John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Hotpoint Wm63 - Finally Dead After All These Loyal Years?

Hi, just a quick query or rather confirmation I think. I have had this trusty machine now for almost 16 years and whilst it has broken down now and again, it has always been worth fixing. Put a load on today and it just stop mid cycle. After clicking the rotary control on manually one click at a time, it does nothing. So clicked it all the way to finish. Took clothes out. Started new cycle withing nothing in and just clicks all the time trying to find something, rotary control does not move at all. Took lid off and listened to where the clicking was coming from and it appears to be around the printed circuit board/back of the on/off switch.

I am guessing that the circuit board has gone?

Given the age of the old guy, are circuits boards like hens teeth?

As ever, extremely grateful for any replies.

Regards

Neil

Hi Neil, if the drum isn't turning it could be the carbon brushes worn out (carbon brushes diagnostics) but that's an old machine to keep going. Definitely don;t attempt to replace the timer or pcb, way too expensive a gamble and they are probably obsolete anyway.

• Like 1

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

I have the wm62 still working and it got to the same stage as yours just over a year ago. This machine is as old as my Son (20). I changed the carbon brushes about 2 times per year and just paid for a new motor in the end. It did cost £100 and believe me it still runs like a dream.

• Like 1

Right, I have taken out the brushes and they do indeed look warn (he says optimistically), so will try new ones (Edd can you confirm where you bought yours from if it was online please) and will give the girl another try, the washing machine definitely deserves it. Would like to enter into an informal competition with Edd to see who's WM lasts the longest.....only for pub bragging rights you understand.

ON the internet there seem a wide variety of parts and prices and maybe quality, can these parts be bought from yourself Andy and is this the correct part below (it looks it)

Regards Neil

• Like 1

Yes both those links go to the white Hotpoint carbon brushes for that model and hundreds of other Hotpoint and Creda motors. if brushes look like the photo they are the right ones as they never made any similar brushes that could get confused. The ones in the link are the genuine brushes, cheaper ones are available but I never used them because they were way too soft and wore out rapidly causing excessive carbon brush dust build up which often shorted the motor out.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.