John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

• Members

Hello Everyone

As I had mentioned in my earlier post that my washing machine had stopped working midway and started flashing enhance and on/off lights. I somehow managed to fix that by heating up all the soldering points on the main board and tapping all the relay switches. I am now faced with another problem while plugging all the wires into  the heating element. I have no idea what that (see picture 1) interlocked connector called but it has separated (see picture 2) and wont interlock anymore. I tried welding it but solder comes off it. 

Does anyone know where can i find that wiring or how do i fix that problem?

Thank you

IMG-20160703-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20160703-WA0012.jpg

• Root Admin

I'm not completely sure what your problem is from your description and photos but one of the earth wires is fitted with what is called a piggyback connector so that the second earth wire can also connect to it joining them together. The earth wires can then connect to the Earth connector on the heating element.

If by any chance the piggyback connector is broken it would need retagging with another, they can be bought from places like Tandy I think but they usually require special tools to properly connect them. If you just mean that the earth wires don't fit tightly and are concerned they might come off there's a little springy bit in the centre of the connector that can be gently pushed in so that it latches onto the small hole in the male tag on the heating element connection.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Members

Hello Andy

Thanks for the reply.

Yes the piggyback connector is broken.I have somehow managed to connect both the wires in the heating element for now but worried if it might come off. I did not try to latch it on to the springy bit in the centre of the connector. Are there any videos which could help? 

Thank you

• Root Admin

The second picture doesn't seem to show it broken, only bent with the second earth not pushed on, but you need to ensure both earth wires are connected and that they can't easily be pulled off. If the earth wire(s) work loose the machine could be dangerous. The connectors have the small spring-like tab in the centre and the small hole on the male connector so that when pushed onto the element they snap on and can't be pulled off without first releasing the clip to ensure they don't work loose and fall off. If the tag is broken you need to replace it with a new piggyback connector.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.