John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Hoover Hnf 7167 No Power

boabject78

• Members

Hi everyone I'm hoping to get some advice on reviving my mothers Hoover Netxra Optima HNF7167 washing machine.
It all started when the 3 paddles broke, they were hanging on by the their screw fixings, which led to the machine not rinsing or spinning at the end of programs. I ordered and fitted new paddles and removed the coins and gunk from the drain, pump and hoses.
When i turned on the machine and started a program it started as normal except that the LEDs seemed to have a mind of their own, I did not realize at the time that it was an error code so my mother stopped the program and turned the socket power off then on again. Now the machine shows no sign of life at all.
I've checked the socket, plug fuse and the machine's various connectors but I cant find anything obvious.
The mains suppressor doesn't appear to be blown or swollen so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what could totally kill the machine. Can the suppressor break without showing any signs of damage?
Any and all advice would be much appreciated.

• Root Admin

Could be the main pcb. There may even be an internal fuse in there but I wouldn't mess around with it too much, specifically I wouldn't try to replace it with a new one. They are very expensive and come with no guarantee unless fitted by an engineer in the trade. To trace a dead machine fault you really need a continuity meter and to trace the live and neutral paths with knowledge of what to check and where power should go etc.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Members

Thank you for the reply my friend, I have a multimeter so I'm going to give the machine another look before deciding what to do next. Is there a rough guide available to what I should be checking for or is it just a case of checking for 12 volt continuity of the live and neutral cabling? Nothing on the PCB seems blown or smelly but I'll check that too.

Many thanks again for the quick reply.

• Root Admin

All checking is done with the machine unplugged. Using a continuity test meter it's a case of testing down the plug for live and neutral continuity. Some machines can hold an electrical charge even when unplugged - e.g. some Hotpoint washers could hold a charge big enough to give a nasty shock up to about 5 minutes after being unplugged!

You can check the live and neutral continuity between on off switch connections in some machines (not so easy when integrated into a control board pcb though) but without wiring diagrams or knowledge of how the machine works it's a little like shooting blind after you've checked the obvious things. Wiring diagrams are just not really availably, it's very difficult or impossible to find them for UK washing machines.

Don't forget to try another socket, I've known dodgy wall sockets not supply a full voltage before causing strange goings on with an appliance

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• 1 year later...
  • Root Admin

I have some extra advice on my Whitegoodshelp main site here - washer dead, no signs of life