John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Hotpoint selling split tubs again?

MelS

By chance I came across a thread in another forum the other day, the poster had discovered that the parts diagram for a still current 2021 Hotpoint model, showed a split tub, which would make the bearings replaceable!

It was suggested that it probably was designed by Whirlpool and is apparently made in china.

Its also got a proper (parts and labour) 5 year manufacturer warrantee. I've not seen a Hotpoint offering that since the 1980s.

Model h7w945wbuk   https://www.hughes.co.uk/product/kitchen-appliances/laundry/washing-machines/hotpoint/h7w945wbuk

Parts diagram here: https://www.hotpoint.co.uk/spare-parts/bom/h7w945wbuk-859991624740

Caveat: there seems to be two variations of this model, and the site only shows parts for one of them (859991624740). 

I don't think I'll be buying Hotpoint again though.

It was suggested that it probably was designed by Whirlpool and is apparently made in china.

I would guess it is also possible that Whirlpool are contracting a chinese washing machine manufacturer to design and make Hotpoint branded machines for them.

• Root Admin

Hello Mel. Interesting. In a way I'd be surprised because they did it to save manufacturing costs, but in another way I wouldn't be surprised because ultimately it's a highly unsustainable practice that they all embarked on. Unfortunately for most people it probably won't make a lot of difference because it's still likely to cost a couple of hundred pounds to have them replaced by a repair company, which is what the vast majority of people would face. So therefore most washing machines are still as unrepairable (due to economics) as they have been for some time now.

I can imagine some cases though where if someone appeared 8 or £900 for a washing machine and it was only the 4 years old they might be prepared to pay £200 to have it repaired. Although in that case I believe they would have a valid claim under the consumer rights act 2015 that it hasn't lasted a reasonable time but that's another argument :)

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy appliance spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

I wonder with this parts and labour 5 year manufacturer warranty they offer if that is it and nothing more  to pay at time of repair? - like i wonder if they still charge a price for callout/diagnose and at that extortionately?

I was surprised when I got my Samsung washing machine to read on the label it was 'made in Poland' because I have always thought of samsung being a South Korean company and products made there.

• Root Admin

If they have to guarantee them for 5 years, you would think it may be because it's cheaper for their engineers to replace the drum bearings rather than the entire drum. But replacing drum bearings is very labour-intensive indeed, and engineers cost a lot of money per hour and need to do as many jobs per day as physically possible. So I would have thought it would actually be cheaper for them to replace the entire drum. I'd expect it would easily take an extra 30 to 50 minutes to strip down the drum, knock out bearings, knock in new ones, fit the seals and reassemble. The outer drums may be very expensive to the consumer but only a fraction of that price for the manufacturers.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy appliance spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

maybe they do it on a reconditioning basis (if not maybe that would be a good idea for washing machine repairers to get into - or manufacturers)? 

service engineer goes out, puts in a complete drum, and old drum is taken back to recondition and is reconditioned at their own time/leisure same with the rest of the parts like motors etc. 

I remember in the old days when I was in the motor parts trade we used  to sell recon radiators, starter motors and engines and other items at a fraction of a price of brand new parts .. and it also stopped  a lot of waste as well 

• 2 weeks later...

If the bearings did fail during the guarantee, given the amount of work, I'd hazard a guess that they'd likely replace the machine itself. 

We had the bearings fail in our final Hotpoint washing machine when it was only about 14 months old, which we'd bought somewhere around 1998 - 2000 and paid for a Hotpoint service engineer to replace them, and even back then he removed the rear half of the tub and discarded everything including the drum, I'm not sure if he even bothered to salvage the rear pulley. 

I believe the machine might have been a WMA model (possibly wma 31P), which I've since read were actually still being made in the UK at that time, so didn't say much for UK manufacturing quality! Didn't try a consumer rights claim because I'd have had to provide evidence such as an independent engineer's report stating it was a manufacturing fault to rule out misuse. I think the machine lasted about  8 years after that. 

Edited by MelS

On 29/11/2023 at 12:23, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hello Mel. Interesting. In a way I'd be surprised because they did it to save manufacturing costs, but in another way I wouldn't be surprised because ultimately it's a highly unsustainable practice that they all embarked on.

It surprised me as well. Perhaps whirlpool's US models still have split tubs, so they designed their new UK models the same way.

Talking of cost cutting, I notice one of the more recent trends by some manufacturers seems to be to attach the pump direct to the sealed tub, doing away with the flexible rubber sump hose, so also no more service flap for easy access to clean the coin trap. And of course many manufacturers  already mould the water level pressure chamber into the sealed tub as well. 

I also happened on an article a few years ago showing a new design for mounting the drum bearings directly into the moulded plastic tub with a engineered plastic insert, doing away with the machined metal boss that the bearings would normally be pressed into, so you couldn't replace the bearings even if you took a hacksaw to the machine. Fortunately that idea doesn't seem to have caught on, I doubt it could be very reliable.