Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

sontafix

Problem With Beko Machine Not Draining(And In Process Of Me Fiddling With It Broke Lock)

I moved to a flat in summer, the washing machine only spun and drained if it was a light load i.e if I washed t shirts and tracksuit bottoms and maybe some kitchen towels it was fine, if I did jeans or more than 1 heavy towel or bedsheets it simply didnt drain.

I sorted it that time by opening the drain pump filter and loads of pebbles came out and a babies sock(which is a mystery as its about 40 miles to nearest beach) and it worked fine until about 3 weeks ago when the problem came back

I have to manually open the filter on the pump which floods the entire kitchen so badly I have to do it little by little so it takes a hour to mop up, after the 2nd time of using it I decided to move washing machine out from wall, stretch the pipe in case it didnt have enough slack, pour some bleach into where the tube goes into pipe under sink, spray a little WD40 into pump and it worked, I even tried a little bit of thin cardboard and pushed it into the pump where the filter would go to see if it was working and it was.

Anyway after putting the filter back on and front panel I pushed it back to place, didnt use it for 2 weeks as was away at relatives for Christmas did my first wash tonight, and the machine didnt drain again.

I did screw up a little this time though, I didnt want to mop up for a hour as usual so I used a knife to lift the little piece of plastic that clips into the lock to hold door in but ended up breaking it, I then used a mug to get the water out of drum and lifted up washing machine and put a bucket under it and used a large bucket to get the rest(should of just done that in first place.

So to dry my washing tonight I would have to hold the door for about 10 minutes whilst it drains and I can buy the replacement clip online(but no idea how to change it though not bad at electronics) but even if I fix the lock what is the problem with the pump? If its getting power but water isnt draining is it the hose or some blockage actually inside the pump itself? Before I went away which was before I last checked pipes I left filter open to see if it was blocked though with damp clothes and the water went straight through so that would suggest either no blockage or the blockage was minor enough to let some water through(but not a full load)

Going back to the washing machines behaviour, what happens is it starts to spin and you see water disapearing down the front of the door, but after about 10-30 seconds it just comes back up again which suggests a blockage to me, after spinning for about 2 or 3 minutes and clicking loads of times it stops, if I manually drain the water the machine spins at normal speed.

Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Hi, I have a lot of advice on washing machine's not draining at all or fast enough which can all be seen on this article and other related articles linked to from this page - washing Machine Won’t Drain Water

There really is very comprehensive advice available covering every possible fault and anomalies I could think of so it's a matter of trying to read it and the linked articles when in the mood rather than quickly scanning and missing vital advice :)

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your Spares (4Washerhelp)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Had a look at that and so many variables! I will note however I use the type of powder meant for schools and hotels(so it says on plain white label) so wonder if its junk gunk in pipe.

I did try a wash with just some thin bleach and a little vinegar the other day and it still didnt drain so had to manually scoop the water from the drum, none drained at all from drum to pipe so hints at some blockage further up, if zero water gets to pump.

I did a normal wash today and it didnt drain as usual so I scooped up almost all the water from drum leaving the wet clothes in and mugful or so of water, I heard this drain normally! I do not know if this means as its just a little water its getting pumped out fine due to pressure or the pump is faulty as the entire time the machine was spinning there was a whirring sound from pump and when I opened filter I found no water.

If there is a ball inside the sump hose make sure it isn't sticky and sticking at the tub opening which can stop water getting to the pump.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

After spending over a hour blowing into pipe, pouring boiling water down pipe and blowing again, then vinegar each of which got crumbs of dirt out I tried it on a quick wash with no clothes in, it did a full cycle wheras normally it stopped when it got to the spin part. I did check the filter afterwards and only a small amount of water came out i.e about a cups worth.

However I tried it again today on a full wash though dont know if I overfilled it, I put a towel in, a sleeping bag and dressing gown and a few pairs of underwear and it stopped at its normal part, I got rid of almost all the water in the drum, squeezed water out of the underwear and most of it from towel, left the dressing gown on sideboard and it still didnt drain.

What I notice this time though is now drum is draining a lot more water and its just stuck in filter now, not sure if I just overfilled the machine so the water didnt drain so not sure if I try and empty load again and it drains what the issue can be.

Also of note is that a month ago when I first started having problems I took machine out from front then too and poured some bleach into the hose and a little in pipe and it worked once, so seems to be a pattern of each time I put cleaning products into hose and pipe the machine then works once then again which goes back to the blockage theory.

There is also a minor hum quite a lot of time and when the filter is empty and I go to drain or spin it sounds loud which I am not sure is just because the hose is empty and needs lubricated as after some water gets into it sounds normal for a bit then at end of spin cycle for a minute or so it has a very loud humm.

EDIT also forgot which may be relevant is what is happening when it gets to the spin part when it doesnt drain it clicks as if its trying to start a program then does this for about 2 or 3 minutes before just moving to the end bit so it may be a electronic error.

I tried again today and same issue so have turned it on its side to remove pump, I think this is best thing to do as worst comes to worst I can just call repair guy.

Also notice trickles of water behind machine so not sure if thats right but I assume so.

If a washing machine isn't draining the water properly but it drains some of it then the chances are there's a partial or intermittent blockage somewhere. The article I first linked to explains in great detail how to troubleshoot a pump problem. If you just scan the article looking for something to jump out ( that's what most people including me do :) ) you will miss vital information. If you include the other related articles I link to at the bottom there is everything I could possibly think of to advise using 30 years experience and working on them for several hours. I'm pretty confident that if you print the articles out and just laboriously go through them line by line and paragraph by paragraph you should be able to solve it or if not you definitely need an engineer.

Only blockage I found was the hose that goes from pump out to sink has 2 connections one tiny one normal and the smaller one was blocked with grit but the main water hose was ok, Dont know if that is problem.

Now its just a awkward case of reattaching hoses, might take 10 minutes might take 2 hours.

• Like 1

What a nightmare I had getting the connection to the hose under the drum, the one that has a tube come round by the door, and the other end pops onto the pump

What I had to do in end was remove it completely from the unit but even then had a issue, because what I was doing was trying to get the hose on at same time as clamping the clips and pulling them over, I found a quite good way by using my thumb as force but that wasnt perfect and in the end I put clip over the tub e, then clamped it to loosen it so I can move it below where the hose connects, then put hose on perfect then clamped the clips and pulled them over the hose.

Shame that took me 3 hours to work out! I got the rest of the hoses in about a minute each just that one was a pain.

Edit final update of the night, I did a quick wash with the hose in a mop bucket, I heard it drain quite a few times at first then about 30 minutes into quick wash it filled up entire mop bucket in space of about a minute then minor trickles for a bit, I took hose out whilst it was doing the rest of the wash and poured the water down sink just so it didnt overflow and put hose back in the u bend under sink, Again at first I heard the water going through drain a bit for about 15 minutes but at end of cycle there was some, not a lot though water in the drum and enough to stop the spin cycle from going again.

Could it be some eletronical error? Since it seems to screw up at the spin or drain cycles almost every time, but still scratching my head as to why whenever I look at machine it works once then stops working, and theres no blockages anywhere noticable(yet a lot of grit comes out every time!

Helo sontafix. You don't give up easily :) If you put the drain hose into a bucket but the bucket is on the floor, water will just siphon out. Make sure any bucket you are testing pumping into is at least higher than the level of the water in the drum or gravity will just drain it out, and even a restricted pump flow may seem to work ok until the drain hose id lifted up to its normal height again and it's harder to force the water out.

Have you read the article linked to at the bottom of my main pump problem solving article Can’t Find a Blockage But Washing Machine Still Not Draining because it sounds like you've established that the pump is running, and you can't find a blockage but it's still not pumping out properly, and that is exactly the scenario that article is written for.

I manged to get it to drain shortly after I edited post, all I had to do was put pressure on the door as the lock was faulty after I damaged it the other week, I think it is a improvement because up till I removed pump the machine wouldnt drain even when hose was in a bucket now it does.

Was strange how there was no ball in the drum hose though despite the replacement part online showing one, I wonder if someone has attempted a bad repair before,

A problem with the door lock causes the entire machine to go dead. If the door lock is faulty then nothing should work. A faulty door lock cannot affect just the pump.

What I meant was that before the door did close even before I damaged lock but there was always a little gap at top and bottom though very tiny, it drains when the door is closed with gentle pressure that covers those 2 small gaps.

Tried again tonight, and back to the old problem of not draining, this time I scooped all the water from the drum and hand wrung out small items like underwear and put that back in (and nothing else) and it still didnt go onto fast spin.

What I seem to notice is it slow spins fine but when it changes to fast spin I just hear the dial clicking as if its trying to lock in and then it stops after a few attemps, not sure if its a electronic issue or still related to the door in some way as each pipe is clear, pump is working etc.

I notice when I push the drum back a little water seems to fill up the drum i,e I got all the water out of the drum by scooping it out and last bits with a mop, as soon as I pushed drum it filled up a little)

Also interesting is I put back in the wet items and the pump worked fine for the water in the clothes just not in the drum or pump.

Hi sontafix, this is a front loading machine isn't it? Unfortunately your description of faults is a little confusing. Eg. slow spin is still a spin, if it goes into a slow spin, only an out of balanced load is likely to prevent a faster spin. I'm assuming you meant the distribution speed prior to spin. You can't get all the water out by scooping out of the drum and using a mop because there is always water in the lower part of the tub and inside the sump hose, however, you should be able to get enough out to let it spin.

You are also experiencing and reporting what seems to be two totally different faults now. Mostly it's been not pumping out the water, (which will prevent a spin) and all my advice so far has been based on a washing machine that will not pump any water out at all or pumps it out very slowly due to a blockage somewhere. But now you are reporting that when the water has been manually drained it still won't spin.

Clicking and stopping at the point of kicking into a fast spin when the water has successfully drained is usually caused by a blocked pressure system but this fault has nothing to do with the pump not emptying water. Here's a description of this sort of fault Faults on pressure system but as I said, this is totally different to the fault you'd previously reported.

Well it spins every time when I manually empty machine (though has a very loud hum like an extractor fan sort of sound) but normally either it doesnt drain from the drum at all or it drains some which gets stuck in the hose under drum(i assume thats all it can handle until the hose is ful) after scooping out all water in drum it wont spin still(as water is still in pump) except at random.

I did notice when removing the hoses last week that the tiny hose which looks like the pressure hose was full of grit but I cleaned it, the guide says the door doesnt open right with pressure but I do remember the times it has drained was when the door was snug tight and times it doesnt its a bit looser.

Either way when I first moved in I had only that one issue that opening the filter fixed and after that nothing till recently.

What happens is if I put it on spin or drain theres a hum almost weak grinding noise (reminds me of old washing mahine when drum doesnt spin which is why I keep mentioning load sizes) then it does 4 spins that last about 30 seconds to 2 minutes total but when they attempt to even do a actual slow spin i.e speedup thats when they stop and I hear clicking.

The only hose I didnt check last week was the washing powder tray.

EDIT just noticed my water is getting cloudier over time, was almost clear when I moved in, a tiny bit chalky about a month ago now is very chalky and white looks like someone has put a parecetemol in water or something.

Right a lttie update, am trying washing machine now as finally replaced the snapped lock, before that though I have a few ideas on why it didnt drain before, my water has been a little whiter than usual recently since they knocked down some flats across the road, my electric shower has not been quite as hot recently at least on low setting i.e it used to be on low I had it about half and it was warm and slightly hot water, now at max it barely gets lukewarm and fine on high but saying that the dial doesnt get all the way before showing low pressure, and picking up the shower head and having it anywhere but above my head has low pressure(and makes the lights flicker) and my toilet takes at least 30 minutes to flush and recently more like 45 to refill.

Could I have bad water pressure in the flat? I also know my neighbour has had a few floods in last year to the point where my flat was evacuated for a few days(previous tenant) and LL just extended waste pipe to back of building to it pours into garden.

Onto the door lock now, I fitted new one but seems to be no real spring action to it, though had a similar problem with old lock just old one seemed a bit tighter, I.e no resistance, and when I push it I have to manually align the latch and even then I dont hear it click shut.

So just thought I would update, I sent back the third party pump I got that didnt work and bought a official one and now zero problems and I can actually hear the water going down drain/pipes now which even before the old pump died I never heard so I guess it was just on its last legs a long time.

The door also works as does the lock mechanism but is there a easy way to put a spring on the door as its just awkward as it is to hold the clip at correct angle and push it into the lock.

• Like 1