John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

H2O error - Fills fine, empties fine. Baffled. (Hotpoint WMEF 742)

Hotpoint WMEF 742

Fills no problem. Loads of pressure going into back, loads of water filling into washing powder door (so 2 little solenoids on inlet are ok I presume). I put a new drain pump in it last year. I cleared exhaust pipe.

After 12 minutes on a 1hr 44 min cycle the H20 error appears and beeps constant. I can hear a pump spinning non stop but it just sits, doesn't fill or doesn't exhaust. If I hit pause, it allows door to open (no water in drum). When I press start again, it fills a little, empties a little then goes back to just a pump spinning and a H20 error.

Just put it on a spin and drain cycle and it done it no problem. Trying a rinse cycle now.

I'm baffled. 

That's strange, H20 error is a water fault (H20) and usually means it's timed out on fill.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

So the H20 error did appear on the rinse cycle. There is really good pressure from hose going into machine. When I open the powder door when I start a cycle there is loads of water filling. 

Could I manually pour a load of water into the powder door on the fill to see if that stops it? I presume it opens solenoid, fills and there is some form of high water level cut off closing solenoids again? If this doesn't fill quick enough it gives a H20 error? 

Inlet solenoids are cheap. Maybe I'll switch them out and see.

Yes you could. Though arguably it's unnecessary because if it isn't taking any water in and then timing out an H2O error the problem is clearly that the washing machine cannot take any watering. It's possible that it is just one valve that has gone. There is usually at least two separate valves or two separate solenoids on the same valve. One puts water into the right-hand side of the soap dispenser draw and another puts water into the left-hand side. It's possible that when water comes in initially it is coming from the valve that is okay but then when it wants to take in water on the main wash and or on rinses then the valve that supplies water there is faulty. Check out this article for further help and tips Washing machine not filling with water

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Is it an easy job to disassemble the solenoid valves? Might give that a go before waiting on replacements. They looked like sealed units if I remember right. Or what voltage are they? Might gerry rig something to spare solenoids I have.

Edited by nacimroc

You can't usually buy a solenoid separately. With double or triple water valves, if one of these solenoids has gone you should replace the unit complete. If you can detect that one of the solenoid valves has gone open circuit (and bear in mind they have a very high resistance), and by any chance you can get a solenoid they usually gently prise off but I can't guarantee it.

I would be very surprised if any manufacturer supplies any parts whatsoever for a water valve. They will usually be just supplied as a complete unit. Stripping one down (as opposed to taking off the external solenoid) is not a good idea. I did this once early on in my career as an engineer to replace a small rubber seal inside. Back in those days you could actually stripped down any part and by any of the parts inside. However, the lady went away for the weekend and a very slow leak that was undetectable when I was testing eventually caused water damage to the ceiling of the flat below. That lesson was learnt quick and early and I never tried to repair a water valve again :-)

Excellent news. Thanks for the update.