John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Failing To Stop When It's At The End Of A Drying Cycle

hannah

• Members

My washer dryer (now around 3yrs old) has recently started failing to stop when it's at the end of a drying cycle. It gets to the final 1 minute according to the display on the door but will just keep tossing the contents around until I force it to switch off by holding down the off button. The contents are then very very hot when removed. I'm not sure if there could be a fault with whatever it is that detects when there is no longer water being removed on the dry cycle, but I'm not technically minded so no idea where to start looking?

• Root Admin

Is this on wash cycle or dry cycle? I know an open circuit main heater can cause the machine to stick at 1 minute if it goes open circuit during a wash.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Root Admin

Sticking with 1 minute left on the display can be caused by many different things. If it was something to do with the main pump, motor or heater it ought to fail on wash so if it's only doing it on the drying cycle the suspect has to be one of the parts only used on the dryer cycle. It probably needs a test meter on it to check resistance and insulation of parts. I've heard of experienced engineers being puzzled by this fault and finding bizarre causes as well as more obvious ones so I can only really recommend getting an engineer in who knows what he's doing.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.