John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Bosch WFK2801GB/01- can I use an alternative motor or armature?

I have a Bosch WFK2801GB/01 machine circa 1996/7 and the bearings have gone on the motor (it's a 1400 max spin motor). Before I go down the motor replacement route (expensive or poor second hand one), I want to consider the possibility of a swap, so I was wondering if anyone knows if there is another motor or armature that could be used as a replacement for this machine?

Has anyone compiled a list of compatible Bosch motors or armatures?

My thoughts are, finding a compatible motor would be more difficult than finding a compatible armature, as surely there must be another Bosch armature that would fit this model's motor? The idea being a compatible armature would come with bearings from a donor motor and be transplanted into mine.

Appreciate any replies to this query... thanks.

• Root Admin

Hi Marky. Unfortunately I can only really say that I don't think it's worth repairing a washing machine that's so old. Parts are likely to be extremely and ludicrously expensive, or more likely just obsolete.

Even if you managed it, how long could you realisticly expect it to last before something else wears out?

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy appliance spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Thanks but I think it’s worth it….apart from being of the make do and mend era, I just want to keep it going because they don’t build them like this anymore. So easy to repair…A pump, inlet valves, drum bearings and a number of brush changes and it’s still going - until now of course😄 Just curious if anyone out there has the info I’m after….

• Root Admin

Hi there. The problem is that the make do and mend era has been dessimated for decades. I sincerely hope it comes back, it's desperately needed.  But even back in the good old days, washing machines only lasted 20 years or so.

So if there's one that's about 26 years old, even back in the hey day of repairs circa 50s 60s and 70s it would most likely be considered  beyond  economic repair or too risky to repair. 

No matter how much we want to, we can't repair and keep things going if there are no spare parts. Have you checked if any new parts are available? Usually you will struggle to get any spare parts after 6 or 7 years these days. 

Good luck though, and please let us know if you get anywhere.  I appreciate that posting here is part of your quest to find spare parts. There's just no spare parts for such old machines, and no thriving repair community to source second hand spares from, especially on such old machines.

If you find one please let us know. 

Regarding motors I would think the only chance you have of finding one is from another similarly aged machine the same model. I honestly think the odds of finding one are very poor. If such a machine is around its likely to be still running for someone like yours was 😊 I can't imagine any of them being saved for spares because they will all have been scrapped whenever they packed in. 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• 1 month later...

By way of an update I took the motor apart and repaired it. I used a long bolt with a slot cut in the end to undo the 4 screws holding the ends on. Removed the armature and used a puller to take the drive belt pulley off the end, then pulled the bearings off both ends and the magnet for the tacho. One bearing was breaking up, the other was rattling. New bearings cost just £4.84 including postage! I used a socket and light hammer to drift new bearings and pulley back on. Reassembly was straightforward and it’s now as quiet as a mouse.

Edited by marky

• Root Admin

Hi Marky. That's brilliant. I had no idea that you were so determined. That's exactly how you would do it, and get round all of the problems. But few people have access to a bearing puller, and few people would go to the trouble of trying to source replacement bearings from a separate bearing company. I'm sure you feel a lot of satisfaction and achievement, and I hope you get a few more years of use out of the washing machine.

Well worth doing. I had a puller already but they are as cheap as chips on e bay. Old bearings had a number stamped on them so a search on e bay did the trick. The outlay is nothing compared to a call out charge with Labour. Nothing too difficult to have a go - with all the obvious caveats of safety first with anything electrical etc. I.e. unplug the thing first!

• Root Admin

Thanks for the update Marky. If I'd have known just how adamant you were about repairing it I would have been a little bit more helpful. I could have mentioned that it's possible to source bearings from a third party, and to use a bearing puller to remove the old bearings. I just honestly didn't think it was worth it with such an old washing machine when these days anything over 10 years old is considered a very old washing machine and 26 years is literally museum age :)