Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

vDUB

Hotpoint Wdd960 F13 Error Code

We have a Hotpoint WDD960 and after starting the drying cycle the machine stops with error F13. It will dry for a random amount of time before stopping so I am confused what the problem could be.

Recently we had the main PCB replaced as the machine wouldn't respond at all so I am ruling this out as the problem.

According to a google search, F13 refers to "Dryer fan or dryer thermisotor faulty"

The odd thing is the machine isn't that old and the dryer has only been used a handful of times in it's whole life. We do have very high PH level in the water here meaning a lot of limescale build up so could this be the problem?

Also the temp sensor would work for the washing cycle also would it not? The machine washes perfectly.

Thanks!

Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

If the fan appears to be running ok, and is not jammed, or stopping running after a while then you'd have to assume it may be the NTC (or thermistor) that's faulty. It should be a small device on the dryer section's heating section near the heating elements and it's like a thermostat controlling temperature.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your Spares (4Washerhelp)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Thanks for the reply!

Is this sensor only for the dryer and not the wash cycle then?

Ok i've found "TEMPERATURE SENSOR NTC RAST 2,5 (HL)" on a website so I'll get that ordered

Thanks again

This should be the genuine spare part Hotpoint Dryer NTC Thermal Limiter

A list of all parts are here - Hotpoint WDD960 washer dryer parts list

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Unfortunately I can't guarantee it will fix the fault. Modern error codes can sometimes mislead, or connection faults can cause error codes implicating the wrong parts to be generated. However, it's such a simple part to replace and not expensive so it should be worth a punt. Please let us know how you get on.

I agree. I read somewhere that because the PCB controls the sensors it could actually be the PCB that's at fault but as we've had an engineer fit a brand new one and the fact that the machine washes fine then it's likely to be this part thats faulty.

I'm going to fit this myself as the board was nearly £200 fitted!

I'll keep you posted

• Like 1

Hi - I know this is an old post that I'm replying to - but i wondered if you had any joy?

Got the same machine with the same faults and I'm trying work out the best thing to do with Xmas on the horizon?

Hotpoint want a stupidly high figure to come out and 'fix' it for 90 day warranty, or an even higher figure for a year fix, but looking at the above part it's only £18.99 - hence me asking.

Our fault has now manifested itself whilst on a wash cycle - would this be the NTC still?

I've just taken the top and back off and put it on a 90C empty wash, but it doesn't appear to be getting as hot as it used to.

Last question (sorry to go on) is this NTC part inside the long silver thing that sits across the top of the drum? (And if so how do you change it?

Hi,

Just seen this thread and I know it’s probably too late but I had had the same problem for a while.

The first thing I did was removing the heat exchanger (the long thin aluminium thing at the top!), opened it up and cleaned the fan. I also cleaned the 'plastic' pipe that it connects to at the back of the drum as it was full of fluff. To do this I used a length of copper wire that I bent a hook shape at one end.

To remove the heat exchange you will need some Torx screwdrivers. You will have to replace the cable tie that needs to be cut at the front that holds it to the rubber seal. Once you have it out and on the bench, be gentle and take your time opening it. I found a large flat screwdriver helped open it up. This solved the problem for about 4 months but then the problem returned.

So, I did the same thing again but this time I also replaced the NTC as is was only £9.00 on eBay for a Hotpoint genuine part - only been a few months since doing this but no problem so far. If I get the error again then I know it’s not the NTC !

Watch out - the NTC for this washer (WDD960) is a long cylindrical shape and not the small flat disk type show. Total length from connector to tip is 5cm. Black connector at one end, approx 2cm, which you can see without opening, and then a silver cylinder approx 3cm in length and 1cm in diameter.

• Like 1

Thanks for your post. The beauty of forum posts is that people find them for many years after so although it could be too late for the original poster it's never too late to add relevant information for all the others that follow.My pet hate is finding forum topics that have been automatically closed down sometimes only months after starting and left completely unanswered so no one could add any important and relevant information. I see this a lot and it is ridiculous.

Manufacturers have a nasty habit of fitting different styles or designs of parts to the same model so it's possible that one washing machine has a specific design of part but another one made several months later with the exact same model number has a totally different part and they are often not interchangeable. This is pretty common indeed so it is technically possible for the NTC fitted on your model to be different. The only way to be sure is to always check your own before ordering. No one should really be ordering any part if they haven't examine the old one first, that's just asking for trouble.

• Like 1

I too would like to thank everyone above, and for the sake of others state the problem I just had.

Any cycle, including the drain cycle,  would halt after a while with F13 error.

Following the advice on here, I took the top off the washing machine and then undid all the small torq screws holding the top half of the dryer/heater silver metal tube. The NTC (or thermistor) a small round cylinder (about the size of half an AA battery) was located on the left hand side.

From the advice on here I ordered a new part (about £20), but the logic of this part affecting and stopping the drain cycle didn't make sense to me. So I ordered a new pump at the same time. Low and behold I only fitted the NTC (or thermistor) and tested and everything is working fine again.

So many thanks everyone, Ill keep the pump as a spare just in case.

• Like 1

I'm very grateful for everyone's comments on here. I never had an F13 error but the dryer did not work. Now I need to have a functioning washer/dryer.

This YouTube video has been extremely helpful (https://www.how-to-repair.com/help/washer-dryer-not-heating-up-on-ariston-creda-hotpoint-indesit-new-world-and-scholtes-washing-machines/).

After testing with my multimeter, I replaced the element. I tried to run the dryer but after a short time I got the F13 error. I replaced the ntc/thermistor. I'm still getting the F13 error. I have used my multimeter to check the circuit across the cutout and the element and that all seems fine.

The heater 'chamber' is hot but the tea towel test item is cold to touch.

I've checked the pipes and they were completely clear. I want to check the water valve next but I can't seem to turn off the water supply - there aren't actual taps (photo too big to upload..).

Any thoughts at this stage please?

Hello ChrisM. If the dryer heater chamber is hot then the fault is likely to be lack of air circulation. Either because of a blockage somewhere or because the dryer fan isn't running or isn't functioning properly. Also have you checked that water is able to run from the condenser chamber into the drum to be pumped away? 

Thanks for your reply Andy. When I replaced the element I checked the fan. It's not too dirty and it's spinning freely. There's no nasty noises when I run the dryer.

Can you tell me how to check that the water can run off?

Based on your description that the heating element is getting hot I suspect that if your washer dryer didn't abort with an error code the symptoms would be that the laundry comes out hot wet and steamy. Try this article which covers not drying faults other than the heating element or stats - Laundry comes out of washer dryer hot & steamy

A friend recently had 'err 13' displayed on her Hotpoint washer dryer - this happened around 25 seconds into the drying cycle. I changed the sensor as suggested but the problem persisted. The cause turned out to be the filter at the back of the washer drum was totally blocked with fluff from washing. To access the filter means removing the heater box on top of the clear plastic inlet pipe, then the inlet pipe itself which is not easy due to the position of the clamp screw.  I eventually got it off and cleaned the filter then refitted.  This sorted the problem - the sensor produced an error as it wasn't getting enough air flow (the blockage prevented the drying heater fan producing enough air to dry the clothes). There was a huge amount of fluff and muck in the filter and it was very satisfying to see the real cause of the fault. I made sure all the filter holes were totally clear using a needle to unblock each one then a thorough wash in clean water. It's worth bearing this in mind if fitting a new sensor doesn't cure the fault.

Richard

• Like 1

Thanks Richard

• Like 1

Hi. Several people have posted descriptions of other things they did within this thread.