John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Nextra Hnf 3157 Drum Turns About 10 Degrees Then Stops

FullClip Killer

• Members

I have just spent the last hour stripping down the waste system on my Hoover Nextra HNF 3157 machine machine as it appeared to have ripped a sock to bits a few days ago and was no longer draining.

Found many obstructions (including change) at various points in the drainage pipe from the drum which individually would not have caused the blockage but the fibres and tatters of the sock had become entangled so it was quite a messy job. This involved laying the unit down and standing it upright again about 3 times (forgot to wire the waste pump back up).

On the last movement upright there was a bit of a crack like noice and I assumed it was something under one of the legs and moved it back into place.

I ran the spin cycle and stopped it as soon as the pump kicked in, poored a couple of pints of water in to ensure the water was flowing freely and ran the spin cycle again and drainage now seems fine, but I noticed the drum was not spinning.

I put an item in to see the drum activity clearer and can see after the pump kicks in, the drum turns about 10 degrees then stops. ** edit** Actually it looks more like a nudge from the motor. ** /edit **

Removing the back showed that the belt was in good condition and the motor did in fact move then stop again immediately.

Is it possible one of the weight sensor was damaged, the motor has gone or are there any other ideas anyone could have? I do not want to start throwing money at this on the wrong parts.

Thanks in advance.

• Root Admin

First thing I'd check is the connections on the motor plug, both in the plug and the motor connection pins, make sure none are bent or push down when pressed slightly. After that I'd check the carbon brushes.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Members

Cheers Andy. Connections looked fine, will check the bushes tonight when I get home. I have seen many discussions around the drum not spinning but non mentioning this nudge I am getting when trying to start the spin which is why I did not really suspect the motor bushes themselves.

• Root Admin

It doesn't sound like typical brush problems but worth checking that one isn't charred. If it isn't connections it could be a problem with the module. It's just with it happening after moving the machine connections are always a suspect unless water's got onto something.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Members

Water is also a suspect, the waste pipe out if the drum was what was blocked but at the pump end so I had a full drum worth of water to contend with. I would have expected an error if a board was faulty but also appreciate it is not always the case. The unit has had plenty of time and warm weather to dry out but still no luck. The better half has already bought a new one but I still want to know what has caused it for my own curiosity. I have until tomorrow afternoon to fix this one before it has to be moved to the shed and stripped for spares.

• Root Admin

You wouldn't necessarily get an error if water got into something. If you lay the machine down with water inside it can seep out and get onto the modules etc. If the noise you heard was when it was plugged in maybe something shorted out? There's nowt much you can do after checking connections.

• Members

Don't worried not daft enough to work on a machine while plugged in so no it wasn't.

Water may still have been present somewhere in the system though after I finished and as I plugged it in straight away so could have done the damage then.

• Root Admin

If the motor turns exactly the same each time you try it and then stops I would suspect a problem with the pcb circuitry.

• Members

It does do exactly the same every time. Would the board in question be housed in the white box sat just above the motor on the side of the drum?

• Root Admin

Yes