John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Miele W570 leaking from water path seal between water inlet valve and mechanism behind dispenser

Hi all,

My W5780 alerted me to a "waterproof fault" i.e. the bottom of the machine had pooling water internally.

I've traced the leak to the black rubber "water path seal" between the water inlet valve and the mechanism behind the dispenser tray. As the machine fills, water is being pushed out backwards from the dispenser tray, forcing the seal (which doesn't have any clamp) to leak. Any advice please? All other electrical and mechanical systems are working fine. Seal looks good when removed. Could blocked nozzles or something inside the dispenser tray be allowing pressure to build in the incoming water and forcing it back out?

Be so grateful for any help - we have health issues in the family and can't really allow an engineer in to repair during Covid-19 outbreak. I'm a decent home mechanic and electrician, so given a steer I can probably solve it myself - I just didn't want to dissassemble the machine further than necessary without some advice!

Thanks.

water leak.jpg

• Root Admin

If the seal looks okay have you tried just cleaning it up and refitting? If it's the type of seal that can be fitted the reverse way round that sometimes works but if it's obviously designed to go one way then you won't be able to. It's surprising how sometimes small seals can leak just because they get gunged up and once cleaned and refitted everything is okay.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy appliance spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Root Admin

Otherwise it presumably just needs a new seal fitting.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Thanks for your suggestion. This seal can only go one way - it has an 'S' profile to enclose the water feed pipe in the centre and wrap around the wider pipe it connects to on the outside. I removed the seal and looked at it closely: no cracks or gunk or any obvious reasons to leak. Feels snug when fitted. As the machine fills, I can see that water pressure is chugging pressure backwards into that connection - it physically moved a bit backwards and forwards.

I will replace the seal if so advised. Just seems to me that a new seal might leak the same way if subject to too much resistance in the water flow? Would you advise further disassembly of the flow path to see if there is gunk blocking something further downstream, eg. nozzle jets into dispenser tray? It's pretty dirty in there!

• Root Admin

If you suspect flow is adversely affected it will be worth cleaning if you get to it. Maybe a new seal would be a lot tighter fit.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi - I have exactly the same issue.  Water leaking from the black rubber seal.  I cleaned the joint and put some silicone on which has improved things slightly - but still leaks when the machine fills.

Were you able to get a spare part - and did it work ?

Pic below from the side on the machine (side panel removed so I could work out where the leak was coming from)

Thanks

Joe

image.thumb.png.dfde4d91ad3a415d64ffe4c81ccf41ee.png

Edited by JoeP

• Root Admin

This is unusual to find several people have the same fault on a Miele washing machine. It may well be that there is an issue that Miele needs to resolve. If you are sure that the water is coming from this sale, and not dripping on it from somewhere above, then the seal really needs replacing if you can't stop it with sealant.

once cleaning and refitting seal if it is thought that the pressure of the water is an issue forcing the seal back and to leak try turning down the water pressure on your washing machine tap at the rear of the machine found on your mains water pipe . 

Might need a bit of experimenting as turned down too low and you might find an error code flash up on the front display meaning the water pressure for the machine is too low for the washing machine to operate correctly , and only other caveat would be that with less water pressure going into the machine that the wash cycle may take a little longer to do as it waits for machine to fill up to its required level ... but it still will fill up to its designed level in the drum dont worry about that. 

Just a thought if the pressure of the water coming into the machine is very high and putting strain on that rubber seal there 

• Root Admin

Many thanks Andy. Of course, in theory, it shouldn't be possible for high water pressure to cause a problem. Washing machine water valves should be designed to be able to cope with all levels of water pressure and have a flow restrictor built into them. But it is definitely worth trying turning the water pressure down if you know you have high water pressure. I remember old Hoover washing machines used to leak out of the soap dispenser if the water pressure was too high, so that's a clear example of where the flow restrictors just weren't good enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally figured this out and fixed our washer!

This is what I tried:

- Lubricating the gears in the water path control unit. That seemed to work briefly, but then leaked again.

- Replacing the big rubber seal (you can order it from Miele), but it leaked again.

- Adding a rubber O ring to prevent the seal from shifting backwards. But it still leaked!

After all that I finally ordered a new water path control unit from Miele (call on the phone). That seemed to work briefly but then I had issues where it would fill forever until I turned it off.

Finally I realized the problem is the cold water valve, I replaced that and the washer works like new with no leaking.

What seems to happen is that the cold water valve goes bad, and then it gets stuck in the open position when the water path control unit is not in a mode where it wants cold water. Internally it contains a disc that has various inputs and outputs for water and a gear that spins to select which two to connect. One of the outputs is closed off for when there should be no water entering. If the cold water valve stays open when the disc selects the "off" position then the water pressure causes that big black seal to shift backwards and then it leaks.

If you're having this problem you should:

(1) First replace the cold water valve ($59). It might be getting stuck open.

(2) If it still leaks then replace the water path control unit ($220). It might be calling for cold water when the disc is in the wrong position.

You can look up your model and find the part numbers in the diagrams at Miele website, sometimes you have to call them on the phone to order the parts.

Note: You can also order just that black rubber seal ($8), but when you have this leak it's more likely to be the problem above.

• Root Admin

Thanks Elliot. I removed the link to Miele because when I clicked it, it just produced a page that said "permission denied".

I edited to fix the link but it looks lie we had a mid-air collision on the edit. You need to go to https://www.mieleusa.com/c/parts-and-accessories-24.htm (USA) or https://www.miele.co.uk/c/spare-parts-and-accessories-24.htm (UK) scroll down and click "VISIT THE SPARE-PARTS CATALOG" to see the diagrams and part numbers for all the components of the various Miele appliances.

Edited by Elliott

• Root Admin

Thanks Elliott. The link is only of use in the USA though? This is a UK forum, so most people will need to go to miele.co.uk

• Root Admin

Thanks Elliott. We do get a lot of people from all over the world, but it's mostly UK. Hopefully you've cracked it thanks.