Appliance Offers
uumode

Registration Of 10 Year Warranties?

For those who have registered for the FREE Miele 10 year warranty,

(currently underwritten by Domestic & General Services Ltd)

do you get any confirmation that they have processed it?

It would be helpful if you state which approximate year you registered (so I can tell if it was 9 years ago or 1 year ago)

I'm about to send it off via a recordable/trackable method, and was wondering if you get some sort of paperwork back, perhaps a simple welcome and policy booklet?

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

What model did you go for in the end and what do think of it ?

I got a W 3240, very happy with it in the short time I've had it. Though that can be distorted somewhat as I'm comparing it to a 20 year old (still was in use) machine that it replaced. Particulary happy with the 6kg honeycomb drum and the 10 year guarantee.

http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=320

I just hope it lasts as long as the Philips, 2027 is target date

Nice one uumode. It's a ahame you had to answer your own question but it's here for new members to find now.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Nice one uumode. It's a ahame you had to answer your own question but it's here for new members to find now.

Yes, I was a bit worried as the 'warranty' transpired to be an 'insurance' policy that is underwritten by a third party (Domestic and General) in this instance.

Some third party extended 'warranties' (underwritten by insurance companies) have been on Watchdog and the like, who highlighted possible 'scams' where the purchaser of the extended warranty had thought they had registered. 3-4 years down the line when they went to make a claim, to their horror, they find out that the insurance company hadn't received the registration or that their registration wasn't on the system! One particular company 'lost' most registrations and the people who were complaining on the programme didn't put it down to coincidence that it had happened to a whole group of them. It could have been lost in the post, but who knows?

So despite it costing me £4+ to send a letter Special Delivery, I had at least ensured that it had got there, and now they have confirmed B)

\o/

Hurrah

So anyone registering with any extended warranty, make sure you get confirmation, you don't want a nasty surprise down the line.

Yes, I remember this came up on one of the first posts of this forum - Powerhouse Extra Care Service Agreement, Cashback Agreement.The biggest scams I've seen have been the ones that are supposed to give you all your money back after x amount of years. In the early days of these schemes a lot of them went bust but these days they should be properly underwritten. They rely on people forgetting to claim within the short window of opportunity they open at the end of the contract, or not reading the very small print and realising you need to register or send off for a certificate. I could have been a victim of one such scam with an insurance cover for my new leather suite which offered to refund the policy fee if no claim had been made after 5 years. I'd had the policy a few months and only realised I needed a certificate after hearing about other people's failed claims and retrieving the policy documents to thoroughly read all the small print. They hadn't sent me the certificate I would eventually need to claim so I had to write to them to get it. I'm pretty sure many of them deliberately don't send out many of the certificates which is by any definition a scam.

The Miele guarantee is an extended warranty purchased on your behalf by Miele. The only thing I'd worry about are any exclusions. One very common (and in truth fair) exclusion is fair wear and tear although with a quality washing machine like Miele you shouldn't get much wear and tear for a very long time. I have carefully read the policy details supplied by Miele and found nothing to be concerned about but please let us all know if there is anything on the actual policy that people ought to know about.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

I have carefully read the policy details supplied by Miele and found nothing to be concerned about but please let us all know if there is anything on the actual policy that people ought to know about.

As it is a 'free' 10 year warranty, I'm perhaps less concerned about the exclusions than if I'd paid Dixons Group extended warranty price of £269 for 5 years.

What is covered:

QUOTE "Breakdown: the cost of repair to the equipment following a mechanical or electrical fault which stops the equipment working properly."

However, points I noted were (other points were expected):

1. If your machine is replaced with a new one, the 10 year cover immeadiately terminates.

2. If they cannot arrange a replacement (perhaps Miele don't make the model anymore) a contribution will be made towards the cost of a new machine in the form of vouchers from a retailer chosen by them.

3. Rust and corrosion is excluded

We received our Domestic and General Policy back after approximately 1 week, just have to put it somewhere safe and hope it doesn’t get lost.

QUOTE "Breakdown: the cost of repair to the equipment following a mechanical or electrical fault which stops the equipment working properly."

Does this mean if it starts to leak because of faulty door or door seal you are not covered?

Am also trying to think of other faults that could appear but wouldn’t fall into mechanical or electrical category.

We received our Domestic and General Policy back after approximately 1 week, just have to put it somewhere safe and hope it doesn’t get lost.

Does this mean if it starts to leak because of faulty door or door seal you are not covered?

Am also trying to think of other faults that could appear but wouldn’t fall into mechanical or electrical category.

My own personal interpretation of that, is the door falls under 'mechanical', and the leak means the equipment is not working properly.

- but it is purely my interpretation.

/EDIT

the operative word here is 'properly'. if that word was omitted, then that would mean the leak doesn't stop the machine from working - it continues to work with the leak.

Breakdown: the cost of repair to the equipment following a mechanical or electrical fault which stops the equipment working

is very different (again in my opinion) to

Breakdown: the cost of repair to the equipment following a mechanical or electrical fault which stops the equipment working properly

i.e. it is not proper for the washing machine to be leaking while it is washing, a properly working machine does not leak.

(like some third party auto warranty small print which requires total failure of the component, i.e. if it's leaking, squeaking, rattling, then it's still working and no warranty repair is deemed necessary).

This is not so much a guarantee but an insurance policy. Double checking on Miele's site I see that Miele don't describe it as a guarantee, but as "10 year parts and labour cover".

We need to hear from people who have direct experience of claiming on this cover to be sure, but things that aren't likely be covered are things that don't prevent it being used, such as cosmetic damage. However, theoretically they could try to argue that a squeaking noise doesn't, "stop the equipment working properly" although a counter argument would be that (as uumode said) a properly working washing machine shouldn't make noises it wasn't meant to make. It would be very hard for them to argue your washing machine is working properly if it's leaking.

I sent my paperwork shortly after the machine was delivered and within 2 weeks I had my policy document. I sent it with a first class stamp, but fully intended to chase it up had I not heard anything within a month. This was still time to re-submit the paperwork prior to the cut off date.

I once bought a dishwasher with my Barclaycard, at the time they offered free extended warranties (they no longer do) after the manufacturer's warranty expired. A month or so beyond the 12 month period, the display broke! (Do they design them to fail like this?) I called the BC warranty number and they came out very quickly, diagnosed the fault, ordered the part and came back a few days later to replace it. I believe the policy was underwritten by D&G too. So hopefully this is how any future problem with my washing machine will be handled. (Touch wood, I don't have to test it though.)