John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Beko Washing Machine Fault - power cutting out? (wx840430w)

• Members

Hi all, 

We have a Beko wx840430w which is about two and a half years old now and had no issues until now. About six minutes into a normal cycle, the display starts intermittently flashing on and off (see attached video). The closest thing I can find in the troubleshooting part of the manual mentions about low voltage problems. There have been no issues with our power otherwise, so I'm not sure why this is malfunctioning in this way. The fault happens part way into a normal cycle, but the machine can complete a rinse and drain, so I suspect it's occurring when the element kicks in, although I could well be wrong. 

Any help with this would be outstanding. It would be a shame to have to get rid of what has been a great washer so far. 

• Root Admin

There’s a big thread on here about a Beko capacitor fault. Don’t know if it’s related or not. 

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Root Admin

This is the one 

• Thanks 1

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Members

Cheers Andy. I'll open it up and take a look. Most the repair people I've spoken to either want to replace the main board or the whole washer. Seems like a shame for a young appliance kept in good condition!

• Root Admin

Aye it’s something that needs to change. It’s ludicrous that they have never repaired the modules and PCBs. Manufacturers could easily just have the engineers replace them but send the old ones back to be repaired. 

• Members

There's no incentive on their end I suppose. You'd think in the current age of corporate social responsibility and environmental concern that someone would be worried about the impact of making all these appliances and chucking them out after 12 months and 1 day, but that's the world we live in. 

• Root Admin

Aye that’s the difference. The serious damage that’s being done to the environment is the reason they need to start doing it, and the reason they should be forced to start doing it. 

• Members

I managed to pull the main board out after first taking out the inverter (different location than the machines in the other thread). One of the HF3FA relays appears to be blown - one of the legs has de-soldered itself as well. Is this likely to be the causative fault or would this be symptomatic of something else? 

I would like to replace the relay, but I am likely to be ejected from the household if there isn't a working washing machine in the next couple of days. We have a new machine ordered but I'm tempted to cancel and try to fix it. 

Any thoughts? And any ideas of high street retailers who would stock relays like this?

IMG_20220417_112550696.jpg

IMG_20220417_112618111.jpg

• Root Admin

Hi. I would have thought any actual fault you can see on the PCB is reasonably likely to explain the fault on the washing machine. The problem is there are no spare parts available in the white goods trade.  

The only way to fix them is to know enough about electronics to be able to source proper equivalents from a different industry. As white goods appliance repairers don’t repair them we don’t know anything about fixing them or sourcing parts.

There are a few people on this forum that have different electrical backgrounds, and know about electronics, but I’m not sure if they follow many topics or not. 

• Thanks 1

• Members

Easter is delaying things a bit, but I've got a replacement relay coming on Wednesday and an ultimatum to get it fixed before the replacement is delivered. I will keep you updated with the result. 

IMG_20220418_125851086.jpg

IMG_20220418_125950531.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Members

Well, I gave it a shot. I replaced one then both of the relays and ran into the same problem. This is getting to an electronic engineer realm, as the relay that burned out before can be heard clicking and visibly arcing/sparking. 

https://youtu.be/zTafOBnq8Tc

Unfortunately that's as much time as I can spend fixing it. We've got a replacement coming on Saturday as we will have been a week without the washing machine. It's a real shame that the companies do not support more component level repair. Maybe one day!

Thanks for the support Andy. It gave me the confidence to try pulling this thing apart and give it a go. And it was good soldering practice too. 

• Thanks 1

• Root Admin

Thanks for the update. That’s the problem with fixing PCBs, you need to understand why certain components may fail and if other faults can cause the failure. Good effort though 😁

• Like 1