John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Is It Safe To Wash Clothes In Moldy Washing Machine Provided The Clothes Do Not Come Out Witha Smell?

Chlorinated

• Members

I have a washing machine which continually builds up mold and despite all the recommended procedures(bleach, vinegar, chemicals, service washes, long washes etc) I am unable to remove the problem.

I notice that despite the presence of continually retruning mold on the rubber, it is only my towels that keep coming out smelling of mold. many of the thin fabric clothes do not smell of mold. However I am assuming that whatever I am putting in there is getting washed in dirty water(likely moldy).

My question is, is it safe to continue to wash clothes in this machine and use the clothes provided they do not smell of anything after I take them out? I have been using the thin fabrics without noticing any ill affects. I can just hand wash my towels. At least this way I can still use the machine(it is only 2 years old) without having to buy a new one.

Thanks

• Root Admin

It's a shame it's in such a state after only 2 years. The chances are that even if you had the door seal replaced or bought a new washing machine it would happen again within 2 years unless you found what was causing it. Black mould isn't normal so it shouldn't be there and something is allowing it to grow. It sounds like you've done some research on the problem but if you haven't already read my article it might help - what causes mould and grease on washing machine?

I would have thought if you can't see or smell anything on those items they may not be having much contact with the mould although there must be some contact on some level even if it's through the water.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Root Admin

I was saying probably, but I'm not able to say definitely sorry. Best thing is to try and get rid of the problem.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Members

I think the biggest problem is the soap. I've noticed how some produce mould while others don't. Since shifting over to Surf I haven't seen any mould plus I think it's biological. I also don't put in the amount they recommend, usually about half and the clothes still come out clean and smelling nice.