Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Dbuck

Miele W844 Pump run on problem

Miele W844 washing machine.

The cycle finish fine but the pump runs on and does not stop. You can open the door and then it stops

The drum is empty and water is pumped out fine.

Checked the filter and all is clear and the pump impellor is fine

This machine uses a pressure transducer to measure the water level - tried disconnecting the tube to this and the pump still runs on. 

Are there any other sensors that will keep the pump running at the end of the cycle?

Thanks

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Hi. If the pressure system was at fault it would cause other symptoms on wash, rinse or spin. If the washing machine otherwise works ok I wouldn't suspect the pressure system. There could be an overfill protection on the pressure system, that would fire up the pump if it thinks it is overfilling, but that would also cause it to fault on the wash cycle. Potentially if it thinks it is leaking it may energise a pump to get rid of the water. Check the base of the washing machine for a float switch and system.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Hi Andy,

There are no visible leaks and the inlet solenoid is tight. I've looked around the bottom of the drum and there don't appear to be any sensors there - no float or pressure switches or wired sensors. I've checked the tubes around the pump for blockages and all is clear. All I can think is the pressure sensor is also used to detect the water has been cleared by the pump at the end of the cycle - maybe the zero has drifted but I don't know how to check this or reset the zero. Also as standard the washer will let a small amount of water back into the drum at the end of the cycle (I assume to prevent any smells) but I'm not sure how this is measured and controlled. Its really strange. I need a time server Miele guy to reply maybe.

Hello. If it was the pressure system the washing machine would not function without fault or error. Does it complete a wash cycle ok apart from right at the end? I can’t think how the pressure system could have a fault that only shows after the last spin. My article here might be helpful and explains about the pressure system and common faults - how a washing machine controls water levels

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Thanks for the information but this Miele washer appears to use a different sensor (pressure sensor with analogue output)

See images of the sensor and fitted to main control board - but as you say this but must be working or the machine would not fill and run through the cycle.

Capture1.JPG

Capture.JPG

Hi. That’s a novel one. I would expect it works in the same way though. Water creates air pressure that activates a switch. I can’t imagine any other way it could work. 

I presume the rubber tubing goes to a pressure chamber bottle on the outer drum?

Hi Andy,

Yes the tube goes into a plastic syphon vessel at the bottom of the drum, I assume that as water rises it creates pressure in a large vessel which is amplified as it goes into the smaller tube pressing on the sensor - there must be an analogue output into the main PCB which will be related to level as opposed to a single trip level. This may be used to adjust water volumes for different cycles and efficiencies (It has a water plus button for adding more water). Allegedly you can connect a PC to the main board but I don't know how to do this ? this may have options to change programmes and reset this water level transducer.

However I still cannot understand why the pump continues to run on at the end - it even allows you to open the door in this state and the pump then stops and will not restart until the next wash is done.

Nice system and has worked fine for years but awkward to fix without the knowledge.

Yes only Miele engineers with a specific computer program can connect the washing machines to a laptop. Miele's pressure system looks quite different but essentially it will work in exactly the same principle. Air pressure created by water level which either activates a switch or is measured by a magnet moving inside a coil or some other form of electronically detecting pressure. As we have discussed and both agreed if there was a fault on the pressure system the washing machine would not function properly. If it functions perfectly okay apart from this not shooting the pump off at the end then it is illogical that it could be caused by a fault on the pressure system. It's probably more likely to be a fault on the PCB but of course they are going to be extremely expensive on a Miele washing machine. And it would be very risky indeed to try and fit one with no guarantee it would fix the fault.