John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Water temperature?

ManOfManyNames

• Members

Ok, so my Miele W149 is still running like a champ. It was produced on march 8th 1999 so it`s starting to come of age. I replaced the drum bearings a few years ago because the old BBs were shot. Right after that i had a major drum leak that proved fatal for the original heater element so i had to replace the heating element after eventually fixing the leak. I just now replaced the two shot dampers with new ones from ebay but this package also included two brush motor thingies (not sure of the name) and also not sure if i should replace the old "brushes" at all or just leave them be?!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323946555899?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

But my real question is regarding the water temperature. Today i turned on the HOT (95celsius) programme to wash some tovels. I could feel the drum getting very warm so the heater element is working. After approx. 1 hour the programme starts to drain/cycle the old water and semi revv up the drum 2-3 times and refill the drum with fresh water. The programme is finished after around 92 minutes. After the first 1 hour i can no longer feel any warmth to the drum. The last 30 minutes or so, only cold water in the drum. So...is this normal ??? ...or should the water heat up as long as the program is running, all the way up to the end of the program, that is what i need to figure out now because if that is the case i have a problem :) 

Edited by ManOfManyNames

• Root Admin

To be honest the price of those shock absorbers and carbon brushes is way too cheap to possibly be genuine Miele spares. I would be very wary of fitting non-genuine carbon brushes in a Miele motor. The non-genuine carbon brushes can be extremely soft, they can wear out very rapidly and deposit a lot of carbon dust inside the motor, which can lead to damage to the armature and/or the motor shorting out.

Also if the motor is running okay I would not be concerned about the carbon brushes. My Miele washing machine is either 15 or 16 years old and I have never replaced the brushes. If the motor starts making a crackling grating sound or struggles to turn then I would investigate the brushes. If you wanted to be proactive you could physically check the sizes of the carbon brushes but if you take them out don't get them mixed up because each one will have bedded in nicely in its own position.

Regarding the heating of the water I'm not entirely sure what you're describing. If after an hour the programme drains the water and then fills with freshwater is that not when the wash cycle is finished and it has moved onto the rinses?

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Members

As for the heating element i bought an original Miele part. As for brushes i would probably buy original parts. This is the bearings i got for the machine, not sure how original they are. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163987051859?hash=item262e63d553:g:CyEAAOxyuR5TYq15

As for the shock absorbers it remains to see how long they will hold up. I have a feeling they will last a while. 

So cold water after the initial wash is completed is normal? I just seem to recall that prior, the drum was sort of warm and such when opening up to get the clean (warm) clothes. Picking cold clothes out of the machine feels a bit awkward but i do have to take into account that the tiled bathroom floor is heated and i did recently turn off the floor heating, lol. 😳

• Root Admin

Hi there. Clothes should be stone cold when they come out - should the washing come out warm after washing?

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.