John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Hoover Oph 716Df Tripping Rcd When Pressure Sensor Connected

bri36475

• Members

Our Hoover oph 716 Df has ddeveloped a fault which trips the electrics as soon as it's plugged in.

I have done tests including the heater element which is 27 ohms- normal.

The motor brushes are fine as is the mains filter.

After process of elimination I suspected the control pcb, ordered a second hand one but the same fault exists!

The only component left I have not checked is the pressure sensor- when I disconnect this the machine runs perfectly on every programme until I plug the sensor connector back in then it trips again.

It would appear to be the sensor but I have not heard of anyone else with this fault?

The wiring apoears fine and nothing else obvious including the door interlock.

• Members

Well after scratching my head , I went back to my gut feeling - the element.

It is 27 ohms which is normal, however what I failed to notice was the continuity from the element terminals to earth! Explains why it was more likely to trip out when the machine was filling up. Hope this helps someone else.

• Root Admin

Thanks for the update Bri, did you read my article on washing machine tripping or fusing electrics? It highlights the heating element of one of the main suspects.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Root Admin

Thanks to your post I updated my article to advise it may be possible to detect low insulation using a normal continuity test meter. Previously I'd just advised you need a proper insulation test meter because a multimeter won't do a proper test (which involves pumping 500v DC) but if there is a direct short to earth a multimeter will pick it up.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.