John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Samsung Triflow SW65AP2 Top Loader doesn't complete rinse cycle

• Members

Greetings,

My once trusty Samsung Triflow SW65AP2 Top Loader (>15yo)  is causing me conniptions at the moment.  The latter part of the rinse cycle just results in the washing machine draining out the incoming cold general service water, then after 1 hour the error code 7E appears which translates to "no water supply", which is correct because the incoming water is being drained out.

There are no overfilling, leaks and all hoses looks well sealed.  This washer does come with the option where you can hook up a drain hose at the base so the water can be pumped out - this is not in use and the current drain hose output is about the same height as the washing machine.  The washing machine agitates, spins correctly, draws water (cold or hot) in ok, drains ok too (except it is doing it during the wrong time when it is filling for rinse).

Unlike a traditional rotating dial operated washing machine, this one doesn't allow you to advance part way through a cycle (i.e. you can choose a full Wash, Rinse, Spin), which used to basically a operate sequence wheel that would engage various switches/relays, but a computerised washer basically does the same thing.  So perhaps it just a matter of cleaning dirty contacts. I do have a multi-meter to do some basic troubleshooting, but I am not sure what to look for in identifying the part as faulty.  Any ideas (hopefully I haven't been too vague, not my field as you may have guessed)?

Regards,

kwyjibo

• Root Admin

Hello. Check everything in this article as your washing machine appears to be filling and emptying at the same time

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Members

Thanks for the very quick reply Andy (what a great website!!!).

I did have a look through that FAQ beforehand it to be honest it was so good that I was actually surprised to find my issue not there.

My take from the FAQ is as follows..

* The water could be siphoning down the drain due to an issue with the plumbing - Plumbing is fine as it can drain the soapy water ok.

* The washing machine could be overfilling - Definitely not overfilling

* Or the wash cycle could be aborting because it’s detected an overheating fault - If there is an overheating fault it is definitely not evident.

* Water is being pumped out - No pump in action at the time. Just drip feeding water and draining out.

* Siphoning water "Siphoning occurs when the end of the drain hose is lower than the level of the water inside the washing machine." - Drain hose is higher than water level inside washing machine

I could be very much mistaken in my interpretation, as my suspicion is that the previous part of the rinse sequence requires the drain to be opened, but the washer fails to close the drain.

[Edit]: * Water is being pumped out - There is a very minor pump sound happening whilst drip feeding water in.  The pump is operating ok as it can pump out fine during the spin cycle.

Edited by kwyjibo
Correction on water pump

• Root Admin

Thanks. My article is aimed at front loading washing machines. I rarely worked on top loaders as they aren't so common in the UK. However if it's a fully automatic top loader it shouldn't work fundamentally differently. The "no water supply" error would be triggered if water was siphoning out because it would never reach the correct level due to it losing it as it fills. However, to be siphoning the drain hose would need to be too low at some point. If it pushes into a standpipe that's as high as the washer it can't siphon. Unless the end of the drain hose is shoved too far down the standpipe. 

To test if the water is siphoning out or being pumped out when it next gets stuck filling with water but the water is simultaneously being drained out lift the drain hose out of the standpipe. Lift it so the end it out of the standpipe and any water would still run into the standpipe. If water is running out but stops when you lift it out - it's siphoning. If water continues to run out it must be pumping it out. 

If by any chance the drain hose is not pushed into a standpipe and is fixed to a pipe I would try to disconnect it from the pipe and hold it over the sink.

• Like 1

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Members

Act 2, Scene 1.

Ok, we have had a plot twist.

* When I do a cold wash, the inlet flow rate is bad resulting in the 1 hour (error code: 7E timeout) and it turns out that there is NOTHING being drained.  It is just that slow to fill that I assumed that it draining out at the same time.

* A warm was fills very quickly and only struggles when it advances to the cold rinse, where it takes forever.

This is starting to make more sense now, which is good. :)

If I turn on the adjacent tap, the flow rate is the same for hot and cold water, so the problem is not related to mains pressure.

I inspected the gauze on the cold water pipe at the top back of the washing machine and I did notice that there was a lot of grimy crud which cleaned out using a piece of tissue paper on the end of a gently brushed screwdriver.

I'll update this thread if that fixes it.

• Like 1

• Members

Ok cleaning the gauze did not fix the issue.

I swapped the hot and cold pipe around to rule out that the lack of flow was from an inlet hose kink or blockage, and the slow cold inflow continued.

The washing machine will advance to it's next phase if I top up the washing machine with water (blessed are the top loaders ;)).

I did see in your DIY that cleaning a "pressure chamber" may be required.  If there is one on my washing machine, it's not very visible.

• Root Admin

A blockage in the pressure chamber wouldn't cause a washing machine to fill slowly. It would only cause it to over-fill or not fill at all. If the water is running in very slowly or hardly at all the first suspect is the water supply. It looks like you've eliminated that by noticing the hot water fills OK and swapping the hot and cold fill hoses around made no difference. After that it's a blocked filter in the water valve. It sounds like you've eliminated that too.  That only leaves a faulty cold fill valve really.

• Like 1

• Members

ok, I just this afternoon got a chance a look at this, and yes, it was the cold fill water valve.  The washer had disintegrated, so I bought a replacement down the street and it worked perfectly.

Thanks a billion, you're a star!

• Like 1

• Root Admin

Excellent. Thanks for the update.