John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

A Gummed Up Miele Novotronic 919

geordief

• Members

The water supply is no doubt very much to blame .Even though cleaned the filter at the inlet the gunge has got across , causing the lights to flash and the cycle to abort before the main wash.

I got around this by manually filling the detergent compartment with a litre or so of water from the tap but the problem has got worse to the point that I am not sure if I can nurse it any more.

I took out the soap drawer for a closer inspection and saw the gunge (like something out of Alien) seeping from the series of holes above the detergent.

Can I take my machine apart and clean all this gunge from the inside or is that going to be a thankless and pointless task?

Is the "waterproof system" in the inlet hose going to need replacing no matter what?

http://www.miele.co.uk/Resources/OperatingInstructions/W%20919.pdf

What does not "waterproof system" do anyway ? It doesn't send signals to the machine surely....

I would probably be capable of opening up the machine but am wary of wasting my time and I worry now that the machine may not be worth the cost of a repair from a Miele technician.

I have had this machine for many years so it may not owe me anything but I would find it hard to find the money to to replace it.

• Root Admin

Hello and welcome. I can't work out from your description exactly what type of gunge it is but I'm having a guess at a black gunge? Check this article out which covers Blackjelly-like substance in soap dispenser and on soap drawer. If it's something else please let me know.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Members

thanks.

Yes I had looked at that article already.

The gunge is similar but I think the problem may be compounded by the fact that the water supply can be very dirty as well .

I have tried using a tooth brush on the blocked nozzles but it was not really sturdy enough to do a great job so I will have to buy a new one .

Is it realistic to clean the actual soap dispensor casing by opening up the top of the machine ? (I have read your warnings about turning off at the mains , keeping the machine upright and avoiding water getting anywhere near the electrical or electronic parts of the machine) -or would you really have to buy and install a new casing to achieve that.?

I do have an extra worry though because I more or less sat through an entire cycle this morning (well I had to anyway because I had to feed the rinse cycles with little top ups )

I would do the "top ups" with a slow addition of water from a litre jug of water as soon as I saw the red light coming on (just enough to compensate for the slow supply of water into the dispensor).

Anyway I noticed that at the start of some (not all) of the rinses that not only was the drum motionless but also no(absolutely zero) water was coming into the soap dispensor.

That leads me to suspect there may be an additional ,unconnected problem with the programming side of the machine.

Is that what you might suspect.?

I mean ,how could the machine just sit there with no activity for 3 or 4 minutes ?

Sure enough the clock went into reverse and the cycle soon jumped to the end .

I will of course try to clean and unblock the dispensor area and hope that that solves the problem .

Can I let you know how I get on when I have got that part sorted?

• Members

I have cleaned the "nozzles" on the "ceiling" of the soap dispensor area as best I can (basically by poking a wire into each one of the little holes when the water is running so as to see an improvement in flow.

The red light still comes on (sometimes it goes out again and the machine goes to the end of the cycle "unaided" ) .

Would it be a huge job for me to open the top of the machine and take out the whole area so as to give it a better clean ?(I suspect there may be some blockage "up in the loft" that I cannot fully remove from underneath)

Or can I put some kind of strong "cleaning product" into the inlet hose to dislodge anything sitting in that inaccessible space?

• Root Admin

You could always have a look. This issue could be caused by water pressure that is too low. If the water pressure isn't high enough it can allow water to slowly seep in and drip into the soap dispenser. This trip could be very slow but it can mean there is constant damp there which can cause it to all gunge up. If you think you may have low water pressure try and make sure the tap is turned on full although if you have low water pressure to the house there may be little that can be done.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Members

Ok I will try that. After so much experience with the machine I am confident that low water pressure is at least part of the problem .

I have an outside tank on the roof of the house that is sometimes higher than at other times(on account of a combination of the rain off the roof and the mains being intentionally closed some of the days)

So the water pressure is sometimes lower but I have noticed lately that a full head of water in the outside tank is no longer enough to cure the "red light" problem (which lead me to discover the gumming up in the soap dispenser itself)

By the way , can that Miele "waterproof system" also be reducing the water pressure? (is it susceptible to getting chronically blocked if the water is dirty?)

Maybe if I replaced it with an ordinary hose it might perk things up (I have no actual need for any "waterproof system" since there is nothing near or below the machine that I need to protect from flooding.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Root Admin
The only thing that could get blocked inside the fill hose is the filter. There is always a filter which is quite fine inside either end of the fill hose or sometimes both. Also there is a filter in the water valve. If you're concerned about the quality of water getting into the washing machine take off the hose from both ends of the machine and the tap to check that the filters are clean. Then check the filter inside the water valve's. Be careful with these filters though as they are very brittle and easily broken, if you put even a small hole in one of them they will be compromised.

If you haven't seen it already you might find my article here very interesting - low water pressure and washing machines.