John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

AEG washing machine hangs after a washing cycle and does not enter a rinse cycle

I have an AEG ÖKO-LAVAMAT 72640 Update washing machine, 2003 vintage, which means that it is now 20 years old.  A fault has developed and I am trying to determine whether it is worth calling someone out or whether I should just call it a day and buy a new washing machine.

The fault manifests itself by fault code E10 on the display and the RINSE+ indicator flashes.  This occurs after the washing cycle but before the rinse cycle starts.  Basically, the machine hangs and no water flows for the first rinse.  I’ve been through the trouble shooting causes in the User Information booklet, but none of them apply.  I have tried stopping the programme at the point where it hangs and starting a GENTLE RINSE programme, but that also hangs with no water flowing.

I am not completely desperate because I have found a workaround.  If I stop the programme at the point where it hangs after the washing cycle, I can select the STARCHING programme with the RINSE HOLD button pressed. After that programme has ended, I can select the STARCHING programme again, this time with the appropriate spin speed selected.  All this effectively gives me two rinses and a spin, which is all I need to finish a wash.

So, another way of looking at the problem is that water flows for a washing cycle and a starching cycle, but not for a rinse cycle.

My guess is that the electronic printed circuit board (control board, timer board, or whatever it is called) has developed a fault and no longer causes the water input valve to open for a rinse.  If that is the cause, the obvious question is, after 20 years, would a replacement board still be available?  The other question that comes to mind is whether the software can be reinstalled and whether that might solve the problem (“Update” in the model name means that the control system can be reprogrammed).  But, if it is a hardware problem, that is not going to help.  Another idea is that one or more of the connections to the printed circuit board have come loose and need to be reengaged.  But I would need to remove the lid to check those.

Any ideas or advice please?  Might it be worth calling someone out (with a hefty call out charge), or should I just give up now and buy a new washing machine?

• Root Admin

Hello Tony. Unfortunately, it is often impossible to buy spare parts for washing machines that are 20 years old now. These days, you can even struggle to buy spare parts after several years.

Old washing machines used to have three fill valves. Hot valve, cold valve (for rinsing) and a valve for the fabric softener. Most wash cycles used to fill with hot and cold water at the same time. So if the cold valve was not letting any water in, because it also filled with the hot water supply, I wash cycle would still work okay. However, when it came to the first rinse, and the washing machine needed to take in water only from the rinsing valve, this is when you would get a problem.

Is your washing machine hot and cold fill washing machine?

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy appliance spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Thank you for the reply Andy.  Yes, the spare parts situation is as I suspected.  But I was under the impression that manufacturers have to be able to supply spare parts for a certain number of years after the product has been withdrawn (7 years? 10 Years?).  Not that either 7 years or 10 years would do me any good now.

No, my AEG washing machine is cold fill only, so I suspect that there is only one fill valve.

I did look at trying to remove the top/lid of my machine to see whether I could inspect the PCB and its connections.  However, the top/lid is secured by Torx screws, and I don't have any Torx screwdrivers. But I have a neighbour who might.  Would you happen to know what are the common sizes of Torx screws used by washing machine manufacturers?

• Root Admin

Hello Tony. I don't believe that washing machine manufacturers keep parts in stock for very long at all. Mostly this goes completely unnoticed because in all honesty there is hardly any demand for spare parts for old washing machines any more.

You used to be able to easily get spare parts for washing machines that were 20 years old. That's a long time ago now. A time when they didn't keep changing all the parts constantly, and a time when washing machines didn't last on average only several years.

To be honest, with washing machines having such a short life spans these days it's arguable that it's no longer necessary. But lots of washing machines will last a decent amount of time, and when eventually they do suffer a breakdown many will find they cannot get spare parts for it.

However, a bigger problem will prevent them from even wanting to buy them in the first place. That is the simple fact that the cost of paying a professional repair man has become so expensive that most people don't even bother looking into it. I presume and hope that independent repairers are a fair bit cheaper, but some manufacturers are quoting almost £150 labour to attend and repair a washing machine. If a washing machine is seven years, and it suddenly breaks down, most people will just scrap it and buy a new one.

The whole thing is a complete and utter mess, and light years away from how things were when I first started in 1976. The recent right to repair white goods legislation is a clumsy (and in my opinion pretty futile) attempt to reverse this situation. You may be interested to see my thoughts on it here - Right to repair white goods

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy appliance spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.