Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

I have a neff 6544 with no machine number on any labels. I like to soak my washing for an hour, not using the prewash because that throws away the powder added to the soak.

As it is at least 10 years old I no longer have the manual. Neff do not have one in their customer support department.

My concern is the best place in the cycle of say 95/60 or 60 (on the right of the attached) to turn the power off and leave the clothes soaking for an hour. What I have discovered is that the soap is washed into the drum at the beginning of the wash, but the drum only builds up with water after the spray sympol on the dial.

I am also wondering if the soap should be fed in after the spray point, because the water appears to be drained off at the spray point.

Robin

post-3454-0-12314800-1435671965_thumb.jp

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Hello. The spray point you mention must be the rinses symbol. It's normal for more water to be used on rinses, but adding detergent on rinses would of course prevent the laundry being rinsed properly. I'm presuming you have extremely dirty laundry to need to soak them? The washing machine should be designed to wash laundry properly without any extra actions from a user. If it isn't washing them properly there could be something wrong. Check out my article here to make sure none of the causes of washing machine not cleaning clothes properly are applicable.

If you just want to let laundry soak and have your reasons I would stop it about 20 minutes in on the hot washes. That way the wash water should be warm to hot and the detergent will have had time to soak into the laundry.

Just make sure you are putting detergent in the right side too. If you put it in the wrong side it will only go in on the first rinse and laundry will not be cleaned properly.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Hello. The spray point you mention must be the rinses symbol.

Is the rinses symbol the first symbol that looks like a shower head?

It's normal for more water to be used on rinses, but adding detergent on rinses would of course prevent the laundry being rinsed properly. I'm presuming you have extremely dirty laundry to need to soak them? The washing machine should be designed to wash laundry properly without any extra actions from a user. If it isn't washing them properly there could be something wrong. Check out my article here to make sure none of the causes of washing machine not cleaning clothes properly are applicable.

Do the hot washes start at the shower head symbol?

If you just want to let laundry soak and have your reasons I would stop it about 20 minutes in on the hot washes. That way the wash water should be warm to hot and the detergent will have had time to soak into the laundry.

I have found I get a cleaner whiter wash if I soak the washing in an oxygen powder, but to do that outside the machine can lead to water splashing everywhere. So I would prefer to have the soak down in the washing machine as part of the main wash program. The recommended time for a soak is 60mins. There is a problem which I hinted at in my question. There is no point waiting for the hot washes because the soaking powder would be evacuated by then, but i can not do it earier because there is not enough water in the drum.

Just make sure you are putting detergent in the right side too. If you put it in the wrong side it will only go in on the first rinse and laundry will not be cleaned properly.

As I do not have a manual I do not know which is the correct section of the tray for the soap. The tray has 3 sections. Left narrow, middle bigger, right very narrow with a grid set into it.

Robin