Appliance Offers
Sam Miller

Miele W570 leaking from water path seal between water inlet valve and mechanism behind dispenser

Hi all,

My W5780 alerted me to a "waterproof fault" i.e. the bottom of the machine had pooling water internally.

I've traced the leak to the black rubber "water path seal" between the water inlet valve and the mechanism behind the dispenser tray. As the machine fills, water is being pushed out backwards from the dispenser tray, forcing the seal (which doesn't have any clamp) to leak. Any advice please? All other electrical and mechanical systems are working fine. Seal looks good when removed. Could blocked nozzles or something inside the dispenser tray be allowing pressure to build in the incoming water and forcing it back out?

Be so grateful for any help - we have health issues in the family and can't really allow an engineer in to repair during Covid-19 outbreak. I'm a decent home mechanic and electrician, so given a steer I can probably solve it myself - I just didn't want to dissassemble the machine further than necessary without some advice!

Thanks.

water leak.jpg

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

If the seal looks okay have you tried just cleaning it up and refitting? If it's the type of seal that can be fitted the reverse way round that sometimes works but if it's obviously designed to go one way then you won't be able to. It's surprising how sometimes small seals can leak just because they get gunged up and once cleaned and refitted everything is okay.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Otherwise it presumably just needs a new seal fitting.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Thanks for your suggestion. This seal can only go one way - it has an 'S' profile to enclose the water feed pipe in the centre and wrap around the wider pipe it connects to on the outside. I removed the seal and looked at it closely: no cracks or gunk or any obvious reasons to leak. Feels snug when fitted. As the machine fills, I can see that water pressure is chugging pressure backwards into that connection - it physically moved a bit backwards and forwards.

I will replace the seal if so advised. Just seems to me that a new seal might leak the same way if subject to too much resistance in the water flow? Would you advise further disassembly of the flow path to see if there is gunk blocking something further downstream, eg. nozzle jets into dispenser tray? It's pretty dirty in there!

If you suspect flow is adversely affected it will be worth cleaning if you get to it. Maybe a new seal would be a lot tighter fit.

Thanks - that makes sense. I've ordered a new seal and I'll investigate downstream if the new seal doesn't fix the leak.

Very grateful for your advice. 

• Like 1