I am glad to find this site! My situation is: I have just moved into a new apartment and the washer has a bad odor that smells like rotten something? My brother says this can happen because the washer is old and residue from mold and soap builds up in the tub that holds the tub you put clothes in. Also, if you look on the top of the tub and move it around and look down the sides, it is gross and VERY grimey. I have washed bleach loads and left the lid open to air out the smell but it still reeks.

My questions are... What is causing the problem? How can it be solved? Is this washer healthy to be using?

Old washing machines can give off bad odors and nasty smells. A build up of grease and gunge can coat the washing machine inside. This gunge can be everywhere. The main cause of this is delt with in this section, and it features suggested remedies too - Washing machine smells - causes of grease, slime and black mould inside washing machines

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Book your Repair

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Order your Spares

Ransom Spares is a family company with over 1 million white goods appliance spare parts for sale. Next day delivery available, friendly company with over 5000 reviews on Trust Pilot

Price match promise: "If you find the exact same part or accessory elsewhere for cheaper, we’ll not only match it, we’ll beat it!" -

Buy your appliance spare part