John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Ever known cleaning buttons cause an error?

I know from this forum my AEG L7548WD is 10 years old (how time flies). It's been working fine, but I recently cleaned the front when it was off, not particularly vigorously I didn't think, but getting the dirt off the buttons because it sticks out in front of the countertops and they get dirty. This time I switch it on and it's on different setting to the ones I normally use, and in particular was stuck on drying with any setting, showing an Err when I tried to start it. After pressing several buttons, on off etc with the erroneous drying option always on, I was about to give up when I gave it one last try (switch off, firm pressing of all the buttons) and it seemed to 'unstick' and return to normal but I'm a bit wary.

Should I try it with a standard wash option no dry? What's the worst that can happen? (Flooding/burning visions)

On age, what's more important in how long a machine lasts, age or heaviness of use? If a machine was rarely used could it last twice the average time, or vice versa?

What's the longest you've known a washer/dryer last?

This link confirms what you usually say, cheap builds nowadays mean no repairs = throwaway culture.

I always try to go for the quality option, but even then people say they're not as good as they used to be (like everything 😂).

Are there any white goods that buck this trend or is it universal? My fridge freezer recently gave up after twenty years, that's the longest I've known. Thanks.

https://www.repairaid.co.uk/washing-machine-lifespan/

• Root Admin

Hi. It's possible one of them just stuck. Try spraying some wd-40 on them to clean and lubricate them (wd-40 doesn't conduct electricity).

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy appliance spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.