John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Whirpool AWZ 412 trips, sparks, then 'dies'

runcyclexcski

• Members

I have a Whirpool AWZ 412 front-loading washer which 3 days ago has tripped the switch board (I wasn't there when this 1st happened). I came from work, found the wet clothing wet inside, and re-started it again. It tripped after filling, but (I believe) before tumbling -- there was a bright spark, and the thing was left locked and filled with water. Removed the cover and looked underneath -- there was a bit of black dusting on the motor wires, but not clear if this is the charring or worn belt dust, i.e. no obvious suspects. I then tried to watch it trip in real-time, to see where the spark would come from, but now it won't do anything: no filling, and no relays switching, except for locking the door and showing the Active LED. 

I've previously replaced the drain pump, it worked fine for a few months with the new pump. Also, found a broken thermostat connector which I soldered back together and tested. Don't think it's the thermostat though, as we never use the drying function. Another odd thing (but could be irrelevant) is this loose red wire next to the water pressure sensor. It's not properly terminated, but does not appear charred either (pic)

226.jpg

Edited by runcyclexcski
additional pic

• Root Admin

Fusing or tripping the electrics needs an insulation test meter to trace. A big flash is often caused by the motor but not necessarily. Could the red wire be off the pressure switch? It could be a double tag like one already on?

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Members

Thank you for your response. I did check the red double tag plastic housing, it does not seem to have the remainder of the 'cut' wire.

Would the pressure sensor prevent the thing from starting to fill?

My theory now is that the motor caused the surge and then fried the PCB, which is why it now would not start doing anything at all (except for locking the door). The main fuse in the plug is fine. As the motor costs 120 (!), I am not sure if this is worth repairing. The pump I replaced before was 14 quid, and the problem was easy to identify. Here, I am not sure if replacing the motor would solve it at all. This is a rental flat, so... not worth it?

• Root Admin

I would say it's not worth pursuing. The expense of the parts in question plus the uncertainty on a budget washing machine is just not worth it.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.