John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Leak and mould smell with Samsung EcoBubble 9kg Washing Machine

My washing machine has been smelling for quite a while, we've tried the hot cleaning cycle, vinegar, bicarbonate of soda, but the smell of mould always returns despite not finding any mould anywhere. I opened the back though and floor of the machine is totally rusty, it looks like something has been leaking, but I don't know if that would affect the smell coming from inside the drum. 

Can anyone help at all with the leak issue and possibly also make a connection to the smell?

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 23.13.03.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 23.12.46.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 23.12.10.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 23.11.49.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 23.11.35.png

• Root Admin

Hi there. I wouldn't expect that type of smell. But that bottom plate shows that something has been leaking for several years. If the smell is connected to that bottom plate then with the washing machine disconnected from the mains, you should be able to gently smell right inside the washing machine to see if it is indeed the cause. If that bottom plate does not smell the same as the smell you are getting, then it's got to be totally unconnected.

You should be able to work out where the leak is coming from by just following the trail it's left behind right up until it stops. Bear in mind that water can drip from higher up onto something. But if the leak was coming from a hose between the soap dispenser and the outer tub, then there should be a clear and obvious line of streaks going from the hose and running all the way round the outer tub.

An exception to this would be if the water leak was not coming from where the hose pushes into the drum, but was coming from where it was attached to the soap dispenser, or from a hole in the hose. In such a case, it might be possible for a water leak to drip through the air onto sections below.

But again, this should be able to be traced. If you have, for example, a pump cover that shows water has been running onto it but there is no physical place it could have tracked down to reach that point, then you have to look directly above to see what may have dripped directly onto it.

I have an article here that gives very comprehensive but general advice on how to find a leak on a washing machine

You should also read my other article about washing machine smells and what causes them

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy appliance spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Root Admin

I'd like to add that if the actual water leaking into the base is rusty, then it could be coming from the drum bearings. In such a case though the drum should rumble when you spin it round. Also, the water on the concrete weight implies it could be leaking from the door seal where it fits onto the outer tub, or possibly from the outer tub itself.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy appliance spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.