John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Miele W1712 Door Seal Squeaking

Threepwood

• Members

My W1712 door seal appears to be rubbing on the inner wash drum and making a load squeaking sound when rotating. It seems to occur at slower speeds or when the machine is on a cold cycle.

I have had the seal out and inspected it. It appears intact. I have checked that it is seating properly. 

I have checked the drum for bearing play and warping.

The seal seems ever so slightly tight when seating it on the outer drum, is it possible the seal has shrunk slightly for some reason? And that on the hotter part of a cycle, it is more supple and hence does not rub? This is the only thing i can think of.

• Members

It actually has nothing to do with temperature or speed - as long as water is in the machine, its lubricating between the drum and seal, and there is no noise. When it has drained most of the water during a spin it starts to make the noise because of a lack of lubrication. Still no idea why this is.

• Root Admin

Hi. It sounds very much like the drum lip is catching on the door seal. I've seen it happen a lot on brand new washing machines, or sometimes after a new door seal was fitted where it caught when running dry but as soon as water got into the drum it stopped. Normally I wouldn't be concerned if the noise disappears on wash as long as it doesn't come back on spin. If the drum catches the door seal during spin it can create a lot of friction and damage the seal.

If it's just started doing it out of the blue that's unusual. Often when this happens you can observe a slight wobble on the drum lip. If you slowly turn the drum and observe the roundness of the drum lip it might be slightly off centre. Few drums are perfectly round but they can get a knock and go more out of shape if some obstruction like  a coin gets inside at one time. Another possibility is the gap between the back of the door seal and the drum lip may have always been very small and as the seal has got older it's given a bit and catching at one point. If you can identify a single point where the drum rubs on the seal you may be able to carefully trim the the rubber there if it's only a fraction.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.