John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Hi all

I have a Miele W5780 which is only about 6 years old.  Yesterday the machine started to make a quite loud clanking sound when spinning.

Can someone please tell me, is this a bearing or shock absorber issue?

I've attached a video to show the issue.

Will add a picture in a subsequent post.

Hi. Was there something in the drum on that video? It looks like there was just 1 or 2 items in? If so that would cause it do be out of balance and thump about unevenly. What's it like with nothing in?

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

That drum looks quite elliptical. That would explain why the drum is so unbalanced when spinning.  It looks bad. Has it suddenly happened or has it been noisy for a while?

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Drum bearings usually have a deep rumble and when you spin the drum by hand it feels nobbled and rough. They don’t normally cause the drum to run so out of skew. 

They also don’t fail so quickly and normally slowly become noisier and noisier. The Miele front drum bearing is also very large. About twice the size of ordinary ones. 

It looks like the drum spider could have a problem but again the Miele drum spider is really well made. It’s almost as if the drum has been knocked out of true. Has anything got inside it to cause it to become out of shape or any sign of any physical damage to it?

No there doesn't seem to be anything inside, and the drum is still in perfect shape.

How would one even begin to understand what the issue is?

Is it worth me getting Miele out to look at it?

If you look at the gap between the top of the drum and the outer tub at the top as the drum spins (on the video) the gap changes drastically by about 2 inches. The drum looks completely out of true. 

If it is shaking about like in the video with nothing in the drum then the drum is completely out of true and would probably need replacing. Have you checked inside the sump hose and pump filter in case any object that could have knocked it out of true can be found?

6 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

If it is shaking about like in the video with nothing in the drum then the drum is completely out of true and would probably need replacing. Have you checked inside the sump hose and pump filter in case any object that could have knocked it out of true can be found?

No I haven't done that, I'll have to work out how to do that this weekend.  I don't believe Miele would replace the drum if that was an issue as its too costly for them.

How long is the guarantee? Some of their washers have 10 year guarantees. 

1 minute ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

How long is the guarantee? Some of their washers have 10 year guarantees. 

It was only 5 years so we are just out unfortunately.

It’s a tough decision because 6 years is no age for a Miele. It ought to last at least twice as long as that. A repair is likely to be very expensive but still hundreds less than a new one. 

I’d ask Miele for a quote for what it would cost if it needed a new inner drum and bearings. 

1 minute ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

It’s a tough decision because 6 years is no age for a Miele. It ought to last at least twice as long as that. A repair is likely to be very expensive but still hundreds less than a new one. 

I’d ask Miele for a quote for what it would cost if it needed a new inner drum and bearings. 

They said they would charge £130 for a call out, if its the bearings they wont repair it, but they will offer 50% off a new machine.

Wow. That’s crazy that Miele won’t repair their own machines that are built to last 20 years but only 6!

But that sounds like a decent offer. 

48 minutes ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Wow. That’s crazy that Miele won’t repair their own machines that are built to last 20 years but only 6!

But that sounds like a decent offer. 

The question is, do I really trust Miele now.  I'm going to do some homework and see what else is decent out there.