John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Washer Fills then stops ??? Help

Good morning, I’m stuck as I’ve previously fixed the washing machine in the past on three occasions by replacing the inlet valve and pump and door seal.

However this time the washer starts, fills with water then doesn’t progress so no wash/Spin cycle, the time just hangs.

Now I’ve stripped the pump to check for blockages, but I can successfully cancel the program and drain the water out. There isnt any  grinding or noise preventing the spin so it’s mustn’t be the the motors as nothing is happening and the belt is on and I when I manually turn the drum it feels fine.

I thought about the heating element reading that it won’t progress onto a spin if the water doesn’t reach the temperature but I’ve tried a rinse and spin cycle and the same thing happens ruling that out.

Another thing I’ve read was that it could be the door lock switch which can cause this and I thought I might order a new one but my only issue is the door is locking when I start the machine.

Any thoughts? It’s an integrated front loader Howdens HJA8501 (I guess their rebranded Bekos/Lamona’s).

thanks 

• Root Admin

Hi. The door lock just locks the door and passes power on to the rest of the machine. Sounds like it’s doing that ok. 

Isn’t the problem that the motor isn’t running? Does the motor run on spin cycle?

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy appliance spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Hi Andy,  thanks for your quick reply.  Just after it fills and you would next expect the machine to start turning (wash) cycle but there is nothing, no sound of the motor kicking in, just an infinite pause. I thought if it was a motor it might make a noise like it was at least trying to turn the machine, but you think it could be a complete failure? 

• Root Admin

Hi. You may get a motor struggling to turn, accompanied by crackling sounds if carbon brushes are worn, but most of the time the motor fails to run it just sits there totally silent.

If it isn’t something simple like the belt broken (it rarely is) then it could be various things and I would not recommend buying any part speculatively. Only if you can identify a definite fault and know for sure. 

I have some general advice here motor not running

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Hi Andy thanks for that advice and I’ve just read your guide. Since the drum turns and like I mentioned it’s silent when the program pauses prior to wash cycle, with your advice I’m thinking it is the motor that’s failed. 

I have just looked on the cost to purchase a new motor and it’s around £100 So perhaps this year I’m defeated and like you said it’s not worth me speculating at that price and I’ll have to purchase a new one.

Over the last few years I’ve been surprised just how much I’ve been able to fix on the machine (it’s only 5years old) at such a small parts cost.  But a motor replacement wouldn’t be worth the chance.

We bought the house renovated 5 years ago, with a new Integrated washing machine and Lamona Fridge freezer and the Fridge also completely failed last year loosing the heat. My advise to people is to stay clear of them. Our Samsung fridge which we kept is amazing and still going strong, I only wish I kept the amazing Samsung washing machine too but we didn’t have room. 

Thank you. 

• Root Admin

Yes it’s not worth gambling on a new motor because the fault could be a connection fault somewhere between the motor and the PCB or a fault on the PCB meaning the motor isn’t even being send the correct power. 

If your motor has carbon brushes fitted it may be worth taking it off and checking them as they can just cause a motor to stop running. 

• Root Admin

There is a link to some carbon brushes diagnostics in the earlier link that I posted.

Many modern washing machines no longer have brushes though, and they tend to be silent when you spin the drum by hand. Conversely, if you spin the drum with a motor that has carbon brushes fitted there is a slight ratchety sound as the brushes run over the segments in the armature. 

• Root Admin

Aye it’s common these days. If it’s almost silent on wash and all you can hear is the water sloshing around it’s a brushless motor. 

Fault could be the main coils on the motor, a connection fault in the motor plug or from there over to the PCB. The PCB not giving it power or some start capacitor failed. 

hello @Spamcan- I am going to hazard a guess if its a re-branded older Beko that it has a brush type motor and if you cannot hear a shrill when you turn drum by hand that the brushes have worn to such an extent they maybe are not even sitting on the brass segments of the motor armature at all, or the armature has so much carbon on it that you cannot hear it and have to clean the brass contacts on the armature. indication if it is really a brush type motor is that when the washing machine did work and it went into 'spin mode' did it 'shrill' loudly  or 'woosh' silently? if it shrilled then it has a carbon brush type.

Other thing you could check is the working of the pressure / water level switch. If that works properly then when the drum has got to correct level of water the switch should then send a signal to the circuit board and tell it to advanced (to wash / rinse etc) 

Other thing to check what is water input like - does it sound like water is gushing into soap drawer or a trickle or no noise at all? - or blockage or water input then washing machine may not advance ... but normally an error code will show up on display or a tap symbol if that happens on later washing machines with a display panel. 

worth an inspect of the carbon brushes though (if the motor is that of a carbon brush type motor)

here is the motor for a Lamona  HJA8501 - it is a carbon brush type motor:

a889b5c0-2547-44ec-8dcf-6d7be8fdd7b2.jpg.2d450a6e91342f4cfcecd74557f06cc2.jpg

Edited by andyr12345

• Root Admin

Hi Andy. Don’t forget if there were pressure system faults, the motor would still turn. If pressure switch jammed on thinking it was full of water it would still turn on spin cycle but not kick into spin and if jammed on empty it would still turn on spin cycle.