John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Bosch WFT2800

Clocknut46

• Members

Hi all I know its an old machine but well made! I am getting Error 3 and the Anti Crease is flashing, so far I have checked the plastic chamber at the bottom of the drum that goes to the pressure switch, also I have changed the main control board, checked the water valves, what seems to be happening there is no water entering the machine for the first rinse so the softener is left in the draw. I cam switch it to final rinse and that is fine! the pump runs not very smooth a bit jerky should they be like this?

Any help will be appreciated before both me and the machine go to the scrap yard!!   Thanks John.

• Root Admin

Hi John. It’s too late now but never change a pcb on an appliance unless you know it’s faulty. At least 90 % of faults that people think are the pcb are something else. 

The fabric softener should normally go into the machine on the last rinse. Otherwise subsequent rinses will rinse it out. If water only goes in on the last rinse could that be the fabric softener valve working ok and the normal rinse valve isn’t working?

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Members

Hi Andy thank you for replying,

The old board I repaired twice the usual dry joints on the relays, the PCB was a second hand one so not the silly £300+ only £13 so worth a try the machine it came out of the bearings had gone (a simple job to change done mine twice), the syphon is ok on the tray, the water isn't going in on the first rinse is that the same vale used for the fill? they all seem to do something the yellow one is a bit low pressure if I stick 240v on it! I am 71 a retired electronics engineer and don't like being beat lol!!  Thanks again  John.

• Root Admin

That’s good that you didn’t spend a fortune on a pcb :)

Most washing machines have a double cold water valve. One side is for the main wash and rinses and the other is for the fabric softener. As the fabric softener’s solenoid is only activated once per cycle and the other multiple times sometimes the main solenoid fails. If wires are long enough you could try swapping the wires over to see if the rinse water comes in. 

Alternatively test the solenoids with at least one wire disconnected with a continuity test meter. They should all have the same resistance. It’s very high resistance though. 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Members

Hi Andy I took the valve block off connected it to the water supply hose then applied 240v to the two valves which are on the left and both fed from the main water supply the front one the water gushed out into a bowl and the second the yellow one was very low pressure, I swapped the coils over and the result was the same! so should the Yellow one be full pressure? I think the other two valves are for the drier or am I talking a load of rubbish?   Thanks  John.

• Root Admin

There is one valve that should only produce a trickle of water, although the restriction in pressure is often achieved at the point where its hose connects to the plastic condenser chamber. It’s possible there is a strong flow restricted in the valve. This is the water supply for the drier section. It should be easy to work out which solenoid supplies the drier’s condenser chamber. 

Any other solenoids should supply full water pressure to the soap dispenser. One usually supplies the fabric softener as described in my previous reply. If by any chance there are two more they must be for the main fill and rinses and a pre-wash valve. 

It’s possible that the valve is faulty inside or bunged up with something. It may need the whole solenoid assembly replacing. 

If you swapped over the wires and the last rinse still takes in water that seems to confirm it’s not a problem with power being sent to the valve. 

• Members

Hi Andy I will try somehow to swap the valves over the two on the right seem to be for the drier one has restricted flow!

I will report back ;-) thanks again  John

• Members

Hi Andy swapped the valves over all runs through ok ;) I think during the final rinse both valves open to flood the tray to take the Softener? so now to find a 4 way valve that doesn't cost an arm or a leg! 

Thanks for the help Andy.

Kind Regards,

John.