Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

madgav

Looking For A Quality Washing Machine.....

Hi All,

Our trusty Hotpoint 9537 (1992 model) has finally carked it and being acutely aware that most stuff in the sub-£500 bracket on sale today is cr*p, I'm looking for something better built (and hopefully more reliable) and am prepared to spend more in order to get that.

This website is great and has helped enormously in my deliberations. So for outright quality/reliability, backed up by a 10 year warranty, go for Miele or ISE. Sorted!

Er... no.

My problem is that I live in Northern Ireland. Despite being (last time I looked) part of the UK, we are specifically excluded from Miele's 10 year warranty (possibly their 5 year one also?). I also dislike their restrictive repair practices which may make it difficult to get an independent repairman to work on. This compounded by being excluded from the longer warranties available elsewhere in the UK.

ISE on the other hand won't sell to NI customers apparently mainly due to after sales repair cover.

All this has left me feeling pretty frustrated in my attempts to buy something other than cheap junk.

Any suggestions as to other quality brands/machines? With a preference for machines having longer warranties, and which are likely to be relatively easy/inexpensive to have repaired by an independent repairman :)

Thanks for any help offered

Gav

Edited by Washerhelp (Andy)

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

After Miele and ISE I personally would by an AEG. They are a big step down from the other two (as most other washers are) but I like their designs, and they have one of the better reputations for spares and technical information compared to many others.

However, they are not the AEG of old and are now competing in the mid price market producing washing machines with plastic tubs as well as employing some of the undesireable modern practices designed to produce cheaper appliances but with the effect of making them less repairable at times, and with a lower longevity that we were used to before.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

After Miele and ISE I personally would by an AEG. They are a big step down from the other two (as most other washers are) but I like their designs, and they have a good reputation for spares and technical information compared to many others.

Thanks for the reply :)

Yea I did read that about AEG in one of your articles, thanks for a great website btw.

It's the 'big step down' bit I don't like though :D I really *want* to spend more and get a quality machine that will last.

I've emailed a couple of local suppliers (and Currys also) to see what their policy is on 5 or 10 year warranties on a Miele, but from what I have read Miele machines are still far from perfect and the idea of a £1000 machine being BER after just a couple of years does NOT appeal ;)

Thanks :-) Yes there is no perfect washing machine yet. The ISE10 is the closest I know because it's much higher quality than most other machines and ISE have a commitment to not profiting from spare parts and freely supplying technical information. Therefore the first time we have a high quality washing machine that is easy and relatively easy and cheap to repair. ( What is the ISE washing machine, and why is it different to other washing machines? )

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

It seems Northern Ireland misses out a lot as it's often excluded from all sorts of things. It's a shame. In the absence of these options though AEG is probably your best bet unless you can find another high quality brand that's adequately looked after over there such as Maytag?

It seems Northern Ireland misses out a lot as it's often excluded from all sorts of things. It's a shame. In the absence of these options though AEG is probably your best bet unless you can find another high quality brand that's adequately looked after over there such as Maytag?

I looked briefly at Maytag due to reading that they are built by the same Swedish company that builds the ISE (but potentially without the backup and lower spares costs?). Then I read that Maytag are owned by Whirlpool which maybe isn't such a good thing?

Some of the AEGs currently have a 5 year warranty, not sure if there are any 'geographical' restriction as for Miele :angry:

I read the article 'the great washing machine swindle' and see that the Electrolux group (which includes AEG) use sealed drums on some of their machines, is this something I should be concerned about with AEG?

I read the article 'the great washing machine swindle' and see that the Electrolux group (which includes AEG) use sealed drums on some of their machines, is this something I should be concerned about with AEG?

It's a very outrageous practice by more and more manufacturers these days. I don't have a list unfortunately of which models are affected but many brands are doing it now. It's all part of the throwaway manufacturing. This is why the ISE10 is the best and the only one I can truly recommend as the best - but at a price.

All the new AEG machines have protex drums which are sealed apparently. Ruling them out then.

What about Siemens as a mid range option with 5 year warranty? Do they used sealed drums?

I got some info from Miele Ireland and they say that their 6kg machines come with a 2 year warranty and their 7kg and 8kg machines come with a 5 year warranty.

This covering all of Ireland north & south.

No 10 year warranties this side of the Irish Sea apparently :(

Obviously Currys haven't heard this as they said Miele machines come with a 12 month ( :angry: ) manufacturer warranty but that at time of purchase the sales person in-store would 'offer' an extended warranty :angry:

This after they consulted with Miele UK.....

So Miele Ireland apparently telling a different story from Miele UK....

Why the difference in warranties between UK & Ireland that's what I want to know :(

Even mid range manufacturers offer a 5 year warranty on some of their machines (and they'd be cheaper to repair out of warranty than a Miele).

Also, some other stuff that is bothering me:

- Why are there no Miele washing machines on www.currys.ie? But plenty on www.currys.co.uk?

- Why is the W1914 (lowest priced 7kg machine) not listed on Miele Ireland's site (www.miele.ie)? But is on www.miele.co.uk?

I presume it's because Ireland is a different country and they always vary policies and models in different countries to suit themselves and their perceived different market requirements.

Hi

Iam looking to buy a new washing machine which of these brands would you recommend to be most reliable and easy to get parts for or is there a

machine that you would recommend around the £500 mark.

Bosch BLACK EDITION WAE244B1GB

LG STEAM DIRECT DRIVE F1479FDS6

BEKO EXCELLENCE WMB91242LB

Ive currently got a whirlpool aqua steam but the pulley has gone on it and carnt find the right part anywere.

If I had to buy from that list I'd buy a Bosch, but Bosch aren't renowned for having easily available technical information and LG are worse. Zanussi have a better reputation for parts and technical info as do AEG.

In response to the main part of this thread I would say Siemens, they offer 5 Years parts & Labour in the UK and Ireland. They are easily repaired as they have no sealed tub unit unlike all AEGs these days, and Siemens IQ-500 & IQ-700 machines sometimes have promotions for 10 year Motor Guarantee available in Ireland too.

To be honest, If you look at features, your best to choose something like Miele, Siemens, AEG. ISE only have a few basic programmes, ok they will last long, but at that price, makes me think, I could get a Siemens with better features, and German build.

The AEG and all electrolux machines these days are produced in Italy or much poorer countries, none are made in Germany any more, and all have sealed units.

German Build, and also Swedish build is very good, compared to Italy, Thailand, Poland, China etc.

Hall2012 - Choose the Bosch or LG. Th Beko is cheap and flimsy, but will be easily fixed if something goes wrong.

Why can't washers be made in Britain like they used to - would be much better!