does not spin at its fastest during this (or any) of the programmes. Once a programme has ended we find that we then have to run the Drain/Spin programme separately and only then does the machine spin at its fastest 1500. I wonder if anyone can advise why the machine chooses to spin slower using the built in programmes - whereas I am sure it spun faster previously?

We have done the basics such as ensuring machine properly balanced and filter regularly cleaned etc.

• Root Admin

Hi there. The most common reason for a washing machine not to achieve the fastest spin speed on a cottons wash cycle, is because the washing machine didn't balance the load well enough. A heavy load of cottons going into spin when it is out of balance tends to thump and sway about quite violently, and can do damage to the washing machine.

For many decades I used to deal with all sorts of nasty damage, sometimes a washing machine literally wrecked itself. But then eventually they invented ways to constantly monitor the motor to see if it is running smoothly or not.

If the load is perfectly balanced, then they allow the motor to hit the full speed. If it is not balanced, the software will not even allow it to spin at all. Various states of balance in between will cause different results. So if it appears to be reasonably balanced, but not ideally balanced, then the software may allow it to run up to a certain spin speed—but hold off doing the highest speed.

However, this should not be happening on every single wash. Not unless the washing machine is being badly loaded every time, which seems unlikely. It's more likely to happen when there are towels and sheets inside. Especially if there are only a few towels mixed in with much lighter laundry, for example.

Theoretically, if a load has been stopped from achieving the full spin speed because it was not ideally balanced, then putting it back onto a separate spin should run into similar problems. However, it is possible that the separate drain spin program does manage to adequately balance the load, whereas the wash cycle doesn't. Maybe they get tangled up a bit more during the wash cycle?

Of course having said all that it may not be anything to do with balance. But that would probably need an engineer to diagnose. Just make sure you are using the full cottons wash cycle, and not one that maybe has just one line under it or 2 lines under it (I forget which one it is). But there is a 40° cottons wash cycle that does more gentle agitation for more delicate cottons, which may spin at slightly slower speed. Also make sure there aren't any options set that also affect how the wash cycle is performed. These can be checked in the manual.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy appliance spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Hi Andy, thanks so much for your quick reply.

The strange thing here is that after a full wash and without changing the load or its configuration, the max spin speed can be attained by selecting the Drain/Spin programme thereafter. It's almost as if the machine has forgotten that it has the ability to spin to 1500 on any of the other programmes.

I recently replaced the hydraulic rams as these were worn out. The drum turns nicely and to my eye is balanced well enough. I imagine it would literally throw a wobbly on the Drain/Spin programme at highest speed if something was awry.

• Root Admin

Hi. If the load is out of balance, then if you look at the revolving drum through the door glass, it should be swaying. Instead of just turning round and round, the drum will sway from side to side. Obviously, the more it sways, the more out of balance it is. If it is ideally balanced, then it shouldn't sway at all. So if it sways just very slightly, it could indicate that it is balanced enough to spin up to a certain speed, but not necessarily the full speed.

Another indication is the sound of the motor. In a perfectly balanced situation the motor ramps up to a specific speed and stays at that speed all the time the drum is turning. The noise that the motor makes is totally consistent. When a load is out of balance, then the motor has to work very slightly harder to move the laundry to the 12 o'clock position, and then as the drum passes that position, there is some gravitational force that means the motor needs less power to turn the drum back to the bottom. This process carries on each revolution, and results in a noticeable change in tone of the motor during the revolutions.

When a washing machine goes into the final spin at the end of the wash cycle, all of the turning backwards and forwards during the wash cycle and rinses may cause the laundry to get into a certain position. And it's possible that this position, which could involve a certain level of entanglement, makes it more difficult for the washing machine to balance the laundry ideally.

But when you put the washing machine onto a separate spin cycle, especially if by any chance you have adjusted the laundry, then the process is slightly different. For a start, let's not forget that the first time it's trying to spin the laundry, the laundry was completely wet through and very heavy. But when it's gone through the spin cycle, albeit not the full spin cycle, the laundry is now almost dry. So this situation is very different to the first time, and it could quite easily explain why it will do a spin at full speed the 2nd time around.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

1 hour ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

For many decades I used to deal with all sorts of nasty damage, sometimes a washing machine literally wrecked itself. But then eventually they invented ways to constantly monitor the motor to see if it is running smoothly or not.

I remember coming across years ago a very posh high end hotpoint machine Andy in the 90's it was (had a LCD digital panel as well)  and they had actually put these little microswitches on the shock absorbers!

image.png.1e60719a5eba0a916c89e07f555305d2.png

- I had never seen that before! - did you ever see those ones before or work on them?
Presumably if the washing machine were going to go into a unbalanced spin the drum would bash onto one or both of these microswitches and then send a signal back to the electronics to tell it not to go into a spin . i think the motor (carbon brush type) still had the tacho coil at the rear of the motor still, I suppose the micro switches was in addition to this. - I dont know how effective this system was because I never saw it on any other machines. 

my current Samsung 2020 model washing machine is a strange one , sometimes at 9 minutes to the end of the wash cycle it will sit at 9mins sometimes for around 10 minutes tumbling backwards and forwards to try and balance the load before spin and all that time (annoyingly) the drain pump is on, grinding away pumping noisily away because all the water has gone out of  the drain pump so just draining air .... and then after all that mucking about , most times, will just carry on going into a spin perfectly without any banging and without you opening the door and rearranging any of the clothes or adding or removing some, so you are then left scratching your head thinking why didnt you just do that 10 minutes ago instead of mucking about!!

• Root Admin

Hi Andy. Yes, I always thought they were extremely crude. They would cut the motor out if activated, but only after the drum had already gone out of control. So rather than prevent a problem, they just mitigated the problem. They were definitely better than nothing though. Back in those days if a washing machine went into a very violent spin, and they had been left unattended, then the washing machine would continue to do the full 4 minutes spin in crazy mode.

I used to see extreme cases of Hoover washing machines, that had a very crude rod and spring base suspension, where the metal rod of the suspension leg had been punched down so many times and at such force that it had literally put a hole in the floorboard. I also had cases where washing machines actually walked 2 or 3 feet across the kitchen. And cases where the worktop had been knocked loose or damaged by the washing machine constantly leaping up and down.

Believe me the forces involved in a very badly balanced load going into spin and continuing in spin are frightening. The worst things used to be bathroom mat sets. Many of them used to be very heavy when wet.

Here's a fun video that I found, that demonstrates in a very comic way how crazy a washing machine gets if allowed to spin continuously with a completely out of balance drum

haha , yeah there are some quite amusing video's on youtube of washing machines being loaded with bricks and all kinds of other things. 

i come across this pic earlier on , on the internet. - something tells me that it went into an unbalanced spin and the machine didnt recognise it 😁

image.png.e6724f69b4df7f5ba6d82a03da04f135.png

• 1 month later...
  • Root Admin

Hi Andy. Yes it looks a little bit staged to be honest, but this sort of thing definitely happened. I wrote an article about it - Hotpoint Indesit & Hoover Candy washing machines exploding