John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Siemens Wm14S496Gb Or Bosch Logixx 8 Was28461Gb? [Undecided]

Hi there,

Our "t/rusty" 10-year-old Hoover washer-dryer died at the weekend. It's far from the best performer, so we've decided to replace rather than repair. Also: we thought we might split the function and get a separate washer and dryer. Popping in to John Lewis and getting some help led us as far as the Siemens WM14S496GB (£549 after trade-in, 5 year parts/labour guarantee; 10 year guarantee on motor). I felt a little talked-up to it, although, to be fair, we had shown interest in the low-end Mieles (though talk of the high repair costs put me off them a bit).

The things that appeal are: very adjustable programmes, apparently simple controls, large drum, low temp/cold wash, quieter IQ motor (it sits at the far back end of an L-shaped kitchen diner, so sound can be a bother), curtain programme, anti-leak shutoff. And the 5-year guarantee. Unfortunately, I can find no reviews for this model anywhere (Which? or otherwise) so perhaps it's very new(?)

I was a little disappointed/concerned that Siemens seems to rank a little lower in reliability than Bosch on Which?. Both our parents always seems to buy Bosch; they have a market perception as being pretty solid, but the shorter guarantees and generally slightly-flimsier build-feel in the shop didn't appeal overmuch.

However, casting about on the JL website, this Bosch looked like a decent bet too: Bosch Logixx 8 WAS28461GB Factoring in rebates, there's about £80 difference, but it only has a 4-year guarantee. Also: it's not in stock, so we could be without a machine longer.

I wondered if you/anyone might have any thoughts on the relative merits/build/reliability of the two brands (I understand the link between the companies), please?

Many thanks for your help!

Adam

As you know they are both owned by the same company. Siemens are their more upmarket appliances and Bosch are their budget-mid price appliances. I don't think there is significant difference in build quality, there may be a little, but most difference is likely to be in features.

I used to favour AEG on the basis that I don't think they are inferior in quality but they have a much better reputation in the trade for availability of tech support, error code information and parts. However, as all their washing machines now appear to have totally sealed outer tubs, which cannot be stripped down to repair several possible faults I would argue that's a good reason not to buy them.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear washerhelp,

I have also a question regarding Bosch washing machines.

The S series from Bosch and Siemens have the new IQ engine with inverter.

Do you know if the new Q series from Bosch have this type of engine?

Comparing the WAS24468ME with WAQ2446KBY regarding the sound they make is just a very small difference 53db washing/73db squeezing for S series and 53db/73db for the Q series.

Taking in consideration the the Q series have a sound absorbing floor i think they both have the same engine.

The problem is the on Bosch or Siemens website, at the specification this information is missing for Q series but is mentioned at the S series.

I already contact the Bosch consumers consulting service from my country but they appear to be less informed than me.

Best regards.

• 3 months later...

VladF

I think you will find they have two different Engines.

The WAQ series has sound proofing around the machine to draw out sound caused by a quiet motor which has brushes. This motor is the same motor just re designed for 7KG/8KG(depending on country) as the old Bosch machines, dating back to 90's.

The WAE, WAA series have a loud whining motor, with no sound proofing. The WAS series have a permanent magnet motor (Brushless) without sound proofing. The WAS series is about 1-2db quieter when spinning, than the WAQ series. The wash is about the same.