Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Sign in to follow this  
1979ak

Random Red Spots On Clothes

Hi All,

When I wash my clothes in my washing maching, there are sometimes some red marks (looks a bit like dried blood) but more likely to be rust I guess, left on some of the lighter clothing. These marks are not easy to remove - and I seem to be writing off a lot of light shirts and t-shirts. Has anyone seen this problem before, and if so what is the best way of curing it.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Kind regards,

Akkers

Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Guest Guest

I just discovered the same issue and my Kenmore machine is only 16 months old. There are small chips in the finish of the washing machine drum leaving raw metal underneath - it has rusted. This is where the rust marks are coming from.

The cost to replace - $250 for the drum and another $250 for the labour cost.

The machine was $500 when I purchased it - so certainly not paying that price for a new drum.

I am SO unimpressed with Sears and Kenmore right now.

I have spoken with people today - and did a lot of research online - the best fix (and much cheaper) is to purchase an Enamel repair kit (like you use on sinks and bathtubs) and apply to the rusty spots.

That will be my job this weekend!

Shelley

Ontario Canada

Try this section Washing (laundry) is still dirty or has marks on it after washing . It may or may not be the actual cause of your problem, but there is a section on colour damage due to copper in the water, which can produce red marks, on the "fabric stains / spots menu.

Also check this out - rust coloured marks on washing

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your Spares (4Washerhelp)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

I just discovered the same issue and my Kenmore machine is only 16 months old. There are small chips in the finish of the washing machine drum leaving raw metal underneath - it has rusted. This is where the rust marks are coming from.

Shelley

Ontario Canada

In the UK, I don't know of any washing machine that uses enamal any more because of this exact same problem. All drums are stainless steel and tubs are plastic or stainless.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your Spares (4Washerhelp)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

In the US we have a product called iron out. I put it in the water before putting my whites in and it prevents the rust spots. Yes you wash the clothes in the iron out. It is only needed for whites because dyed clothes do not receive the rust stain and iron out would ruin them anyway.

I'm not so sure about the rusty washer drum theory though. My theory is that it is the hard water deposits on the edges of the drum holes that are actually rusting, not the drum itself. When the washer spins it presses the clothes into those holes and exposes them to the rusting hard water deposits.