on full spin it gets extreamly noisy.

no dents in drum - and doesnt sound like anything trapped

spinning the drum by hand - isnt noisy - bearings or motor

no rusty marks at back of drum - bearings

top and bottom concrete appears tight

drum not lopsided - suspension seams ok

however

very slight movement between metal drum and outer drum

also, inner drum appears off centre to front facia as you turn it - up slightly - down slightly, maybe 5mm between two

could an inner bearing cause this?

couldnt see any cracks in the spider on the back

stumped!!

• Members

If you can see the inner drum moving independent of the drum casing, then the bearings are definitely at fault and need replacing. You shouldn't be able to see any movement between the two.

Guest Notebook64

Thanks for the reply

as I said, the throw on rotation makes me believe that the isnt central through the bearings if that makes sense -

the movement independant of the casing is about 3mm if I rock it

would that be enough to prove the inner bearing has had it?

• Members

If I put one hand on the outer casing of my machine and one on the inner drum, I really can't move them separately at all, not even 1mm. If there was any movement in the shaft through the bearings, it would accelerate the wear of them because the balls/racers would be shaken around.

• Members

I changed my bearings about 5 years ago and it was a big job, but an engineer did offer to do it for £60 plus £90 for the parts. Probably much more expensive now. I did haggle that price, it was originally a much higher quote. I watched a few youtube videos and tried it myself and was successful. The thing that confused me the most was getting the nut off the pulley, it's a reverse thread, so I was always trying to tighten it lol.

• Members

I was scared, the machine was in a million bits around the kitchen. Just have a notepad and write everything down, making lots of notes about the wiring especially. I also noted the sequence I stripped the machine, then reassembly was just the reverse, making it easier.

• Root Admin

Noises are very difficult to communicate, when you say "noisy" that doesn't help much because it depends exactly on what kind of noise is being made as to how you think about diagnosing it. If drum bearings have gone you should be able to lift the inner drum up and down by a fair amount not just a millimetre or so, and there is usually rust and water marks at the back of the outer drum. When you spin the drum by hand it should feel rough, and make a rumbling noise.

When you turn the drum by hand and observe the front lip if it is out of true (slightly elliptical) the drum could be damaged due to an obstruction but it's possible the drum has always been like that as they aren't always perfectly round. It could be you only noticed it after carefully examining it.

If you could film the noise with your phone and upload it, that might help. (clicking "more options" button on reply gives attachment option. Other than that try to describe the noise.

Have you checked out all this article on noisy washing machine?

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.