John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Hotpoint HVl211 Washing Machine Won't Start Any Cycle

pahqman

• Members

Hello all and thanks for any help in advance!

So the Hotpoint HVL211 front loading washing machine in the house I rent broke down at the beginning of a 30 degree wash about 2 weeks ago.

I think it had filled with water for the first wash and then basically stopped. Unsurprisingly I wasn't 100% paying attention at the time.

I did some digging and the first bit of troubleshooting advised to check the filter for the pump. This was jammed to where I couldn't unscrew said filter so I assumed this was the cause. After a long and slow draining process, I took the entire pump off and removed an object from the housing (one of those floss/toothpick sticks that must have been there years as I don't use them).

Re-hooked up the pump and tried starting the machine. No dice.

Did some further digging and found there could be a blockage in the sump hose. Removed this and found nothing. Reconnected and tried starting the machine. Nothing.

Did even more digging and found it could be the carbon brushes. Removed these and they seem fine. Plenty of material left and no damage to the motor contacts. Reconnected and tried starting the machine. Still nothing.

No issue with the belt, all parts have been reconnected correctly, the drum spins freely by hand, the pump spins by hand without issue...

The controls appear to work just fine as the indicator lights cycle through options and indicate OK.

The door locks when selecting and starting a cycle but then nothing happens. I think I heard 
a 'tick' a couple of times but that could be my mind playing tricks on me. No filling for wash trials nor drum spinning for spin cycle trials.

It's a pride thing at this point and I've gone through everything I can find and still don't know what's up...

Does anyone have any further suggestions maybe based on when it died (start of wash cycle post at least partial filling) or is there some kind of factory reset I can try if it's a programmatic issue?

Again, thanks as this is massively driving me crazy!

• Root Admin

Hello. From your description of the fault the pump (or a blockage)  shouldn't cause those symptoms. Those faults would leave the washing machine working ok apart from not being able to empty the water. The carbon brushes would normally only stop the drum from revolving but everything else would work. However, on some Indesit and Hotpoint washing machines if the motor goes open circuit it can cause all the lights to work but the machine to go dead.

Carbon brushes are the most common cause of an open circuit motor but the filed coil could still cause an open circuit motor. Other than that it's a fault that's very difficult to diagnose.  

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.