John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Hotpoint WM51 motor armature query

Hi All! Yes, still got the HP New Edition WM51A. 800 spin speed wm. 1stly, has anyone successfully changed the bearing on the pulley end of the armature...,,? The pulley seems to be a shrink fit, so would need to be heated up (without incurring damage to the armature windings,) to remove it.  Alternatively, and this is where I need expert opinion, Andy, :-),  there is a pattern replacement armature assembly at DB Spares,  equivalent to part number 1603071,  the listing doesn't include my WM, but the pic 'looks' the same as mine

Here's the listing

https://www.dbspares.com/spares/hotpoint-pattern-armature

Any thoughts please,?

• Root Admin

Hi. The bearings on armatures are press fitted. They are removed with a bearing puller and fitted with bearing press although I used to knock them on with a special tool that fitted over the shaft and on to the inner bearing race.

The armature shown is of a very old style armature, possibly 30 years ago It's also not a genuine one although would still work. The only way to be sure would be to contact the seller but it's probably for very old motors.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy appliance spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Hi Andy! Thanks for your reply...appreciated👍

Regards to the pulley on the armature spindle.....is that also possible to be removed then to get to replace the bearing behind it ? and if 'yes', what's the best way to tackle it....regards, Nick 

• Root Admin

Hi. As far as I know you can't get the other bearing off due to the weird belt pulley situation. These parts were never meant to be repaired. We used to replace the bearings on the Hoover motors, which was easy because they (like most armatures) don't have an additional thicker belt pulley section. However, we used to replace the bearings about 50 years ago. Since around the 80s we used to only replace the armature which came with bearings attached and since the 90s only the complete motors.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy appliance spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.