On a Hoover New Wave 1100 model AC170.

Over the last week I have been getting error E1 when trying to carry out a wash.

I normally run program 5 (non-fast coloureds). When I ran the program today, I noticed that the error came up about ten seconds after the main wash cycle, as it was starting to empty. I re-ran it on a different program, and again it stopped about ten seconds into the emptying cycle.

I changed the program to a fast spin, and the machine emptied correctly without any error, and ran the spin cycle fully.

Not sure therefore where the fault is and how much further testing I can do before trying to take the machine apart.

Any suggestions?

The old Hoover New Wave wasn't very sophisticated by today's standards. E1 error could mean a time out on fill or empty or even heating. Make sure it's not timing out on heat and aborting the wash (is the water coming out cold?). Alternatively when it's draining the water it waits for a signal from the pressure switch to say all the water has gone. If there's a blockage in the pressure system it won't receive that error and could time out on empty. However, it should take a minute or two to time out on empty.

If you suspect it could be timing out on empty search the old Hoover repairs forum for blocked pressure system. If you suspect it could be timing out on heat check the heater and connections, especially the wiring in the harness leading to the heater.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• 1 month later...

Finally got round to taking the machine apart and found an old mortice key on the inflow to the wasteflow pump! Removed this and also checked the outflow pipe (all clear), but still getting the same error E1 about 10 seconds after the machine tries to empty after the wash cycle.

Regards

Robert

When it gives the error is it stopping full of water or still draining the water? The key would only cause a problem in the sump hose if it had attracted lots of fluff which caused a blockage, otherwise the water wouldn't be affected by a key. If there's a ball in the sump hose and it is sticky, they can stick and stop the washing machine emptying. Either clean it up or remove it altogether. It's not an essential part.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Andy

When it stops, it has been draining water for about 8 to 10 seconds.

We checked all the hoses around the pump and to the trap under the sink and they were all clear. We found that there was resistance to trying to turn the pump by hand, but assumed that this was down to the strong magnets/coils.

Still don't understand why it should fail of pumping out on any of the wash programs but works fine on the two spin programs!

Don't know if this is the stage I give up and go and get another machine. According to Which? the Hotpoint WMPF742 rates as one of their Best Buys, but at under half the price of the LG and Miele machines that top the list.

Robert

Check there isn't a pressure chamber blockage, they were very common on the New Wave machines. If water isn't draining out of the pressure chamber fast enough maybe the machine isn't getting a signal that water is leaving the machine. There's loads about blocked pressure chambers in my old archived Hoover washing machine forums