John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

I have a Hotpoint Aquarius WMA56 which has occasionally caused holes in clothes, mainly t-shirts or other thin clothes. Recently, however, it's appetite has grown and it is eating socks. I couldn't work out how this was happening but now I have just completed a wash and a sock was caught behind the door seal and caught on the outside of the drum. Is this a known fault with this model and is there a cure? The machine is I believe 2-3 years old. :angry:

Some older Hotpoint washing dryers were renowned for ripping laundry and they were featured on BBC's Watchdog. But that was a long time ago - at least 10 years ago. All washing machines have the potential to swallow small items of laundry and such items should ideally be placed in those net bags that you can buy from Betterware and many other places.

Overloading the washing machine is blamed (by manufacturers) for many damaged clothes - especially if caused by being dragged round the back of the door seal by the revolving drum ( Am I overloading my washing machine? ) Washer dryers are more likely to rip clothes because they have a vent at the top of the door seal where the hot air is pumped into the drum on tumble dry and clothes can get snagged on it. Items of laundry are more likely to get trapped between the drum and the door seal if the drum is overloaded. If you aren't using a laundry bag, put smaller items in the drum first, they are more likely to stay away from the door seal and glass that way.

It's also possible for an obstruction such as an underwire from a bra to get trapped under the drum on the heating element. This can cause laundry to snag on spin as it is pressed through the holes in the drum.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• 6 years later...

Holes in clothes is a big problem these days, I have very small round holes in some of my clothes but then my wife always puts everything on the same 40 degree cottons wash with full 14 spin even though the wash labels on the affected clothes state different wash instructions. This article covers the problem in great detail - Holes in clothes

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.